"I think a good novel would be where a bunch of men on a ship are looking for a whale. They look and look, but you know what? They never find him. And you know why they never find him? It doesn't say. The book leaves it up to you, the reader, to decide. Then, at the very end, there's a page you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- VIDEO: Police 'clean up' Mafia stronghold Sat, 25 May 2013 07:46:59 GMT
- The area of Scampia outside Naples, has the infamous reputation of being one of the biggest drug-trafficking sites in Europe.
- VIDEO: Cheese-maker warned over hill roll Sat, 25 May 2013 07:36:30 GMT
- The woman who has supplied the wheel of cheese for Gloucester's famous annual cheese-rolling event has been told by police she may be liable for legal action.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sat, 25 May 2013 05:36:51 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: The Queen and her passion for horses Fri, 24 May 2013 23:05:20 GMT
- A one-off BBC documentary presented by Clare Balding charts the Queen's enduring relationship with horses and an astonishing 65-year career as one of Britain's leading breeders.
- VIDEO: The book clubs that find bestsellers Fri, 24 May 2013 01:24:23 GMT
- Hookline Books have started a new way of finding bestsellers with book groups at the heart of the decision-making process.
- VIDEO: Openly gay US Boy Scouts allowed Fri, 24 May 2013 08:53:09 GMT
- The Boy Scouts of America organisation has voted to welcome openly gay scouts from January 2014, but a ban on openly gay adult scout leaders will remain in place.
- VIDEO: First halal food fair for Sarajevo Fri, 24 May 2013 16:01:50 GMT
- Food lovers and businessmen attend Sarajevo's first ever halal food fair, set up in response to a rise in demand for halal food products in the wider Balkans region and beyond in recent years.
- Germany reports sluggish growth Fri, 24 May 2013 08:53:22 GMT
- Germany's economy barely grew in the first quarter of the year, figures show, as private consumption helped offset shrinking exports and investment.
- News Corp to split in two on 28 June Fri, 24 May 2013 15:21:38 GMT
- News Corp announces it will officially split its publishing and entertainment businesses on 28 June, two years after the UK phone-hacking scandal involving the News of the World.
- Faltering Facebook phone is delayed Fri, 24 May 2013 11:46:41 GMT
- Social networking giant postpones the launch of its "Facebook phone" after negative feedback and disappointing sales.
- Amazon reveals fan fiction platform Fri, 24 May 2013 11:41:33 GMT
- Fan fiction authors will be able to publish and sell some titles in the US via new e-book platform Kindle Worlds.
- Lesbian drama is Cannes favourite Fri, 24 May 2013 12:01:30 GMT
- An intimate love story between two young women receives rave reviews in Cannes days before the winner of the Palme d'Or is announced.
- British hopefuls up for US TV awards Fri, 24 May 2013 09:34:02 GMT
- Damian Lewis and Sienna Miller are among the British stars nominated for the annual US Critics' Choice Awards.
- Cockroaches evolving to evade traps Fri, 24 May 2013 00:18:40 GMT
- Cockroaches are outsmarting our efforts to kill them by evolving to avoid the taste of sugar traps, a study reveals.
- Genetics of white tigers pinpointed Thu, 23 May 2013 16:23:12 GMT
- Chinese scientists trace the rare white colouration in Bengal tigers to a single change in a gene that affects a host of animals, including humans.