"The book is here to stay. What we're doing is symbolic of the peaceful coexistence of the book and the computer."
—Vartan Gregorian President, NY Public Library
- U-turn fails to end Brazil protests Thu, 20 Jun 2013 05:07:35 GMT
- Brazilian authorities promise to reverse public transport fare rises that sparked unrest, but nationwide protests continue unabated.
- Singapore smog hits hazardous levels Thu, 20 Jun 2013 07:33:39 GMT
- Singapore and Indonesia schedule an emergency meeting after haze in Singapore soars to hazardous levels, breaking all previous records.
- Sopranos actor James Gandolfini dies Thu, 20 Jun 2013 05:54:35 GMT
- James Gandolfini, the US actor best known for his role as a therapy-seeking mob boss in The Sopranos, dies at the age of 51.
- Afghans reject Taliban talks moves Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:02:17 GMT
- Afghan officials tell the BBC the removal of the flag and nameplate from the Taliban's Qatar office does not go far enough.
- Paid-for news 'gains favour online' Wed, 19 Jun 2013 23:13:23 GMT
- More people are becoming willing to buy online news, but social media may be eroding brand recognition, a study by Reuters suggests.
- China gives first lecture from space Thu, 20 Jun 2013 04:23:47 GMT
- China's second female astronaut, Wang Yaping, delivers the country's first-ever video lecture from the Tiangong-1 space laboratory.
- Serena sorry for quotes on US rape Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:38:14 GMT
- World tennis number one Serena Williams apologises after reportedly appearing to criticise the victim in a high-profile US rape case.
- Two held in US 'X-ray terror plot' Wed, 19 Jun 2013 23:52:42 GMT
- Two US men have appeared in court accused of plotting to build an X-ray weapon to kill enemies of Israel and the US with lethal rays of radiation.
- China factory activity slows further Thu, 20 Jun 2013 04:00:53 GMT
- China's manufacturing activity weakens further in June, falling to a nine-month low as demand falls, according to a preliminary survey by HSBC.
- Bad weather hits India flood rescue Thu, 20 Jun 2013 05:07:05 GMT
- Bad weather is hampering rescue operations in the flood-hit Indian state of Uttarakhand, where nearly 150 people have died.
- Eurotunnel accused of overcharging Thu, 20 Jun 2013 04:02:27 GMT
- Brussels says passengers going through the Channel Tunnel are paying over the odds, because Eurotunnel is overcharging the train companies for using the track.
- Microsoft U-turn in Xbox games row Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:43:21 GMT
- Microsoft backtracks on controversial plans to impose strict restrictions on the playing and trading of games on its upcoming Xbox One console.
- Early Mars atmosphere 'oxygen-rich' Wed, 19 Jun 2013 18:12:10 GMT
- Mars' atmosphere could have been rich in oxygen four billion years ago - well before Earth's air became augmented with the gas.
- Warning issued over webcam hackers Thu, 20 Jun 2013 03:58:12 GMT
- A charity is advising people to cover their webcams when they are not in use because hackers could be using them to spy on you.
- VIDEO: Could you make yourself happier? Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:22:24 GMT
- Depression has become the biggest cause of disability on the planet, according to the World Health Organisation, so what more could people do to improve their levels of happiness?