"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."
- SA to hold daily Mandela cortege Sat, 07 Dec 2013 14:38:12 GMT
- A cortege bearing Nelson Mandela's body will travel through Pretoria for three days ahead of his burial next Sunday, the government says.
- WTO agrees global trade agreement Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:04:15 GMT
- The World Trade Organization agrees a historic global deal aimed at boosting commerce, which could add nearly $1tn to the global economy.
- Court frees pro-Morsi protest women Sat, 07 Dec 2013 14:26:07 GMT
- An Egyptian appeal court orders the release of 21 women, including seven minors, who were jailed over a protest in support of ousted President Morsi.
- UK airports hit by flight delays Sat, 07 Dec 2013 13:47:42 GMT
- Air traffic control operators say they do not know how long it will take to resolve faults which are causing flight delays and cancellations across the UK and Ireland.
- French reinforcements fan out in CAR Sat, 07 Dec 2013 15:51:35 GMT
- A reinforced French force in the Central African Republic expands operations in the capital and beyond, to try to end deadly sectarian fighting.
- US citizen released by North Korea Sat, 07 Dec 2013 11:33:36 GMT
- US citizen Merrill Newman is flying back home after being deported from North Korea following more than a month in detention there.
- Syria jihadists 'use Turkey bases' Sat, 07 Dec 2013 13:41:36 GMT
- Foreign jihadist fighters, including Britons, are using safe houses in southern Turkey to go to Syria to fight against government forces, the BBC has learnt.
- N Korea 'edits out dismissed uncle' Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:45:19 GMT
- North Korean TV reportedly removes footage of a powerful uncle of leader Kim Jong-un from a documentary, following reports of his dismissal.
- Arrests over death of India activist Sat, 07 Dec 2013 10:51:02 GMT
- Two men are arrested in western India over the killing in August of Narendra Dabholkar, who campaigned against "fraudulent practices" by gurus.
- Russia-Ukraine 'closer on gas price' Sat, 07 Dec 2013 11:28:56 GMT
- Russia says differences with Ukraine on reducing the price of Russian gas have been narrowed after talks in the Black Sea resort of Sochi.
- US power 'underpins Iran diplomacy' Sat, 07 Dec 2013 07:58:03 GMT
- Diplomacy with Iran over its nuclear programme must be backed by military power, US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel tells Gulf leaders.
- Dylan's guitar sells for $965k Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:42:14 GMT
- The electric guitar played by Bob Dylan at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival sells at auction in New York for a record $965,000 (£591,000).
- Elton John 'sad' over Russia gay law Sat, 07 Dec 2013 00:36:14 GMT
- British singer Elton John urges Russia to end discrimination against gays and lesbians as he performs at a concert in Moscow.
- VIDEO: Typhoon Haiyan: The key moments Sat, 07 Dec 2013 01:26:48 GMT
- One month since Typhoon Haiyan slammed into the Philippines, we look back at the key moments from the areas hit by the storm.
- VIDEO: Syria jihadists 'use Turkey bases' Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:50:57 GMT
- The BBC's Richard Galpin reports on how foreign jihadist fighters are using safe houses in southern Turkey to cross into Syria to fight against government forces.