"Every burned book or house enlightens the world; every suppressed or expunged word reverberates through the earth from side to side."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Russia MPs welcome Crimea referendum Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:48:56 GMT
- The heads of Russia's two houses of parliament say they will support Crimea if the region votes to leave Ukraine in a referendum on 16 March.
- Pistorius 'fired gun in anger' - ex Fri, 07 Mar 2014 14:53:57 GMT
- An ex-girlfriend tells the Oscar Pistorius trial that he fired a gun from a car, as a security guard tells of the shock of finding him with a dying Reeva Steenkamp.
- Winter Paralympics open in Sochi Fri, 07 Mar 2014 19:46:36 GMT
- The 2014 Winter Paralympics are opened by Russian president Vladimir Putin in a spectacular opening ceremony in Sochi.
- Sarkozy phone 'tapped by judges' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 15:59:19 GMT
- Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy has had his phone tapped on the orders of judges investigating alleged campaign donations from Libya, it is claimed.
- Brotherhood 'terrorists', say Saudis Fri, 07 Mar 2014 19:03:45 GMT
- Saudi Arabia designates the Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist organisation, along with two jihadist groups fighting with the Syrian rebels.
- Anwar gets jail term for sodomy Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:35:57 GMT
- A Malaysian court sentences opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim to five years in jail after overturning his acquittal on sodomy charges.
- ICC convicts Congo militia leader Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:54:06 GMT
- The International Criminal Court finds Congo militia leader Germain Katanga guilty of complicity in war crimes but acquits him of sexual offences.
- Facebook's WhatsApp purchase opposed Fri, 07 Mar 2014 14:48:36 GMT
- Facebook's purchase of WhatsApp - one of the biggest ever tech acquisitions - runs into trouble over privacy concerns.
- Birmingham City owner Yeung jailed Fri, 07 Mar 2014 15:08:40 GMT
- Birmingham City owner Carson Yeung is jailed for six years by a Hong Kong court for money laundering.
- Officer dies in India navy accident Fri, 07 Mar 2014 13:24:18 GMT
- An Indian navy officer is killed and a number of people are injured in an accident on a ship at a Mumbai dockyard, officials say.
- Turkey PM warns social media sites Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:21:53 GMT
- Turkey's Prime Minister Erdogan says his government could ban Facebook and YouTube, amid leaks suggesting government corruption.
- Canada condom piercer verdict upheld Fri, 07 Mar 2014 17:39:01 GMT
- The Canadian Supreme Court upholds the sexual assault conviction of a man who poked holes in the condoms he wore during sex with his girlfriend.
- VIDEO: 'I have nothing to do with Bitcoin' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:27:07 GMT
- Controversy is surrounding claims by Newsweek to have found the creator of the Bitcoin virtual currency.
- VIDEO: Composer admits lying about deafness Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:02:07 GMT
- Mamoru Samuragochi, one of Japan's most famous composers, officially apologises for pretending to be deaf. He was exposed last month by a music teacher, who also claimed that he wrote all of his music for him in secret for 18 years.
- VIDEO: 'Marry me!' Harry heckled at Wembley Fri, 07 Mar 2014 16:38:11 GMT
- Prince Harry has taken to the stage at Wembley Arena to address 12,000 young people taking part in the first We Day UK.