"In politics I am growing indifferent -- I would like it, if I could now return to my planting and books at home."
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 18 Apr 2014 14:44:43 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Anxious time for Syria's Christians Fri, 18 Apr 2014 05:23:39 GMT
- Around the world Christians are marking Holy Week in the run up to Easter, but for Syria's Christians, it is also an anxious time as the country's war drags on into a fourth year.
- VIDEO: Marquez tributes in Latin America Fri, 18 Apr 2014 08:25:20 GMT
- The BBC's Will Grant reports from Mexico where readers celebrate the work of author Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who lived in the country for 40 years.
- VIDEO: 'Most Earth-like planet yet' found Fri, 18 Apr 2014 03:39:18 GMT
- A planet that is close in size to the Earth and that could hold water on its surface has been identified by the Kepler telescope.
- VIDEO: Jerusalem's holy sites in 2.5 minutes Mon, 14 Apr 2014 11:52:16 GMT
- Guided tour of Jerusalem's holiest sites in two-and-a-half minutes.
- Female cave insects have 'penises' Fri, 18 Apr 2014 04:51:03 GMT
- Female insects with 'penises' have been discovered in Brazil - the first example of an animal with sex-reversed genitalia.
- Gold found in Indian man's stomach Fri, 18 Apr 2014 06:51:01 GMT
- A stack of 12 bars of gold were recovered from the stomach of a businessman in the Indian capital, Delhi, a surgeon treating him tells the BBC.
- US banking giants see mixed results Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:34:30 GMT
- US banking giant Goldman Sachs reports a drop in net earnings while Morgan Stanley sees profits jump.
- Weibo shares surge on US debut Thu, 17 Apr 2014 21:10:20 GMT
- Shares in China's largest Twitter-like service, Weibo, went up by almost 20% on the first day of its listing in the US, despite a disappointing start.
- German media boss criticises Google Thu, 17 Apr 2014 13:20:24 GMT
- In an open letter to Google's Eric Schmidt the boss of German publishing firm Axel Springer says it is afraid of the search giant.
- Lavabit loses contempt appeal Thu, 17 Apr 2014 10:37:07 GMT
- A US appeals court upholds a contempt of court ruling against the secure email service provider Lavabit used by whistleblower Edward Snowden.
- Prince re-signs with 'slave' label Fri, 18 Apr 2014 15:49:23 GMT
- Pop star Prince signs a major deal with Warner Bros Records, the label he famously fell out with nearly 20 years ago.
- Easter funeral for Peaches Geldof Fri, 18 Apr 2014 10:04:22 GMT
- Peaches Geldof's funeral is to be held on Easter Monday at the church where she was married and her mother's funeral held, her family says.
- Ancient life 'frozen' by impacts Fri, 18 Apr 2014 01:54:53 GMT
- Ancient grasses from the Pampas of Argentina were preserved when asteroids struck the area, scientists report.
- EU green light for UK carbon project Thu, 17 Apr 2014 16:12:16 GMT
- A British project to capture CO2 and bury it under the North Sea looks set to receive a 300m-euro boost from the EU.