"Perhaps a modern society can remain stable only by eliminating adolescence, by giving its young, from the age of ten, the skills, responsibilities, and rewards of grownups, and opportunites for action in all spheres of life. Adolescence should be a time of useful action, while book learning and scholarship should be a preoccupation of adults."
—Eric Hoffer (1902-83) American philosopher
- Nadal hammers Federer in Rome final Sun, 19 May 2013 15:41:18 GMT
- Rafael Nadal drops only four games as he beats Roger Federer to win his seventh Italian Open title.
- Tweets of the week: IRS, Beyonce's baby and Bea Arthur Fri, 17 May 2013 21:46:57 GMT
- For the week ending 17 May, here is a look at the news making waves in America - all in 140 characters or less.
- Breast cancer: What is the risk? Fri, 17 May 2013 23:27:50 GMT
- Angelina Jolie had a mastectomy after being told there was an 87% chance she would develop breast cancer. How high is the risk for other women?
- Massacre suspect held in Ivory Coast Sat, 18 May 2013 20:57:15 GMT
- The authorities in Ivory Coast arrest militia leader Amade Oueremi, suspected of one of the worst massacres during 2011 post-election violence.
- China Premier Li Keqiang in India Sun, 19 May 2013 06:44:28 GMT
- China's Premier Li Keqiang travels to India for his first foreign visit since taking office, with border tensions and trade topping the agenda.
- Disgraced French minister bows out Sun, 19 May 2013 14:44:39 GMT
- A French government minister who quit over revelations of his undeclared Swiss bank account says he will not stand again for election.
- El Salvador gangs warn over truce Sun, 19 May 2013 00:16:24 GMT
- The leaders of the main gangs in El Salvador vow to maintain a 14-month-long truce, but say political changes threaten the peace.
- Fresh violence kills eight in Iraq Sat, 18 May 2013 13:51:31 GMT
- Fresh outbreaks of violence in Iraq have left at least eight people dead, police say, hours after the worst day of sectarian violence in the country for months.
- Malcolm X grandson suspects remanded Sun, 19 May 2013 03:20:55 GMT
- Two men suspected of killing Malcolm Shabazz, the grandson of US political activist Malcolm X, are remanded in custody in Mexico.
- Five injured in house explosion Sun, 19 May 2013 20:44:47 GMT
- An explosion injures five people, destroys a house and severely damages another, in Nottinghamshire.
- West Brom 5-5 Man Utd Sun, 19 May 2013 17:48:01 GMT
- Sir Alex Ferguson is denied victory in his 1,500th and final Manchester United game by Romelu Lukaku's hat-trick.
- One dead, two injured in plane crash Sun, 19 May 2013 15:43:20 GMT
- Police confirm one man has died and two other people are critically ill after a light aircraft crashes in Gwynedd.
- Philpott mother to fight jail term Sun, 19 May 2013 14:42:53 GMT
- A lawyer representing Mairead Philpott, who killed her six children in a fire, says she will appeal against her 17-year jail term.
- Week in pictures: 11-17 May 2013 Fri, 17 May 2013 15:40:43 GMT
- Some of the best news photos this week
- Day in pictures: 17 May 2013 Fri, 17 May 2013 13:30:21 GMT
- Twenty-four hours of news photos: 17 May