"It does not matter how many books you have, but how good the books are which you have."
—Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC?-AD 65) [The Younger] Roman Stoic philosopher, writer, tutor
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:52:17 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Petitioners channel anger in Beijing Thu, 06 Mar 2014 23:38:52 GMT
- With China's annual legislative session underway thousands of people have headed to Beijing to petition the government.
- VIDEO: Risks of Peru's illegal 'gold rush' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 06:06:32 GMT
- Encouraged by the soaring price of gold, hundreds of thousands of poorer people in Peru have been trying to strike gold in the country's makeshift mines, operating outside the law.
- VIDEO: Shadow puppets come into the light Thu, 06 Mar 2014 20:42:08 GMT
- A look at efforts in Java to bring the ancient Indonesian art of shadow puppet theatre alive.
- VIDEO: Harry launches injured soldier games Thu, 06 Mar 2014 14:02:55 GMT
- Prince Harry has officially launched a Paralympic-style sporting championship for injured military personnel.
- Bitcoin not a currency says Japan Fri, 07 Mar 2014 02:15:14 GMT
- Japan's government says Bitcoin is not a currency but that some transactions using the virtual unit should be taxed.
- Safeway to be sold to Cerberus Fri, 07 Mar 2014 00:09:28 GMT
- US supermarket firm Safeway agrees to be bought by an investment group led by Cerberus Capital Management, the owner of Albertsons and other supermarket chains.
- Abortion provider hit by data fine Fri, 07 Mar 2014 11:50:49 GMT
- An abortion provider has been fined £200,000 for a data breach that revealed thousands of people's details to a hacker.
- VIDEO: 'Superman suit' lets man lift 100kg Mon, 03 Mar 2014 17:39:04 GMT
- Engineers in Italy have developed a wearable robot which they claim is the most sophisticated built in the world to date.
- Tartt and Atwood vie for book award Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:48:13 GMT
- Margaret Atwood, Donna Tartt and Booker winner Eleanor Catton are among the novelists longlisted for this year's Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction.
- Washington set for Grey's Anatomy Fri, 07 Mar 2014 11:52:47 GMT
- Actor Isaiah Washington is to return to US medical drama Grey's Anatomy, seven years after he was fired from the show after using a gay slur.
- Cowboy 'trick rope physics' revealed Fri, 07 Mar 2014 00:20:47 GMT
- A French scientist has unravelled a formula for trick roping, made famous in Western movies, to teach himself how to lasso like a cowboy.
- Tree storm damage 'worst since 1987' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:52:48 GMT
- This winter's extreme winds caused the biggest loss of trees in in more than 20 years, according to the National Trust.
- Warning over hospital superbug rise Fri, 07 Mar 2014 03:26:05 GMT
- Sixteen patients have died in Manchester over the past four years while infected with a highly resistant superbug, figures show.
- Immune upgrade gives 'HIV shielding' Thu, 06 Mar 2014 11:55:06 GMT
- Doctors have upgraded the immune system of 12 patients with HIV to help shield it from the virus's onslaught.