"In the dark colony of night, when I consider man's magnificent capacity for malice, madness, folly, envy, rage, and destructiveness, and I wonder whether we shall not end up as breakfast for newts and polyps, I seem to hear the muffled cries of all the words in all the books with covers closed."
—Leo C. Rosten
- Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates set to take reins in Miami Beach, Fla. Wed, 23 Apr 2014 01:00:23 MDT
- Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates is in line to become the new top cop for the Miami Beach Police Department.
- Fort Carson commander was suspended for alleged insensitivity Wed, 23 Apr 2014 01:00:07 MDT
- A Fort Carson commander who wasn't allowed to leave for Afghanistan with his troops last month was suspended over allegations that he was insensitive to victims of sexual assault and discrimination, the Gazette reported.
- Lawmakers want state audit of U.S. 36 deal Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:58:31 MDT
- A group of state lawmakers are asking for a state audit of the controversial public-private deal reached to widen and collect tolls on U.S. 36 between Denver and Boulder.
- Denver immigration lawyers sue for access to federal court building Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:57:48 MDT
- An association representing Colorado immigration attorneys is suing the U.S. Department of Homeland Security over immigration-court access problems at the Byron G. Rogers Federal Building in downtown Denver.
- Colorado budget committee OKs cautious plan for marijuana tax money Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:57:21 MDT
- A Colorado legislative committee on Tuesday approved a cautious plan for spending marijuana tax revenue in the next fiscal year — coming more than $20 million below what Gov. John Hickenlooper had requested.
- Colorado senate passes watered-down version of vaccine bill Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:54:58 MDT
- An attempt to improve vaccination rates in Colorado failed Tuesday in the state Senate.
- Boulder kids roll for Bike to School Day Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:54:27 MDT
- Boulder Valley School District's Bike to School Day benefited Tuesday from sunshine and warm weather, and students took full advantage.
- RTD looks at cellphone policy while others let texts fly Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:52:11 MDT
- Decorum over the handling of cellphones, iPads and other wireless devices at public meetings is stirring controversy as they become the primary communication tool of council members, county commissioners and legislators.
- House panel OKs bill limiting solitary confinement for mentally ill Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:50:47 MDT
- The Colorado House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday unanimously approved a bill that would restrict prison officials from placing inmates in "long term" solitary confinement if they are mentally ill.
- Colorado climbing guide witnesses Everest horror Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:50:23 MDT
- Colorado climbing guide Ricardo Peña is camped on Mount Everest waiting to find out whether the fallout from an avalanche that killed a group of Sherpas will end his dream of reaching the world's highest peak.
- Castle Rock mother, four kids hurt when hit by car in lot Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:46:32 MDT
- Castle Rock authorities are investigating a traffic accident in which four children and their mother were injured in a parking lot Tuesday in Founders Park.
- Mother sought in death of 5-month-old Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:46:14 MDT
- Gunnison police are looking for a 39-year-old woman who has been indicted in the death of her 5-month-old son.
- Georgia sex offender held in Jefferson County on child-sex charges Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:45:48 MDT
- A convicted sex offender from Georgia has been arrested after allegedly coming to Colorado to have sex with a teenager. James Lee Pierce, 52, was arrested Thursday in Jefferson County, according to prosecutors.
- Colorado Senate gives initial OK to version of "Jessica's Law" bill Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:45:30 MDT
- Mandatory sentences for child sex offenders will be bolstered in Colorado under a measure making its way through the legislature.
- Longmont boy survives fall from second-story window Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:45:10 MDT
- A toddler was taken to Longmont United Hospital after falling from a second-floor apartment window Tuesday.