"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."
—Saint Augustine (354-430) Christian church father, philosopher, bishop
- 'Giant of history' Mandela honoured Tue, 10 Dec 2013 14:58:15 GMT
- Tens of thousands join world leaders at a rainswept memorial for South Africa's Nelson Mandela, with Barack Obama hailing him a "giant of history".
- Two French soldiers killed in CAR Tue, 10 Dec 2013 10:46:45 GMT
- Two French soldiers are killed in overnight fighting in the Central African Republic amid an operation to restore order to the troubled country.
- Jail sentence for PIP implant boss Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:52:38 GMT
- The founder of French company PIP, which distributed defective breast implants, is sentenced to four years in prison for fraud.
- S Korea says North in 'terror reign' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:07:25 GMT
- South Korea's president warns ties with North Korea could become more unstable after the purge of key powerbroker Chang Song-thaek.
- Same-sex weddings to begin in March Tue, 10 Dec 2013 14:55:42 GMT
- The first same-sex weddings in England and Wales can take place from 29 March 2014, Equalities Minister Maria Miller says.
- Spanish journalists seized in Syria Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:20:35 GMT
- Two Spanish journalists have been kidnapped in Syria by a radical Islamist group linked to al-Qaeda, the newspaper El Mundo says.
- Abu Qatada denies terror charges Tue, 10 Dec 2013 13:25:57 GMT
- Radical cleric Abu Qatada denies terror charges at a Jordanian court, and complains the presence of a military judge means he is being denied a fair trial.
- Diplomats bid to end Ukraine crisis Tue, 10 Dec 2013 13:46:37 GMT
- Top Western diplomats push for a settlement of the crisis in Ukraine as police move to break blockades by pro-EU protesters in Kiev.
- Deadly Argentina looting spreads Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:08:03 GMT
- Five people are killed in widespread looting in Argentina after police in 17 provinces go on strike to demand higher salaries to match rising inflation.
- Google lets users create Street View Tue, 10 Dec 2013 02:29:35 GMT
- Google unveils a new tool that allows users to create a Street View - a 360 degree virtual tour - of any place and share it using Google Maps.
- Coldest spot on Earth identified Mon, 09 Dec 2013 23:07:50 GMT
- The coldest place on Earth is measured by satellite to be a bitter minus 93.2 Celsius (-135.8F) in the heart of Antarctica.
- Sound of Music actress dies at 91 Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:05:13 GMT
- Oscar-nominated actress Eleanor Parker, who was best-known for playing the baroness in The Sound of Music, dies aged 91.
- Ikea wolf becomes HK protest symbol Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:42:00 GMT
- A stuffed toy wolf stocked by Swedish furniture giant Ikea sells out in in Hong Kong, after it appears to have become an unlikely symbol of protest.
- Countdown begins for comet chaser Tue, 10 Dec 2013 06:30:31 GMT
- Scientists say they are in for an anxious wait as they prepare to wake the comet-chasing Rosetta probe from deep-space hibernation.
- VIDEO: Syria fighter: 'We are all al-Qaeda' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 04:28:35 GMT
- A 25-year-old man from France talks about being part of the biggest brigade of foreign jihadists fighting in Syria, and why he left them.