"To limit the press is to insult a nation; to prohibit reading of certain books is to declare the inhabitants to be either fools or slaves."
—Claude Adrien Helvetius (1715-71) French philosopher, encyclopedias
- S Korea ferry captain arrest sought Fri, 18 Apr 2014 11:13:15 GMT
- Prosecutors in South Korea ask for an arrest warrant for the captain of the ferry that capsized on Wednesday killing 28, with 268 missing.
- East Ukraine militants snub deal Fri, 18 Apr 2014 08:50:12 GMT
- Pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine refuse to leave official buildings, just hours after an international deal was reached to defuse the crisis.
- Everest avalanche kills 12 guides Fri, 18 Apr 2014 09:08:34 GMT
- At least 12 local guides have been killed after an avalanche on the slopes of Mount Everest, officials in Nepal say.
- US freeing Iran funds as deal 'kept' Fri, 18 Apr 2014 09:30:38 GMT
- The United States is to release frozen Iranian funds, saying Tehran has kept commitments made under an interim deal over its nuclear programme.
- Tributes for Gabriel Garcia Marquez Fri, 18 Apr 2014 08:43:56 GMT
- Presidents and fellow writers pay tribute to Nobel prize-winning Colombian author Gabriel Garcia Marquez ,who has died in Mexico aged 87.
- One fifth of China soil contaminated Fri, 18 Apr 2014 10:06:26 GMT
- Almost a fifth of China's soil is contaminated, an official study released by the government has shown.
- Pakistan library named 'Bin Laden' Fri, 18 Apr 2014 10:37:12 GMT
- An Islamic seminary for women in Pakistan's capital renames its library after Osama Bin Laden, the slain al-Qaeda leader.
- ICC calls Kenya Ruto trial witnesses Fri, 18 Apr 2014 10:22:12 GMT
- The International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague summons reluctant witnesses to testify at the trial of Kenya's Vice-President William Ruto.
- Rob Ford launches re-election bid Fri, 18 Apr 2014 01:06:39 GMT
- Embattled Toronto Mayor Rob Ford kicks off his re-election campaign at an event his brother calls "history in the making".
- China jails corruption activists Fri, 18 Apr 2014 05:10:45 GMT
- China jails four more activists linked to the Xu Zhiyong-founded New Citizens' Movement, which seeks government transparency.
- Royals visit Sydney Easter show Fri, 18 Apr 2014 06:53:40 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit Sydney Royal Easter Show on their third day in Australia.
- 'Most Earth-like planet yet' found Thu, 17 Apr 2014 18:04:42 GMT
- A planet that is close in size to the Earth and that could hold water on its surface has been identified by the Kepler telescope.
- VIDEO: Anxious time for Syria's Christians Fri, 18 Apr 2014 05:23:39 GMT
- Around the world Christians are marking Holy Week in the run up to Easter, but for Syria's Christians, it is also an anxious time as the country's war drags on into a fourth year.
- VIDEO: Marquez tributes in Latin America Fri, 18 Apr 2014 08:25:20 GMT
- The BBC's Will Grant reports from Mexico where readers celebrate the work of author Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who lived in the country for 40 years.
- VIDEO: Babylab studies development of ADHD Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:22:51 GMT
- Scientists at a London laboratory carry out tests to try to discover how and why some people develop Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).