"It meant that New York philanthropists, New York society, would now rediscover the library. ... that learning, books, education have glamour, that self-improvement has glamour, that hope has glamour."
—Vartan Gregorian President, NY Public Library
- Russia 'destabilising' Ukraine - US Fri, 25 Apr 2014 01:34:20 GMT
- The US accuses Russia of "deception and destabilisation" in eastern Ukraine, warning of further sanctions unless Moscow defuses the crisis.
- Netanyahu: Abbas must end Hamas pact Thu, 24 Apr 2014 19:58:18 GMT
- Israeli PM Netanyahu tells the BBC Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas must abandon his pact with Hamas if he wants peace talks to resume.
- New clashes in Rio over dancer death Fri, 25 Apr 2014 01:53:41 GMT
- Brazilian police clash with resident of a slum in Rio, after the funeral of dancer who was shot by officers during unrest there on Tuesday.
- Bolivia dismisses protesting troops Fri, 25 Apr 2014 02:47:29 GMT
- Bolivia's military chiefs have ordered the dismissal of more than 700 troops who have been protesting to demand better working conditions.
- Tech giants settle hiring court case Fri, 25 Apr 2014 01:38:19 GMT
- Four of the biggest technology firms - Apple, Google, Intel and Adobe - settle a class action case alleging they conspired to hold down salaries.
- Mexico and Guatemala rescue migrants Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:40:42 GMT
- Mexico and Guatemala say they have rescued dozens of people from captivity and arrested 14 of their alleged human traffickers.
- Deadly air strike on Syria market Thu, 24 Apr 2014 17:06:14 GMT
- A Syrian government air strike on a market in a rebel-held town in Aleppo kills more than 20 people, activist groups say.
- Plane stowaway 'going to Somalia' Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:38:00 GMT
- The father of a US teenager who stowed away in a wheel well on a flight to Hawaii has said his son was unhappy at school and trying to return to Somalia.
- John Paul II crucifix crushes man Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:51:35 GMT
- A 21-year old man has been crushed to death by a crucifix erected in honour of Pope John Paul II in northern Italy.
- VIDEO: Teacher tells of Boko Haram attack Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:38:35 GMT
- A Koranic teacher, who has fled to Niger, tells the BBC about a Boko Haram attack on his village last year.
- VIDEO: William and Kate - tour highlights Thu, 24 Apr 2014 23:03:56 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have spent the last two weeks touring Australia and New Zealand, but their tour is due to come to an end on Friday.
- VIDEO: How Iranian woman defy hijab rule Thu, 24 Apr 2014 23:12:41 GMT
- Nearly 35 years after Iran's Islamic government made it compulsory for women in the country to wear the hijab, many have taken to wearing headscarves made from western-style, fashionable fabrics which are not approved by the government.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 25 Apr 2014 02:49:11 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Banksy street art on show in hotel Thu, 24 Apr 2014 19:30:01 GMT
- Street murals by graffiti artist Banksy - many of them cut off the sides of buildings - have been put on show at an exhibition in London before they are auctioned off.
- VIDEO: Our week with the Chinese army Thu, 24 Apr 2014 23:49:48 GMT
- The BBC follows two British soldiers as they take part in an exchange program with the Chinese army.