"When I get a little money, I buy books. And if there is any left over, I buy food."
—Deciderius Erasmus (1466?-1536) Dutch Renaissance scholar, theologian
- VIDEO: Can Obama perfect the Japanese bow? Thu, 24 Apr 2014 03:27:29 GMT
- President Obama is under pressure to perfect his Japanese etiquette during his official tour of the country.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Thu, 24 Apr 2014 04:46:49 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Andy Murray in tears at Stirling award Wed, 23 Apr 2014 13:55:42 GMT
- Tennis star Andy Murray has been awarded the freedom of Stirling in a ceremony which made the Wimbledon champion break down in tears.
- VIDEO: 'We just want to live normally' Wed, 23 Apr 2014 05:19:03 GMT
- The BBC meets a pro-Russian family living in a rural area of Ukraine, who say their support for Moscow does not mean they are separatists.
- VIDEO: Upcycling: Ethical way to do fashion Wed, 23 Apr 2014 20:47:20 GMT
- There is a drive to get us to be more ethical when it comes to buying clothes - and it involves spending less and recycling more.
- VIDEO: DJ Duke: Will and Kate hit the decks Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:52:03 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have been taught how to DJ, during the latest leg of their royal tour of Australia.
- VIDEO: Pensioner risks life on level crossing Thu, 24 Apr 2014 08:20:36 GMT
- CCTV footage has captured the moment a man in Czech Republic was hit by a speeding train - but walked away with only minor injuries.
- Lupita Nyong'o named most beautiful Thu, 24 Apr 2014 09:07:13 GMT
- Kenyan Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong'o, 31, is named the world's most beautiful person for 2014 by the US People magazine.
- Cost of recalls hits GM profits Thu, 24 Apr 2014 13:09:43 GMT
- General Motors sees first quarter profits hit by a $1.3bn charge to cover the cost of a huge recall of cars over defective ignition switches
- Apple profits beat expectations Wed, 23 Apr 2014 22:23:41 GMT
- Technology giant Apple plans a share buyback after it reports profits of $10.2bn, selling a more than 43 million iPhones in the second quarter of 2014.
- A new kind of tech bubble Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:21:07 GMT
- Scientists at Bristol University are bringing bubbles and technology together in unexpected - and potentially profitable - ways.
- Warhol works found on Amiga disks Thu, 24 Apr 2014 11:24:28 GMT
- A dozen previously unknown works created by Andy Warhol have been recovered from 30-year-old Amiga disks.
- Jodie Foster marries girlfriend Thu, 24 Apr 2014 06:00:45 GMT
- US actress Jodie Foster marries her girlfriend Alexandra Hedison, the actress's representative confirms.
- Banksy street works to be auctioned Thu, 24 Apr 2014 08:34:15 GMT
- A collection of street art works by Banksy, removed from walls, is to go on display at a London hotel before being sold at auction.
- UK team to shoot for fusion record Thu, 24 Apr 2014 09:38:27 GMT
- The director of a UK science facility says it could set a new world record in nuclear fusion by the end of the decade.