"Associate with the noblest people you can find; read the best books; live with the mighty. But learn to be happy alone. Rely upon your own energies, and so do not wait for, or depend on other people."
—Thomas Davidson Professor
- Novice 'steered South Korea ferry' Sat, 19 Apr 2014 23:48:00 GMT
- The South Korean ferry that sank on Wednesday was steered by a ship's mate unfamiliar with the waters where the accident occurred, officials say.
- Easter messages show Ukraine divide Sun, 20 Apr 2014 01:44:02 GMT
- Orthodox Easter messages from patriarchs in Kiev and Moscow reflect Ukraine's deep divide, as a tense stand-off continues in the east.
- UN envoy and Israel in Easter row Sun, 20 Apr 2014 00:08:38 GMT
- The UN envoy to the Middle East accuses Israel of blocking his way to an Easter ceremony in Jerusalem, as Israel questions his judgement.
- Syria-held French journalists freed Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:42:33 GMT
- Four French journalists held captive in Syria for months have been freed and are in "good health", says President Francois Hollande.
- Easter deaths spark Brazil protests Sun, 20 Apr 2014 00:43:20 GMT
- Residents of a poor community near Rio de Janeiro torch vehicles in protest at the deaths of two young men in incidents involving the police.
- Japan to base troops near Senkakus Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:29:15 GMT
- Japan begins building a military radar station near the Senkaku islands, focus of a bitter territorial row with China, which calls them the Diaoyus.
- Iran condemns US skyscraper seizure Sat, 19 Apr 2014 22:05:03 GMT
- Iran condemns a decision by the US to seize a Manhattan high-rise belonging to a charitable foundation and sell proceeds to victims of attacks by Iran-backed militants.
- Pakistan TV anchor shot in attack Sat, 19 Apr 2014 15:32:17 GMT
- Hamid Mir, one of Pakistan's best known television presenters, is injured in an attack by unidentified gunmen in the southern city of Karachi.
- Nigeria teacher in seized girls plea Sat, 19 Apr 2014 18:26:13 GMT
- The headmistress of a school in Nigeria calls on the government to do more to save teenage girls abducted by suspected Islamist militants.
- 'Dozens die' in S Sudan cattle raid Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:37:15 GMT
- Dozens of people are killed in a cattle raid in a remote herders' camp in South Sudan's northern Warrap state, local officials say.
- Plane search at 'critical juncture' Sat, 19 Apr 2014 07:37:18 GMT
- The search area for the missing Malaysian plane has narrowed and will be at "a critical juncture" in the next two days, says the transport minister.
- Colombia to honour Garcia Marquez Sat, 19 Apr 2014 20:41:56 GMT
- Colombia announces its own ceremony to honour author Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who was cremated in Mexico, where he lived for more than 30 years.
- VIDEO: Prominent Pakistan journalist shot Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:36:54 GMT
- Hamid Mir, one of Pakistan's most prominent television personalities, has been shot and wounded in the city of Karachi.
- VIDEO: 'Luckily we couldn't see the lions' Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:30:17 GMT
- A driver has been talking about the moment her car caught fire - while in the middle of the lion enclosure at Longleat Safari Park.
- VIDEO: Kate tries out fighter jet in Australia Sat, 19 Apr 2014 06:47:28 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit an air base in Queensland on day four of their tour of Australia.