"'What is the use of a book,' thought Alice, 'without pictures or conversations?'"
—Lewis Carroll (1832-98) [Charles Lutwidge Dodgson] British mathematician, writer
- Glaxo 'paid Polish doctors bribes' Sun, 13 Apr 2014 23:04:46 GMT
- UK drug company GlaxoSmithKline is facing a criminal investigation in Poland for allegedly bribing doctors, BBC Panorama discovers.
- Arsenal 3-1 West Ham United Tue, 15 Apr 2014 21:38:50 GMT
- Arsenal come from behind to beat West Ham 3-1 and move back above Everton into fourth place in the Premier League.
- A 13-year-old eagle huntress in Mongolia Mon, 14 Apr 2014 21:12:29 GMT
- A photographer recently snapped perhaps the only girl in the world learning to hunt with a golden eagle.
- How to move a T-Rex dinosaur Tue, 15 Apr 2014 11:16:49 GMT
- One of the most complete tyrannosaurus skeletons ever found is being moved from Montana to Washington DC. There, hundreds of millions of people will eventually be able to view it.
- 'Mass abduction' at Nigeria school Tue, 15 Apr 2014 17:25:17 GMT
- Armed men have abducted some 100 students from a girls' school in north-eastern Nigeria, officials say.
- Six killed in India bus fire Wed, 16 Apr 2014 04:04:02 GMT
- At least six people die after the bus they were travelling in caught fire in India's southern state of Karnataka, police say.
- Berlusconi to do community service Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:04:37 GMT
- Italian ex-PM Silvio Berlusconi must perform community service in a home for the elderly, following his conviction for tax fraud.
- Chilean residents survey fire damage Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:56:36 GMT
- Residents of the Chilean city of Valparaiso return to areas burned by a fast-moving forest fire which engulfed parts of the historic port.
- Iraq shuts notorious Abu Ghraib jail Tue, 15 Apr 2014 17:58:47 GMT
- Iraq's government closes the notorious Abu Ghraib prison because of what it says are security concerns.
- Boston marks bombing anniversary Wed, 16 Apr 2014 00:58:42 GMT
- Boston marks the anniversary of the deadly bombing at last year's marathon, honouring the dead and lauding the strength of the survivors.
- 'Shocking' rise in use of food banks Wed, 16 Apr 2014 02:29:02 GMT
- Hundreds of thousands more people are turning to food banks to stop themselves from going hungry, says charity the Trussell Trust.
- Parents find out primary places Wed, 16 Apr 2014 03:00:16 GMT
- Parents across England are going to find whether they have their preferred choice of primary school place.
- UK warns Russia on long-term future Wed, 16 Apr 2014 04:51:29 GMT
- There will be serious long-term consequences if Russia continues to destabilise Ukraine, Foreign Secretary William Hague says.
- Fresh approach to NI past 'vital' Tue, 15 Apr 2014 22:59:32 GMT
- Any new process which examines NI's past must have a "proportionate focus on the wrongdoing of paramilitaries" and less on the activities of the state, the secretary of state is due to say.
- Day in pictures: 15 April 2014 Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:01:43 GMT
- News photos from past 24 hours: 15 April