"It seems to me the book has not just aesthetic values-- the charming little clothy box of the thing, the smell of the glue, even the print, which has its own beauty. But there's something about the sensation of ink on paper that is in some sense a thing, a phenomenon rather than an epiphenomenon. I can't break the association of electric trash with the computer screen. Words on the screen give the sense of being just another passing electronic wriggle."
—John Hoyer Updike (b. 1932) American writer, Rabbit, Run, Rabbit at Rest
- G7 warns Russia on 'annexing' Crimea Wed, 12 Mar 2014 16:50:37 GMT
- The G7 group of industrial nations calls on Russia to stop moves to "annex" Crimea, as Ukraine warns of a Russian military build-up at the border.
- Two die as blast levels NY buildings Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:29:25 GMT
- Two women die and 20 others are injured as a gas leak sparks an explosion which levels two buildings in East Harlem, New York City.
- Missing plane: Last message revealed Wed, 12 Mar 2014 13:40:17 GMT
- Malaysia says the last message from a Malaysia Airlines plane suggests everything was normal on board before it vanished over the South China Sea.
- Rocket barrage from Gaza hits Israel Wed, 12 Mar 2014 17:53:26 GMT
- Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip have fired more than 30 rockets at southern Israel, officials say, the heaviest barrage since November 2012.
- Pistorius smashed door 'on stumps' Wed, 12 Mar 2014 17:43:29 GMT
- Oscar Pistorius was not wearing prosthetic legs when he broke down a door to reach his girlfriend, his murder trial hears from a forensic expert.
- Clashes after Turkish boy's funeral Wed, 12 Mar 2014 17:30:29 GMT
- Turkish police fire tear gas and water cannon at protesters in Istanbul after the funeral of a teenager wounded in anti-government clashes last year.
- Swiss probe Uzbek leader's daughter Wed, 12 Mar 2014 13:32:40 GMT
- Prosecutors in Switzerland open a money laundering investigation into Gulnara Karimova, the daughter of the president of Uzbekistan.
- 'Encouraging signs' for Schumacher Wed, 12 Mar 2014 08:12:47 GMT
- The family of former F1 racer Michael Schumacher says he is showing "small, encouraging signs" in his fight for recovery after a skiing accident.
- Israel ends army draft exemptions Wed, 12 Mar 2014 13:51:05 GMT
- Israel's parliament approves legislation that will end exemptions from military conscription for ultra-Orthodox Jewish seminary students.
- Mexico vigilante boss Mora detained Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:53:30 GMT
- Mexican vigilante leader Hipolito Mora is detained as a suspect in the killing of two fellow vigilantes in Michoacan
- PM's belief in Israel 'unbreakable' Wed, 12 Mar 2014 17:49:26 GMT
- David Cameron says his belief in Israel is "unbreakable" as he urges the country's MPs to pursue a deal with Palestinians to end all conflict.
- Sri Lankan hangman resigns in shock Wed, 12 Mar 2014 12:16:17 GMT
- A newly recruited hangman in Sri Lanka resigns in shock after being shown the gallows for the first time.
- VIDEO: 'I've lost 30 years of my life' Wed, 12 Mar 2014 07:35:16 GMT
- A man freed after more than 25 years on death row in the US state of Louisiana has been speaking about his release.
- VIDEO: Man's face rebuilt with 3D printing Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:02:15 GMT
- A survivor of a serious motorbike accident has pioneering surgery to reconstruct his face using a series of 3D printed parts.
- VIDEO: Turkey clashes after boy's funeral Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:27:40 GMT
- Turkish police have fired water cannon and tear gas in Istanbul during a protest triggered by the funeral of a teenage boy wounded in anti-government clashes last year.