"In the dark colony of night, when I consider man's magnificent capacity for malice, madness, folly, envy, rage, and destructiveness, and I wonder whether we shall not end up as breakfast for newts and polyps, I seem to hear the muffled cries of all the words in all the books with covers closed."
—Leo C. Rosten
- N Korea purge sparks stability fears Fri, 13 Dec 2013 13:50:33 GMT
- The execution of a once-powerful uncle of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un raises fresh fears of instability in the secretive nuclear-armed state.
- S Africa closes queues for Mandela Fri, 13 Dec 2013 13:05:41 GMT
- South Africans are warned not to attempt to go to see Nelson Mandela's body in the capital, Pretoria, unless they are already in the queue.
- Irish bailout exit 'just one step' Fri, 13 Dec 2013 13:45:38 GMT
- The Irish Republic's exit from its bailout rescue programme is a "milestone" but not the end of the road, the country's finance minister says.
- US captive in Iran said to be CIA Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:50:56 GMT
- An ex-FBI agent believed held in Iran for the last seven years was working for the CIA on an unapproved mission, the Associated Press reports.
- Top Mafia suspect's family arrested Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:10:42 GMT
- Family members of Italy's most-wanted Sicilian Mafia suspect, Matteo Messina Denaro, are arrested in a police swoop in western Sicily.
- Bangladesh hangs Islamist leader Thu, 12 Dec 2013 20:23:16 GMT
- Bangladesh executes Islamist leader Abdul Kader Mullah, who was convicted of atrocities during the country's 1971 war of independence.
- Tunisia parties 'reach deal' on PM Fri, 13 Dec 2013 05:22:38 GMT
- Tunisia's governing Islamist Ennahda party and the opposition agree in principle on a new prime minister to lead a caretaker government.
- EU failing Syria refugees - Amnesty Fri, 13 Dec 2013 02:23:38 GMT
- European leaders should be ashamed by the paltry numbers of refugees from Syria they are prepared to resettle, human rights group Amnesty says.
- US House passes two-year budget deal Fri, 13 Dec 2013 01:17:46 GMT
- The US House of Representatives approves a two-year federal budget bill with strong cross-party support, making another government shutdown less likely.
- Belgium child euthanasia plan backed Fri, 13 Dec 2013 11:49:22 GMT
- Belgium takes a step towards becoming the first country in the world to remove age limits for euthanasia, after the Senate votes in favour.
- Two arrested for anti-Semitic tweets Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:42:47 GMT
- Two men are arrested after posting anti-Semitic tweets following a football match between Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham.
- Museum gains major Chinese art haul Fri, 13 Dec 2013 11:31:45 GMT
- The Ashmolean Museum announces the acquisition of one of the world's greatest collections of modern Chinese art.
- Beyonce puts surprise album online Fri, 13 Dec 2013 09:56:31 GMT
- Pop star Beyonce unexpectedly releases her fifth album on iTunes overnight, with 14 new tracks and 17 music videos.
- James Bond is an 'impotent drunk' Fri, 13 Dec 2013 01:06:57 GMT
- James Bond drinks so much he's probably impotent and will die young, according to doctors.
- VIDEO: No jail for fatal drink drive teen Fri, 13 Dec 2013 08:14:27 GMT
- A teenager in Texas has escaped jail after he killed four pedestrians while drink-driving. Ethan Couch, 16, registered at three times the legal drinking limit following the incident in June.