"I think a good novel would be where a bunch of men on a ship are looking for a whale. They look and look, but you know what? They never find him. And you know why they never find him? It doesn't say. The book leaves it up to you, the reader, to decide. Then, at the very end, there's a page you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Deal struck to calm Ukraine crisis Thu, 17 Apr 2014 21:48:41 GMT
- Russia, Ukraine, the US and the European Union say all sides have agreed to steps to "de-escalate" the crisis in eastern Ukraine at talks in Geneva.
- Korea ship: Third officer 'had helm' Fri, 18 Apr 2014 03:56:27 GMT
- The third officer was at the helm of the ferry that capsized off South Korea, investigators say, as divers work to access the sunken hull.
- Author Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies Thu, 17 Apr 2014 23:30:19 GMT
- The Nobel prize-winning Colombian author Gabriel Garcia Marquez, author of One Hundred Years of Solitude, dies in Mexico aged 87, his family says.
- Deadly attack on South Sudan UN base Thu, 17 Apr 2014 21:44:44 GMT
- Dozens of civilians sheltering in a UN base in the South Sudan city of Bor have been killed in an attack by armed youths, the UN says.
- Ex-BP worker fined over shares trade Fri, 18 Apr 2014 00:10:09 GMT
- A BP employee who oversaw the cleanup of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in 2010 agrees to settle a charge of insider trading.
- Peru evacuates Ubinas volcano area Fri, 18 Apr 2014 00:36:30 GMT
- The authorities in Peru say they are evacuating 4,000 people living near the Ubinas volcano, in the south of the country, because of increased activity.
- Pistorius forensic tests challenged Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:50:29 GMT
- The tests carried out by a forensic expert for Oscar Pistorius' murder trial are rigorously challenged by the state prosecutor in South Africa.
- French troops free Mali aid workers Thu, 17 Apr 2014 19:20:05 GMT
- French troops in Mali free five aid workers who were kidnapped in the north of the country by suspected Islamist militants in February.
- Rob Ford launches re-election bid Fri, 18 Apr 2014 01:06:39 GMT
- Embattled Toronto Mayor Rob Ford kicks off his re-election campaign at an event his brother calls "history in the making".
- Iran has 'cut uranium stock' - IAEA Thu, 17 Apr 2014 23:04:37 GMT
- Iran has neutralised half of its higher-enriched uranium stockpile, in keeping with a deal agreed earlier this year, the world's nuclear watchdog says.
- Mini-sub performs full MH370 search Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:35:38 GMT
- A mini-sub searching for the missing Malaysian plane completes a full mission at its third attempt, after technical issues cut the first two short.
- Abu Hamza 'used cover of religion' Thu, 17 Apr 2014 16:46:44 GMT
- A radical cleric extradited from the UK "used the cover of religion" to hide his part in a global terror campaign, a prosecutor in New York says.
- VIDEO: 'We want to be part of Russia' Thu, 17 Apr 2014 22:24:18 GMT
- The BBC's Natalia Antelava visits a camp site of the self-declared people's Republic of Donetsk.
- VIDEO: French far-right 'opens arms' to UKIP Thu, 17 Apr 2014 22:42:39 GMT
- The leader of the French far right-wing Front National party has said that she would welcome collaboration with UKIP with "open arms".
- VIDEO: 'Most Earth-like planet yet' found Fri, 18 Apr 2014 03:39:18 GMT
- A planet that is close in size to the Earth and that could hold water on its surface has been identified by the Kepler telescope.