"[A] book ... unlike a television program, moving picture or any other 'modern means of communication' ... can wait for years, yet be available at any moment when it happens to be needed."
—Joseph Wood Krutch (1893-1970) American critic, natrualist, writer, The Modern Temper
- Missing Malaysia jet 'a mystery' Mon, 10 Mar 2014 05:26:06 GMT
- The fate of missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 remains "a mystery", says Malaysia's civil aviation chief, with hijacking not ruled out.
- Assad forces 'starving' refugee camp Mon, 10 Mar 2014 00:06:07 GMT
- Starvation of civilians is being used as a weapon of war by Syria, Amnesty says, with 128 dying as a result in Yarmouk camp in Damascus.
- Mexico kills 'long-dead' drug lord Mon, 10 Mar 2014 03:22:11 GMT
- Officials in Michoacan, Mexico say that they have shot dead drug lord Nazario Moreno - The Craziest One - who was reported killed in 2010.
- El Salvador rivals claim poll win Mon, 10 Mar 2014 04:28:42 GMT
- Both candidates in El Salvador's presidential election have claimed victory after a preliminary count showed the vote was too close to call.
- Asian markets tumble on weak data Mon, 10 Mar 2014 05:09:07 GMT
- Asian shares fall after both China and Japan released disappointing economic data, worrying investors about a slowdown in the region.
- Ukraine gripped by rival rallies Sun, 09 Mar 2014 21:51:04 GMT
- Tens of thousands of people across Ukraine hold rival pro-unity and pro-Russian rallies, as Moscow continues to strengthen its grip on Crimea.
- Day six in Pistorius murder trial Mon, 10 Mar 2014 06:22:34 GMT
- The trial of South African athlete Oscar Pistorius for the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp is set to enter its second week in Pretoria.
- Migrants die in Yemen boat sinking Sun, 09 Mar 2014 23:13:32 GMT
- Forty-two African migrants have drowned when their boat capsized off the coast of Yemen, according to officials.
- Syria rebels free kidnapped nuns Mon, 10 Mar 2014 01:32:56 GMT
- A group of Greek Orthodox nuns kidnapped by rebels in the Syrian Christian town of Maaloula in December have been released.
- New threat to ozone layer identified Sun, 09 Mar 2014 18:09:01 GMT
- Scientists identify four new man-made gases that are contributing to the depletion of the ozone layer.
- Blood test 'finds Alzheimer's early' Sun, 09 Mar 2014 18:13:26 GMT
- A blood test can accurately predict the onset of Alzheimer's disease, according to US researchers.
- Maldives poll commission sentenced Sun, 09 Mar 2014 20:29:05 GMT
- The Maldives Supreme Court sentences the entire election commission to six months in jail, suspended for three years, for "disobeying orders".
- VIDEO: Live coverage of Pistorius trial Mon, 10 Mar 2014 06:51:46 GMT
- Live coverage of the trial of South African athlete Oscar Pistorius, who denies murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day 2013.
- VIDEO: Iran nuclear deal 'within months' Sun, 09 Mar 2014 23:32:20 GMT
- The Iranian foreign minister has told the visiting EU foreign policy chief, Catherine Ashton, that a nuclear deal could come in the next four months.
- VIDEO: Plane and skydiver collide mid-air Sun, 09 Mar 2014 17:15:14 GMT
- A pilot and jumper escaped with minor injuries after a plane became entangled in the strings of a skydiver's parachute, sending both crashing into the ground near Tampa, Florida.