"The only words that ever satisfied me as describing Nature are the terms used in fairy books, charm, spell, enchantment. They express the arbitrariness of the fact and its mystery."
—Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936) British writer, critic
- Giant Oklahoma tornado kills dozens Tue, 21 May 2013 10:44:30 GMT
- At least 91 people, including 20 children, are feared dead as a huge tornado rips through Oklahoma City suburbs, flattening whole districts.
- Syria and Israel in exchange of fire Tue, 21 May 2013 11:17:05 GMT
- Israeli and Syrian forces trade fire across the ceasefire line in the Israeli occupied Golan Heights.
- Apple 'among US's big tax avoiders' Tue, 21 May 2013 10:45:27 GMT
- Apple is accused of being "among America's largest tax avoiders" by senators, who say the company avoided paying billions of dollars in taxes.
- Rios Montt's conviction annulled Tue, 21 May 2013 10:19:50 GMT
- Guatemala's top court throws out the genocide conviction of ex-leader Efrain Rios, whose trial will now be restarted from the middle of proceedings.
- Imran Khan walks again after fall Tue, 21 May 2013 11:56:06 GMT
- Pakistani politician Imran Khan walks a short distance in a brace, two weeks after damaging his spine in an election rally fall.
- Wi-fi shut down in Guantanamo alert Tue, 21 May 2013 11:35:14 GMT
- The US military's wireless internet service inside Guantanamo Bay has been shut down following threats by Anonymous hackers
- Saudi Arabia executes five Yemenis Tue, 21 May 2013 11:25:48 GMT
- Saudi Arabia executes five Yemenis convicted of murder and robbery, leaving their bodies hanging in public, in the town of Jizan.
- Muslims jailed over Burma clashes Tue, 21 May 2013 11:03:40 GMT
- Seven Muslims are jailed for their involvement in religious clashes in the Burmese town of Meiktila that left more than 40 people dead.
- North Koreans free Chinese crew Tue, 21 May 2013 04:00:02 GMT
- A Chinese fishing crew seized by unidentified North Koreans two weeks ago is freed along with their boat, reports say.
- Barroso urges full tax data exchange Tue, 21 May 2013 12:17:05 GMT
- The head of the European Commission tells the European Parliament he will argue for EU-wide exchange of income data to battle tax evasion.
- Irish potato famine pest identified Tue, 21 May 2013 03:05:28 GMT
- Scientists have used plant samples collected in the 19th Century to identify the pathogen that caused the Irish potato famine.
- Bed-sharing 'raises cot death risk' Tue, 21 May 2013 11:47:16 GMT
- Sharing a bed with your newborn baby increases the risk of sudden death syndrome - commonly known as cot death - fivefold, research suggests.
- Azerbaijan starts Eurovision inquiry Mon, 20 May 2013 16:38:01 GMT
- The president of Azerbaijan orders an investigation into why his country gave Russia "nul points" at Saturday's Eurovision Song Contest.
- Flightless penguin puzzle 'solved' Tue, 21 May 2013 05:25:54 GMT
- The underwater prowess of the penguin may have cost the bird its ability to fly, scientists believe.
- VIDEO: Burmese President visits White House Tue, 21 May 2013 05:32:36 GMT
- President Obama has welcomed Burma's president, Thein Sein, to the White House.