"Men do not understand books until they have had a certain amount of life, or at any rate no man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least part of its contents."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- US rescuers comb tornado-hit area Wed, 22 May 2013 06:45:38 GMT
- The rescue effort after the Oklahoma twister that killed 24 people nears an end, as it emerges the storm was more powerful than thought.
- US immigration bill passes hurdle Wed, 22 May 2013 01:32:16 GMT
- A sweeping immigration bill that would offer a chance of citizenship to millions living in the US illegally takes a stride forward in Congress.
- Notre-Dame suicide a 'political act' Wed, 22 May 2013 02:30:37 GMT
- France's far-right leader Marine Le Pen pays tribute to the man who killed himself in the Notre-Dame de Paris cathedral, saying it was a "political act".
- N Korea leader sends envoy to China Wed, 22 May 2013 03:43:15 GMT
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has sent a special envoy to Beijing, state media announces, amid cooling relations after weeks of tension.
- IPL cricketer denies spot-fixing Wed, 22 May 2013 04:58:18 GMT
- Indian fast bowler S Sreesanth, arrested last week over allegations of spot-fixing in the Indian Premier League, insists he is innocent.
- Cameron to warn EU summit over tax Wed, 22 May 2013 04:15:44 GMT
- David Cameron is to urge EU leaders to back action against the tax evasion and "aggressive" tax avoidance he says is costing all nations.
- Afghan interpreters to get UK visas Wed, 22 May 2013 00:47:19 GMT
- Up to 600 Afghan interpreters who worked alongside British troops are set to be given the right to live in the UK, in an apparent climbdown by ministers.
- Sinai security hostages 'freed' Wed, 22 May 2013 05:45:54 GMT
- Seven members of the Egyptian security forces abducted in the Sinai peninsula last week have been freed, officials say.
- Tax and energy to dominate EU summit Wed, 22 May 2013 00:10:36 GMT
- EU leaders will seek to curb tax evasion, which costs EU states 1tn euros a year, and bring down energy prices to boost competition.
- Spanish couple kidnapped in Colombia Tue, 21 May 2013 22:46:02 GMT
- Two Spanish tourists are kidnapped in north-western Colombia while driving to a tourist attraction in La Guajira, near the Venezuelan border.
- 10% of UK wildlife 'endangered' Wed, 22 May 2013 07:23:06 GMT
- A stocktake of UK nature suggests 60% of animal and plant species have declined in the past 50 years - and one in 10 could end up disappearing.
- Bowie bassist Bolder dies aged 62 Tue, 21 May 2013 22:26:01 GMT
- Trevor Bolder, the bassist in David Bowie's legendary 1970s backing band Spiders From Mars, has died from cancer at the age of 62.
- Gandhi's will and sandals auctioned Tue, 21 May 2013 17:24:33 GMT
- Mahatma Gandhi's last will and testament sells for more than £50,000 as dozens of Gandhi memorabilia is sold at auction.
- Pacy pigeon Bolt sets world record Tue, 21 May 2013 14:52:06 GMT
- A Belgian racing pigeon called Bolt is sold to a Chinese businessman for a world record price of 310,000 euros (£260,000; $400,000).
- VIDEO: Apple chief hits back in tax row Tue, 21 May 2013 16:31:10 GMT
- CEO Tim Cook has spoken out in defence of Apple, after a Senate committee accused the company of using "a complex web of offshore entities" to avoid paying billions of dollars in US income taxes.