"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket."
- Woolwich: Security services defended Fri, 24 May 2013 10:05:16 GMT
- The UK government defends the security services against criticism they missed signs which might have helped prevent the murder of a soldier in London.
- Obama defends 'just' drones war Fri, 24 May 2013 05:53:02 GMT
- President Obama defends the use of drones as a "just war" of self-defence against deadly militants, and a campaign that has made America safer.
- Plane 'fire' closes Heathrow runway Fri, 24 May 2013 09:44:08 GMT
- A plane with smoke billowing from one of its engines makes an emergency landing at Heathrow Airport.
- Syria 'to attend peace conference' Fri, 24 May 2013 09:22:50 GMT
- Russia says the Syrian government has agreed "in principle" to attend an international peace conference set to be held in Geneva in June.
- Powerful quake off Russia east coast Fri, 24 May 2013 08:31:50 GMT
- A strong earthquake strikes off the Kamchatka peninsula in Russia's far east, but an initial tsunami warning issued by the authorities is lifted.
- US Boy Scouts to allow gay members Fri, 24 May 2013 01:01:58 GMT
- The Boy Scouts of America organisation votes to accept openly gay scouts, after a divisive campaign pitting liberals against some religious groups.
- India soldiers die in Kashmir ambush Fri, 24 May 2013 06:56:32 GMT
- Three soldiers are killed in an ambush by suspected militants in the Pulwama district of Indian-administered Kashmir, officials say.
- US road bridge falls into river Fri, 24 May 2013 09:32:36 GMT
- Three people are rescued after part of a US road bridge on the main route between Seattle and Vancouver collapsed into a river in Washington state.
- 'Comfort women' snub Japan mayor Fri, 24 May 2013 09:27:14 GMT
- Two South Korean women forced into sexual slavery in WWII cancel a meeting with Osaka Mayor Toru Hashimoto, citing fears of "political exploitation".
- Cockroaches evolving to evade traps Fri, 24 May 2013 00:18:40 GMT
- Cockroaches are outsmarting our efforts to kill them by evolving to avoid the taste of sugar traps, a study reveals.
- Error blacklists Russian 'Facebook' Fri, 24 May 2013 09:48:52 GMT
- Russia's most popular social network, VKontakte, is temporarily blacklisted by mistake - and some users find it blocked.
- Giro stage cancelled because of snow Fri, 24 May 2013 08:47:16 GMT
- Friday's 19th stage of the Giro d'Italia is cancelled because of heavy snow as the race continues to be hit by unseasonal weather.
- Nasa to lease shuttle launch pad Thu, 23 May 2013 23:26:57 GMT
- Nasa is looking for commercial operators to lease a historic launch pad in Florida used for the first Moon missions and by the space shuttles.
- French ex-leader reveals panda story Thu, 23 May 2013 16:49:55 GMT
- Former French President Valery Giscard d'Estaing reveals he was once jumped on by a panda when he dared himself to enter its cage.
- VIDEO: Cockroaches evolve to beat traps Fri, 24 May 2013 09:20:53 GMT
- A mutant strain of cockroach that can outsmart the sugar traps used to kill them has evolved, scientists in the US have found.