"Deliver me from writers who say the way they live doesn't matter. I'm not sure a bad person can write a good book, If art doesn't make us better, then what on earth is it for."
—Alice Walker (b. 1944) American writer, Meridian, The Color Purple
- Search continues for missing plane Sun, 09 Mar 2014 01:47:53 GMT
- Officials say there is still no sign of wreckage as the search continues for a Malaysia Airlines flight missing for more than 24 hours with 239 people on board.
- US warns Russia not to annex Crimea Sat, 08 Mar 2014 23:08:59 GMT
- The US warns Russia that any moves to annex Crimea would close the door to diplomacy, as Moscow tightens its grip on the peninsula.
- Italy up in arms over David advert Sat, 08 Mar 2014 20:14:09 GMT
- Italy's culture minister expresses outrage over an advertisement by a US weapons firm showing Michelangelo's David holding a rifle.
- Beirut rally against domestic abuse Sun, 09 Mar 2014 00:54:43 GMT
- Thousands of people have marched through the streets of the Lebanese capital, Beirut, to demand politicians pass a law against domestic violence.
- Libya threatens to bomb oil tanker Sat, 08 Mar 2014 19:39:35 GMT
- Libya's Prime Minister Ali Zeidan threatens to bomb a North Korean-flagged tanker if it tries to export oil from a rebel-controlled port.
- Thousands join Venezuela protest Sun, 09 Mar 2014 02:30:34 GMT
- Thousands of Venezuelan students and opposition supporters take part in an anti-government rally in the capital, Caracas, on Women's Day.
- EU's Ashton to begin key Iran talks Sun, 09 Mar 2014 01:57:00 GMT
- The EU's head of foreign policy, Catherine Ashton, is due to begin talks with Iranian leaders in Tehran, the first such visit since 2008.
- Ex-military chief's Afghanistan plea Sat, 08 Mar 2014 23:59:09 GMT
- Former head of the British armed forces Gen Lord Richards appeals for western powers not to give up on Afghanistan once troops withdraw.
- Saudis and Qatar 'destabilise Iraq' Sat, 08 Mar 2014 21:53:51 GMT
- Iraq's Prime Minister Nouri Maliki accuses Saudi Arabia and Qatar of seeking to destabilise his country by supporting insurgent groups.
- Ukraine beat Russia to biathlon gold Sat, 08 Mar 2014 12:41:28 GMT
- Vitaliy Lukyanenko wins Ukraine's first gold at the Sochi Winter Paralympics, in the men's 7.5km visually impaired biathlon.
- Fresh deal to end Rio rubbish strike Sun, 09 Mar 2014 00:42:40 GMT
- Rio de Janeiro officials and street cleaners say they have reached a deal to end a strike which has left litter piling up in the Brazilian city.
- VIDEO: Baby hippo born at Mexico City zoo Sat, 08 Mar 2014 19:25:48 GMT
- A baby hippo has been born at Mexico City's Chapultepec Zoo - the first in 16 years.
- VIDEO: On board a $300m superyacht Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:16:12 GMT
- Nima Abu Wardeh takes a tour of the most expensive superyacht currently on the market.
- VIDEO: 'Electronic lollipop' simulates taste Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:09:20 GMT
- Scientists at City University, London have developed a machine that they say is able to simulate taste.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sun, 09 Mar 2014 02:05:56 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.