"There is a difference between a book of two hundred pages from the very beginning, and a book of two hundred pages which is the result of an original eight hundred pages. The six hundred are there. Only you don't see them."
—Elie(zer) Wiesel (b. 1928) Romanian-born writer, lecturer, survivor Nazi camps, Nobel
- Many missing as S Korea ferry sinks Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:31:40 GMT
- Almost 300 people remain unaccounted for after a ferry carrying 459 people capsized and sank off South Korea, officials say.
- Ukraine military column 'disarmed' Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:18:39 GMT
- Ukraine's defence ministry says six of its armoured vehicles have been seized by pro-Russian militants, amid mounting tension in eastern Ukraine.
- Reeva Steenkamp shot in 'rapid fire' Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:06:27 GMT
- The girlfriend of South African athlete Oscar Pistorius was shot in quick succession, a forensics expert says, contradicting police ballistics testimony.
- Pakistan Taliban end ceasefire Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:02:44 GMT
- The Pakistani Taliban say they will not extend a ceasefire with the government announced last month, but will remain committed to peace talks.
- Head of oldest African park shot Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:39:39 GMT
- The Belgian director of Africa's oldest national park - Virunga in the Democratic Republic of Congo - is shot and wounded in an ambush.
- 'Last' Chadian soldier leaves CAR Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:12:21 GMT
- Chad has withdrawn all its peacekeepers from the Central African Republic, an official confirms, after accusations they sided with Muslim rebels.
- Wage rises catch up with inflation Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:35:12 GMT
- After nearly six years of falling real wages, rises in weekly earnings have finally caught up with inflation, according to the Office for National Statistics.
- Search after Nigeria school kidnap Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:04:00 GMT
- The Nigerian military joins the search for at least 100 teenage girls abducted from a school in the remote northeast.
- MtGox exchange put in administration Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:38:08 GMT
- The Bitcoin exchange MtGox has been placed in administration by a Japanese court and it is expected that bankruptcy proceedings will be started.
- Saudi intelligence chief removed Wed, 16 Apr 2014 09:12:17 GMT
- Saudi Arabia's intelligence chief, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, has been removed from his post "at his own request", state media report.
- Jordan 'targets vehicles from Syria' Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:49:56 GMT
- Jordanian warplanes have targeted and destroyed several vehicles trying to cross the border from Syria, the Jordanian military says.
- Mid-East peace talks meeting delayed Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:11:21 GMT
- A meeting between Palestinian and Israeli peace negotiators has been postponed in the wake of a killing of an Israeli in the West Bank.
- EU approves alien species blacklist Wed, 16 Apr 2014 15:47:39 GMT
- The European Parliament has approved new legislation to stem the spread of invasive species such as "killer" shrimp or Japanese knotweed.
- VIDEO: Pro-Russians surround Ukrainian convoy Wed, 16 Apr 2014 09:30:32 GMT
- A Ukrainian military convoy including armoured vehicles has been surrounded by pro-Russia protesters and armed forces in Kramatorsk - a "very unusual situation" according to the BBC's James Reynolds.
- VIDEO: Dig seeks identity of dead boys Wed, 16 Apr 2014 00:22:22 GMT
- A University of South Florida anthropologist seeks to return remains of boys who died at a state reform school to their relatives.