"It meant that New York philanthropists, New York society, would now rediscover the library. ... that learning, books, education have glamour, that self-improvement has glamour, that hope has glamour."
—Vartan Gregorian President, NY Public Library
- VIDEO: Syria-held French journalists freed Sun, 20 Apr 2014 02:08:22 GMT
- Four French journalists held captive in Syria for almost a year have been freed.
- VIDEO: Rio Olympics: Reason to be concerned Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:56:42 GMT
- The president of the International Olympic Committee says “there is reason to be concerned” about preparations for the Rio Olympics.
- Stars read leaked Tarantino script Sun, 20 Apr 2014 11:22:44 GMT
- Samuel L Jackson, Bruce Dern and Michael Madsen join Quentin Tarantino for a live reading of a leaked, unproduced film script.
- Jack White cuts single in four hours Sun, 20 Apr 2014 11:35:32 GMT
- Jack White records and cuts a single in four hours, and claims a world record has been broken.
- US banking giants see mixed results Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:34:30 GMT
- US banking giant Goldman Sachs reports a drop in net earnings while Morgan Stanley sees profits jump.
- Two government agencies quit CBI Sun, 20 Apr 2014 14:35:34 GMT
- Scottish government agencies Scottish Enterprise and Visit Scotland have quit business lobby organisation CBI after it formally backed the campaign against Scottish independence.
- German media boss criticises Google Thu, 17 Apr 2014 13:20:24 GMT
- In an open letter to Google's Eric Schmidt the boss of German publishing firm Axel Springer says it is afraid of the search giant.
- Lavabit loses contempt appeal Thu, 17 Apr 2014 10:37:07 GMT
- A US appeals court upholds a contempt of court ruling against the secure email service provider Lavabit used by whistleblower Edward Snowden.
- Crouching Tiger prequel set to shoot Sun, 20 Apr 2014 16:09:20 GMT
- A prequel to Oscar-winning martial arts film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon will begin filming later this year.
- Paolo Nutini sets 2014 sales record Sun, 20 Apr 2014 18:01:28 GMT
- Scottish singer-songwriter Paolo Nutini tops the charts with Caustic Love, which becomes the fastest-selling album of the year.
- Ancient life 'frozen' by impacts Fri, 18 Apr 2014 01:54:53 GMT
- Ancient grasses from the Pampas of Argentina were preserved when asteroids struck the area, scientists report.
- SpaceX launches station cargo flight Fri, 18 Apr 2014 22:06:02 GMT
- US company SpaceX launches its latest re-supply mission to the International Space Station, sending up a Dragon freighter to rendezvous with the orbiting platform on Sunday.
- Foreign doctors 'need tougher tests' Fri, 18 Apr 2014 12:03:35 GMT
- Tests taken by foreign doctors who want to work in the NHS should be made harder to pass to bring them in line with UK standards, a study says.
- Sensors to prevent pain for amputees Mon, 14 Apr 2014 23:41:59 GMT
- Researchers have developed a new type of pressure sensor - dubbed a "second skin" - which they say could prevent dangerous sores.
- Norwich City 2-3 Liverpool Sun, 20 Apr 2014 13:35:18 GMT
- Liverpool open up a five-point lead at the top of the Premier League after a hard-fought win over relegation-battling Norwich.