"Whenever you read a good book, it's like the author is right there, in the room, talking to you, which is why I don't like to read good books."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- WTO agrees global trade agreement Sat, 07 Dec 2013 09:05:18 GMT
- The World Trade Organization agrees a historic global deal aimed at boosting commerce, which could add nearly $1tn to the global economy.
- Crowds celebrate Mandela's life Sat, 07 Dec 2013 09:14:30 GMT
- Vigils are continuing across South Africa to celebrate the life of the country's first black president, Nelson Mandela, who has died aged 95.
- US citizen released by North Korea Sat, 07 Dec 2013 03:33:24 GMT
- US citizen Merrill Newman arrives in the Chinese capital, Beijing, after being deported from North Korea following more than a month in detention there.
- 'Hundreds dead' in CAR violence Fri, 06 Dec 2013 22:54:53 GMT
- At least 300 people have been killed in two days of violence in the Central African Republic capital, Bangui, the Red Cross says.
- Syria jihadists 'use Turkey bases' Sat, 07 Dec 2013 05:53:51 GMT
- Foreign jihadist fighters, including Britons, are using safe houses in southern Turkey to go to Syria to fight against government forces, the BBC has learnt.
- Arrests over Mexico radiation truck Fri, 06 Dec 2013 23:23:40 GMT
- Six men are detained in central Mexico over the robbery earlier this week of a truck containing radioactive material from a hospital.
- US power 'underpins Iran diplomacy' Sat, 07 Dec 2013 07:58:03 GMT
- Diplomacy with Iran over its nuclear programme must be backed by military power, US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel tells Gulf leaders.
- Jazz pianist Stan Tracey dies at 86 Fri, 06 Dec 2013 18:06:46 GMT
- British pianist Stan Tracey, one of the greats of the jazz world, dies at the age of 86.
- Many flights delayed at UK airports Sat, 07 Dec 2013 09:09:31 GMT
- Flights at several airports in the UK and Ireland are being delayed because of a technical problem at Swanwick air traffic control centre in Hampshire.
- Dylan's guitar sells for $965k Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:42:14 GMT
- The electric guitar played by Bob Dylan at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival sells at auction in New York for a record $965,000 (£591,000).
- Elton John 'sad' over Russia gay law Sat, 07 Dec 2013 00:36:14 GMT
- British singer Elton John urges Russia to end discrimination against gays and lesbians as he performs at a concert in Moscow.
- VIDEO: Russia and Ukraine surprise talks Sat, 07 Dec 2013 03:01:58 GMT
- Ukraine's President holds unscheduled talks with his Russian counterpart on a strategic partnership treaty.
- VIDEO: Six held over nuclear truck theft Sat, 07 Dec 2013 05:42:27 GMT
- Mexican authorities have detained six men suspected of stealing a truck carrying medical equipment, including a radioactive element.
- VIDEO: Dylan guitar sells for nearly $1m Fri, 06 Dec 2013 23:23:49 GMT
- The electric guitar played by Bob Dylan at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival has been sold at auction in New York for a record $965,000 (£591,000).
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sat, 07 Dec 2013 05:42:32 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.