"[A] book ... unlike a television program, moving picture or any other 'modern means of communication' ... can wait for years, yet be available at any moment when it happens to be needed."
—Joseph Wood Krutch (1893-1970) American critic, natrualist, writer, The Modern Temper
- VIDEO: Rubbish piles up on Rio streets Fri, 07 Mar 2014 22:14:20 GMT
- Rio Carnival officially ended on Wednesday but piles of rubbish left on the city's streets are still waiting be collected.
- VIDEO: 'Marry me!' Harry heckled at Wembley Fri, 07 Mar 2014 16:38:11 GMT
- Prince Harry has taken to the stage at Wembley Arena to address 12,000 young people taking part in the first We Day UK.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sat, 08 Mar 2014 02:46:33 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: 'I have nothing to do with Bitcoin' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:27:07 GMT
- Controversy is surrounding claims by Newsweek to have found the creator of the Bitcoin virtual currency.
- VIDEO: Drought threat looms over Kenya region Fri, 07 Mar 2014 06:23:13 GMT
- The Turkana region in northern Kenya is facing one of the worst droughts in living memory with more than 1m people in need of food aid.
- VIDEO: The physics of lasso tricks slowed down Fri, 07 Mar 2014 00:03:05 GMT
- Two classic cowboy rope tricks in super-slow motion.
- Great Walls 'could stop tornadoes' Sat, 08 Mar 2014 03:27:49 GMT
- Building gigantic walls across the US could protect Tornado Alley "forever", a physicist says, though critics say the idea is unworkable.
- VIDEO: Teapot-shaped building causes a stir Fri, 07 Mar 2014 13:49:07 GMT
- A giant teapot-shaped building is about to be opened to the public in China's eastern city of Wuxi.
- US economy adds 175,000 new jobs Fri, 07 Mar 2014 15:22:48 GMT
- The US economy added 175,000 jobs in February, figures show, but the unemployment rate rose to 6.7%.
- Landmark default in China solar firm Fri, 07 Mar 2014 06:36:07 GMT
- Chaori Solar becomes the first Chinese firm to default on its onshore corporate bonds, say media reports quoting the firm, after failing to make an interest payment.
- Samsung launches free music streaming Fri, 07 Mar 2014 21:25:14 GMT
- The world's biggest smartphone maker, Samsung, launches a free music streaming service called Milk Music.
- 'Bitcoin creator' denies involvement Fri, 07 Mar 2014 11:45:05 GMT
- The man singled out by a magazine as being behind the virtual currency denies any involvement.
- Tartt and Atwood vie for book award Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:48:13 GMT
- Margaret Atwood, Donna Tartt and Booker winner Eleanor Catton are among the novelists longlisted for this year's Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction.
- Washington set for Grey's Anatomy Fri, 07 Mar 2014 11:52:47 GMT
- Actor Isaiah Washington is to return to US medical drama Grey's Anatomy, seven years after he was fired from the show after using a gay slur.
- Tree storm damage 'worst since 1987' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:52:48 GMT
- This winter's extreme winds caused the biggest loss of trees in in more than 20 years, according to the National Trust.