"From your parents you learn love and laughter and how to put one foot before the other. But when books are opened you discover that you have wings."
—Helen Hayes (b. 1900) American actress, Academy Award winner
- Ferry deaths 'murder' - Korea leader Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:30:33 GMT
- South Korean President Park Geun-hye condemns the conduct of some of the crew of the ferry that sank last week, calling it "akin to murder".
- Russia says Kiev 'breaking accord' Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:20:16 GMT
- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov accuses the Kiev authorities of breaking last week's Geneva accord on resolving the Ukraine crisis.
- Boy survives flight in wheel well Mon, 21 Apr 2014 07:06:33 GMT
- A 16-year-old boy survives an extraordinary journey hidden in the wheel well of a five-hour flight from California to Hawaii.
- Boston set for emotional Marathon Mon, 21 Apr 2014 09:18:17 GMT
- Boston is set to hold an emotional annual marathon amid high security, a year after bombs near the finish killed three and injured hundreds.
- MH370 hunt 'still drawing blank' Mon, 21 Apr 2014 04:21:49 GMT
- A robotic submarine scanning for signs of missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is two-thirds through its ocean scan but has yet to find any trace.
- Japan warns over China ship seizure Mon, 21 Apr 2014 10:04:05 GMT
- China's seizure of a Japanese cargo ship over a pre-war debt could hit business ties, Japan's top government spokesman warns.
- PM's Christianity remarks 'divisive' Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:41:03 GMT
- Leading public figures claim PM David Cameron risks causing division in society with his recent comments that the UK is a Christian country.
- Everest Sherpas demand better terms Mon, 21 Apr 2014 09:30:38 GMT
- Sherpa guides in Nepal demand more compensation for the families of 13 of their colleagues killed in an avalanche on Mount Everest.
- Myanmar democracy elder Win Tin dies Mon, 21 Apr 2014 09:50:23 GMT
- Win Tin, the journalist who helped found Myanmar's pro-democracy movement and served 19 years in prison for his activism, dies at the age of 85.
- Three killed in Yemen drone strike Mon, 21 Apr 2014 09:57:58 GMT
- Three more suspected al-Qaeda militants die in a drone strike in southern Yemen, reports say, bringing the total killed in three days to more than 40.
- MP killed by car bomb in Somalia Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:49:04 GMT
- A car bomb kills an MP and injures another in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, as the government hosts a security conference.
- Mourners gather for Peaches' funeral Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:27:50 GMT
- Sir Bob Geldof is to pay tribute to his daughter Peaches at her funeral in Kent, which is being attended by mourners including Sarah Ferguson and Bill Wyman.
- VIDEO: Russian 'outrage' at Sloviansk attack Mon, 21 Apr 2014 09:07:43 GMT
- Ukraine has said it will launch an investigation into a fatal attack in the east of the country, which has further increased tensions between Kiev and Moscow.
- VIDEO: Bride kidnapping in Kyrgyzstan Sun, 20 Apr 2014 23:09:36 GMT
- State authorities in Kyrgyzstan are trying to fight practices of bride kidnapping in the country. Two victims of bride kidnapping spoke to the BBC.
- VIDEO: Boston runners recall marathon attack Sun, 20 Apr 2014 23:00:46 GMT
- Doctor Natalie Stavas finished last year's Boston Marathon just as the bombs exploded, and now the runner turned first responder prepares to run again.