"To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations--such is a pleasure beyond compare."
- Vietnam probes 'missing jet debris' Sun, 09 Mar 2014 17:15:48 GMT
- Vietnamese planes spot possible debris from the missing Malaysia Airlines jet - nearly two days after it disappeared with 239 people on board.
- Ukraine gripped by rival rallies Sun, 09 Mar 2014 16:37:50 GMT
- Tens of thousands of people across Ukraine hold rival pro-unity and pro-Russian rallies, as Moscow continues to strengthen its grip on Crimea.
- Iran sees nuclear deal 'in months' Sun, 09 Mar 2014 12:33:20 GMT
- Iran's foreign minister tells the visiting EU foreign policy chief a nuclear deal could come in months but Catherine Ashton stresses there is no guarantee.
- Afghanistan's vice-president dies Sun, 09 Mar 2014 09:58:18 GMT
- One of Afghanistan's two vice-presidents, Marshal Mohammad Qasim Fahim, has died of natural causes, a government spokesman says.
- North Koreans vote in elections Sun, 09 Mar 2014 09:20:51 GMT
- North Koreans are electing new members of the country's rubber-stamp parliament, with only one candidate standing in each district.
- Spain opera director Mortier dies Sun, 09 Mar 2014 12:03:36 GMT
- Gerard Mortier, who spearheaded an operatic production of Brokeback Mountain at Madrid's Teatro Royal, dies aged 70.
- Murray stays quiet on independence Sun, 09 Mar 2014 13:42:45 GMT
- Tennis ace Andy Murray vows not to reveal his feelings on Scottish independence after abuse over a joke about England in the World Cup.
- VIDEO: Spanish protest over abortion bill Sun, 09 Mar 2014 05:37:47 GMT
- Thousands of people took to the streets of Madrid on Saturday to protest against an abortion reform bill that would allow terminations only in cases of rape or if the mother's health is at risk.
- VIDEO: Baby hippo born at Mexico City zoo Sat, 08 Mar 2014 19:25:48 GMT
- A baby hippo has been born at Mexico City's Chapultepec Zoo - the first in 16 years.
- VIDEO: Iran nuclear deal 'within months' Sun, 09 Mar 2014 13:07:23 GMT
- The Iranian foreign minister has told the visiting EU foreign policy chief, Catherine Ashton, that a nuclear deal could come in the next four months.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sun, 09 Mar 2014 07:05:19 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: On board a $300m superyacht Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:16:12 GMT
- Nima Abu Wardeh takes a tour of the most expensive superyacht currently on the market.
- VIDEO: 'Electronic lollipop' simulates taste Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:09:20 GMT
- Scientists at City University, London have developed a machine that they say is able to simulate taste.
- VIDEO: Rubbish piles up on Rio streets Fri, 07 Mar 2014 22:14:20 GMT
- Rio Carnival officially ended on Wednesday but piles of rubbish left on the city's streets are still waiting be collected.
- VIDEO: Tension in Caracas as clashes continue Sat, 08 Mar 2014 09:10:41 GMT
- Clashes have broken out again on the streets of the Venezuelan capital, Caracas.