24/7 Reference help
Text 970-497-2131 and enter TOV as the first three characters of the text, then type your question.
or chat below
"History is a living horse laughing at a wooden horse. History is a wind blowing where it listeth. History is no sure thing to bet on. History is a box of tricks with a lost key. History is a labyrinth of doors with sliding panels, a book of ciphers with the code in a cave of the Saragossa sea. History says, if it pleases, Excuse me, I beg your pardon, it will never happen again if I can help it."
—Carl Sandburg (1878-1967) American writer known for free verse, Smoke and Steel
- Scotland votes 'No' to independence Fri, 19 Sep 2014 13:29:13 GMT
- Scotland votes to stay in the United Kingdom and First Minister Alex Salmond accepts defeat but calls for a pledge of more devolved powers to be honoured.
- French launch first strikes on IS Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:01:00 GMT
- President Hollande says France has carried out its first air strikes against IS militants in Iraq, joining the US in military action against the group.
- Google, Apple to encrypt by default Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:55:04 GMT
- Google and Apple commit to encrypting users' data by default, to protect against hackers and the requests of law enforcement agencies.
- GSK fined $490m by China for bribery Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:28:01 GMT
- China fines UK pharmaceuticals firm GlaxoSmithKline $490m for bribery and gives a suspended jail sentence to its China head.
- Sierra Leone begins Ebola lockdown Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:39:58 GMT
- A three-day curfew begins in Sierra Leone to enable health workers to find and isolate cases of Ebola, but critics warn it will achieve little.
- Catalan leader praises Scotland vote Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:29:11 GMT
- Catalonia's President Artur Mas says Scotland's independence referendum has "shown the way" for Catalonia, which will continue its bid to split from Spain.
- Pro-gay mosque opens in Cape Town Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:36:41 GMT
- A Muslim academic opens a gay-friendly mosque in South Africa, despite receiving death threats and criticism from parts of the Muslim community.
- Iran Happy dancers ordered lashed Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:14:36 GMT
- Six Iranians arrested for filming a video tribute to Pharrell Williams' song Happy are sentenced to 91 lashes and jail terms, their lawyer says.
- Eight dead in Florida house shooting Fri, 19 Sep 2014 05:36:07 GMT
- A grandfather shot dead his daughter and her six children before taking his own life at a home in Bell, Florida, police say.
- Australia boosts parliament security Fri, 19 Sep 2014 03:44:28 GMT
- Security is being upgraded at the Australian parliament following "chatter" suggesting extremists could target it for attack, the PM says.
- Japan to restart whaling programme Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:22:10 GMT
- Japan vows to restart its Antarctic whaling programme next year despite an International Whaling Commission vote that the hunt is illegal.
- Clashes in Yemen capital Sanaa Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:18:40 GMT
- Fighting between Shia rebels and Sunni militias in Yemen escalates, with clashes on the outskirts of the capital, prompting airlines to suspend flights.
- VIDEO: Fancy a look inside Downing Street? Thu, 18 Sep 2014 10:51:56 GMT
- Some Westminster landmarks normally closed to the public, including Downing Street, will be open this weekend.
- VIDEO: California 'King fire' doubles in size Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:31:41 GMT
- Thousands of people have been forced to leave their homes in northern California after a wildfire burning out of control doubled in size in just 12 hours.
- VIDEO: US jet in emergency landing Fri, 19 Sep 2014 13:12:04 GMT
- A JetBlue airlines A-320 flying over California has been forced to make an emergency landing when an engine problem caused smoke to enter the aircraft's cabin.