"History is written by the winners. The books say the Indians were bad guys and the whites just needed a little land. It's like, Excuse me, let me take your car. I'm discovering it. I'm putting my flag on your windshield."
—Mario Van Peebles
- Malaria 'spreading to new altitudes' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 01:13:24 GMT
- Warmer temperatures are causing malaria to spread in the African and South American highlands, traditionally havens from the disease, scientists say.
- Warning over hospital superbug rise Fri, 07 Mar 2014 03:26:05 GMT
- Sixteen patients have died in Manchester over the past four years while infected with a highly resistant superbug, figures show.
- Arsenal v Everton Fri, 07 Mar 2014 11:57:12 GMT
- Everton manager Roberto Martinez concedes his side's FA Cup quarter-final at the Emirates may have come at a "bad time".
- Russian baddies are back Sat, 08 Mar 2014 01:08:54 GMT
- From the 1930s to present day, Russians have been portrayed as murderous thugs on the big and small screen in the West.
- The restaurants that thrive on insulting their diners Fri, 07 Mar 2014 00:32:44 GMT
- A Chinese eatery dubbed "London's rudest" has promised better service. Is insulting your customers ever a good idea?
- ICC convicts Congo militia leader Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:54:06 GMT
- The International Criminal Court finds Congo militia leader Germain Katanga guilty of complicity in war crimes but acquits him of sexual offences.
- Anwar gets jail term for sodomy Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:35:57 GMT
- A Malaysian court sentences opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim to five years in jail after overturning his acquittal on sodomy charges.
- Schumacher condition 'not changed' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:53:14 GMT
- Doctors treating injured Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher are still working to bring him out of a coma.
- Venezuela expels Panama diplomats Fri, 07 Mar 2014 05:12:08 GMT
- Venezuela expels Panama's ambassador and three others as President Nicolas Maduro accuses the country of meddling amid ongoing opposition rallies.
- Niger extradites Gaddafi's son Thu, 06 Mar 2014 11:30:42 GMT
- The Libyan government says former leader Col Muammar Gaddafi's son, Saadi, has been extradited from Niger and is now in custody in Tripoli.
- 'Drunk' man sues Las Vegas casino Fri, 07 Mar 2014 02:36:41 GMT
- A US businessman who lost $500,000 (£298,000) at a Las Vegas casino argues he should not have to pay - because he was too intoxicated.
- Lawrence mother demands Met 'action' Sat, 08 Mar 2014 06:00:58 GMT
- The mother of murdered teenager Stephen Lawrence urges the Met's chief to take "decisive action" after a report concluded police officers spied on her family.
- Clare's Law introduced against abuse Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:26:50 GMT
- A scheme to let people to find out from police if their partner has a history of domestic violence is introduced across England and Wales.
- Lib Dems to push for income tax cuts Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:49:43 GMT
- Raising the income tax allowance to £12,500 will be a Lib Dem demand in future coalition talks, the party is to say.
- Two charged over death of toddler Fri, 07 Mar 2014 21:42:19 GMT
- A man and a woman are charged with causing or allowing the death of a two-year-old girl who ingested the heroin substitute methadone.