"It is books that are a key to the wide world; if you can't do anything else, read all that you can."
- Russia 'destabilising' Ukraine - US Fri, 25 Apr 2014 01:34:20 GMT
- The US accuses Russia of "deception and destabilisation" in eastern Ukraine, warning of further sanctions unless Moscow defuses the crisis.
- Netanyahu: Abbas must end Hamas pact Thu, 24 Apr 2014 19:58:18 GMT
- Israeli PM Netanyahu tells the BBC Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas must abandon his pact with Hamas if he wants peace talks to resume.
- Iranians see petrol prices surge Fri, 25 Apr 2014 03:53:55 GMT
- Iran cuts state subsidies on petrol sending prices up to 75%, as the government tries to boost an economy battered by sanctions.
- Obama in S Korea amid nuclear fears Fri, 25 Apr 2014 03:41:10 GMT
- US President Barack Obama arrives in Seoul for a visit that comes amid concern North Korea may be planning a fourth nuclear test.
- Tech giants settle hiring court case Fri, 25 Apr 2014 01:38:19 GMT
- Apple, Google, Intel and Adobe settle a US case alleging they conspired to hold down salaries.
- New clashes in Rio over dancer death Fri, 25 Apr 2014 01:53:41 GMT
- Brazilian police clash with resident of a slum in Rio, after the funeral of dancer who was shot by officers during unrest there on Tuesday.
- Bolivia dismisses protesting troops Fri, 25 Apr 2014 02:47:29 GMT
- Bolivia's military chiefs have ordered the dismissal of more than 700 troops who have been protesting to demand better working conditions.
- Mexico and Guatemala rescue migrants Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:40:42 GMT
- Mexico and Guatemala say they have rescued dozens of people from captivity and arrested 14 of their alleged human traffickers.
- Plane stowaway 'going to Somalia' Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:38:00 GMT
- The father of a US teenager who stowed away in a wheel well on a flight to Hawaii has said his son was unhappy at school and trying to return to Somalia.
- John Paul II crucifix crushes man Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:51:35 GMT
- A 21-year old man has been crushed to death by a crucifix erected in honour of Pope John Paul II in northern Italy.
- Mystery of dazzling supernova solved Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:21:42 GMT
- An exceptionally bright supernova that baffled scientists has been explained - its light is amplified by another galaxy acting as a "lens".
- VIDEO: Teacher tells of Boko Haram attack Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:38:35 GMT
- A Koranic teacher, who has fled to Niger, tells the BBC about a Boko Haram attack on his village last year.
- VIDEO: William and Kate - tour highlights Thu, 24 Apr 2014 23:03:56 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have spent the last two weeks touring Australia and New Zealand, but their tour is due to come to an end on Friday.
- VIDEO: How Iranian woman defy hijab rule Thu, 24 Apr 2014 23:12:41 GMT
- Nearly 35 years after Iran's Islamic government made it compulsory for women in the country to wear the hijab, many have taken to wearing headscarves made from western-style, fashionable fabrics which are not approved by the government.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 25 Apr 2014 04:41:01 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.