Vail Public Library
Code of Conduct
Vail Public Library strives to provide a safe, comfortable and welcoming environment for our customers. We offer open and respectful access for all while reserving the right to enforce reasonable rules and guidelines to this end. In addition to all applicable federal, state and local laws, the following are intended to guide library users in their conduct at Vail Public Library:
- Children eleven years of age and under must be accompanied by a guardian or caretaker who is at least sixteen years of age.
- Cell phones should be silenced or set to vibrate. In consideration of others, calls are to be taken outside the building, in the Galleria, or in the Social Computer Area at the rear of the library.
- Food and/or beverages are not permitted in the library (this includes water). Refreshments are only allowed in the Community Room, in the Galleria or at Library-sponsored events.
- The following are prohibited in the library as well as on library property:
- * Possession or use of alcohol or illegal drugs, or being under the influence.
- * Possession or use of medical or recreational marijuana.
- * Smoking, use of electronic smoking devices, or use of tobacco products.
- Animals are not permitted in the library with the exception of ‘service dogs’ which must be on a leash at all times and clearly identified as being a service animal.
- The library prohibits creation of any public disturbance including the use of obscene language; deviant, threatening, harassing or abusive behavior, whether in general or directed at any specific person or persons; or, offensive smells or sounds that constitute a nuisance.
- Gambling, solicitation or sleeping is not permitted on library property. Napping in an upright position is
- Theft, damage, alteration or destruction of library property is a crime and will be prosecuted.
- Personal belongings are limited to two shopping bags, or the equivalent, and may not be left unattended.
- Skis, snowboards and other athletic equipment are not permitted in the library.
- A shirt and shoes must be worn at all times while in the library.
- Washing clothes or bathing is not permitted in the library’s restrooms.
- Possession of weapons, including firearms and knives, is prohibited except by legal permit.
- Please do not leave trash around the library but instead use the designated trash/recycling containers found throughout the library.
Members of the library staff will enforce these policies. Persons unable or unwilling to cease unacceptable conduct will be asked to leave. Law enforcement may be notified. The library reserves the right to restrict access to persons who do not comply with the above expectations and who refuse to cooperate with library personnel.