"There is divine beauty in learning, just as there is human beauty in tolerance. To learn means to accept the postulate that life did not begin at my birth. Others have been here before me, and I walk in their footsteps. The books I have read were composed by generations of fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, teachers and disciples. I am the sum total of their experiences, their quests. And so are you."
—Elie(zer) Wiesel (b. 1928) Romanian-born writer, lecturer, survivor Nazi camps, Nobel
- Double attack on key Yemen ministry Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:20:33 GMT
- A suicide car bomb followed by a gunbattle at Yemen's defence ministry have left at least 29 people dead and more than 70 injured, officials say.
- Pope sets up child abuse committee Thu, 05 Dec 2013 14:53:50 GMT
- Pope Francis is to set up a Vatican committee to fight sexual abuse of children in the Catholic Church and offer help to victims.
- NSA 'tracking' millions of mobiles Thu, 05 Dec 2013 11:34:13 GMT
- The movements of hundreds of millions of mobile users are being tracked by the NSA every day, reveals the Washington Post.
- 'US teacher shot dead' in Libya Thu, 05 Dec 2013 14:23:34 GMT
- A teacher, believed to be an American national, is shot dead in Libya's eastern city of Benghazi, local officials say.
- Change EU free movement rules - UK Thu, 05 Dec 2013 10:41:50 GMT
- Britain wants to change the rules governing the free movement of people across the EU, Home Secretary Theresa May will tell European ministers.
- 'Loyalists' attack CAR capital Thu, 05 Dec 2013 13:18:01 GMT
- Forces loyal to the ousted Central African Republic president are said to have attacked the capital hours before the UN votes on sending peacekeepers.
- Thailand king urges mutual support Thu, 05 Dec 2013 07:35:19 GMT
- Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej urges people to support each other for the country, in a birthday address amid anti-government protests.
- Rob Ford 'tried to buy crack video' Thu, 05 Dec 2013 10:34:38 GMT
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is alleged to have offered to buy a video which showed him apparently smoking crack cocaine, police documents reveal.
- India 'man-eating' tiger captured Thu, 05 Dec 2013 09:20:45 GMT
- A tiger that is believed to have killed three villagers in the past week in the southern Indian state of Karnataka is finally caught, a senior official says.
- Biden in 'direct' China zone talks Thu, 05 Dec 2013 09:48:16 GMT
- The US and China had "very direct" talks about China's new air defence identification zone, says US Vice-President Joe Biden.
- Nigella 'not proud of drug use' Thu, 05 Dec 2013 14:04:22 GMT
- TV cook Nigella Lawson tells a court she is "not proud" of having used drugs, on the second day of her evidence at the trial of her personal assistants.
- Argentine police secure pay rise Thu, 05 Dec 2013 10:45:02 GMT
- Police officers in the Argentine province of Cordoba get a pay increase after residents take advantage of officers being on strike to loot shops.
- Ukraine protests blamed on cold weather Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:41:22 GMT
- Russian TV commentator suggests wintry conditions have sparked the pro-European Union street protests in Kiev.
- AUDIO: 'Jumbled up' tongue twister most difficult Thu, 05 Dec 2013 08:51:03 GMT
- Dr Shattuck-Hufnagel, an American psychologist, discusses what makes tongue twisters so difficult.
- VIDEO: Elba on portraying a living legend Wed, 04 Dec 2013 19:02:52 GMT
- Actor Idris Elba talks to Will Gompertz about playing Nelson Mandela in the film Long Walk To Freedom