"Learning is acquired by reading books; but the much more necessary learning, the knowledge of the world, is only to be acquired by reading man, and studying all the various editions of them."
—Philip Dormer Stanhope Chesterfield (1694-1773) [4th Earl of Chesterfield] English politician, writer
- Ferry disaster captain 'arrested' Fri, 18 Apr 2014 21:12:10 GMT
- The captain of a South Korean ferry that sank this week leaving hundreds of people missing has been arrested, Yonhap news agency says.
- US raises Ukraine pressure on Russia Fri, 18 Apr 2014 22:15:27 GMT
- The US threatens tougher economic sanctions if Russia fails to abide by a new international deal to help de-escalate the crisis in Ukraine.
- Pope leads Good Friday services Fri, 18 Apr 2014 22:55:54 GMT
- Pope Francis highlights the plight of the poor, elderly and abandoned during the Way of the Cross procession in Rome to mark Good Friday.
- Obama signs UN envoy visa ban law Fri, 18 Apr 2014 20:19:22 GMT
- President Barack Obama signs into law a measure that would bar entry to any UN ambassador whom the US says has engaged in "terrorist activity".
- Algeria's president gets fourth term Fri, 18 Apr 2014 16:54:31 GMT
- Algeria's President Abdelaziz Bouteflika, who suffered a stroke last year, wins a fourth term in office taking more than 81% of the vote.
- Mexico shaken by powerful earthquake Fri, 18 Apr 2014 18:57:44 GMT
- A 7.2-magnitude earthquake hits states in south and west Mexico, shaking buildings in the capital, but there are no reports of casualties or damage.
- Everest avalanche kills 12 guides Fri, 18 Apr 2014 09:08:34 GMT
- At least 12 local guides have been killed after an avalanche on the slopes of Mount Everest, officials in Nepal say.
- One fifth of China soil contaminated Fri, 18 Apr 2014 10:06:26 GMT
- Almost a fifth of China's soil is contaminated, an official study released by the government has shown.
- Tributes for Gabriel Garcia Marquez Fri, 18 Apr 2014 14:16:11 GMT
- Presidents and fellow writers pay tribute to Nobel prize-winning Colombian author Gabriel Garcia Marquez ,who has died in Mexico aged 87.
- Gul rules out Erdogan job swap Fri, 18 Apr 2014 15:55:39 GMT
- President Abdullah Gul of Turkey appears to rule out a Russian-style job swap with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan when his term ends later this year.
- Nigeria schoolgirls 'still missing' Fri, 18 Apr 2014 20:53:11 GMT
- Nigeria's military rows back on an earlier statement that most of the teenage girls abducted by suspected Islamist militants had been freed.
- Pakistan library named 'Bin Laden' Fri, 18 Apr 2014 10:37:12 GMT
- An Islamic seminary for women in Pakistan's capital renames its library after Osama Bin Laden, the slain al-Qaeda leader.
- VIDEO: Kate meets Manly Beach life-savers Fri, 18 Apr 2014 18:11:00 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have made an appearance at Sydney's Royal Easter Show, during their tour of Australia.
- VIDEO: Pakistan library named 'Bin Laden' Fri, 18 Apr 2014 22:11:54 GMT
- An Islamic seminary for women in Pakistan's capital Islamabad has renamed its library after the former al-Qaeda chief Osama Bin Laden.
- VIDEO: Camel birth shocks sheep farmer Fri, 18 Apr 2014 15:43:43 GMT
- A farmer who was hoping for some rest after a busy lambing season has been surprised by his latest newborn - a camel.