"Beware of the man of one book."
—Saint Thomas Aquinas (1225-74) Italian Dominican monk, theologian, philosopher
- Putin 'to pardon Khodorkovsky' Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:54:13 GMT
- Russian President Vladimir Putin says he will soon pardon jailed ex-oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky, a day after MPs backed a wide-ranging amnesty.
- South Sudan attackers storm UN base Thu, 19 Dec 2013 17:57:05 GMT
- The United Nations says it fears there have been deaths after attackers force their way into a UN peacekeeping base in South Sudan's Jonglei state.
- Kate Middleton 'voicemails hacked' Thu, 19 Dec 2013 18:01:29 GMT
- Intimate voicemails left for Kate Middleton by Prince William were hacked by the News of the World, the phone-hacking trial hears.
- Yanukovych tells West to keep out Thu, 19 Dec 2013 12:22:59 GMT
- Ukraine's Russian-backed President, Viktor Yanukovych, says he is categorically opposed to Western politicians intervening in Ukraine's crisis.
- UK 'was involved in rendition' Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:34:12 GMT
- There is evidence Britain was inappropriately involved in the rendition and ill-treatment of terror suspects, an inquiry has revealed.
- Kenyatta trial may be adjourned Thu, 19 Dec 2013 17:54:49 GMT
- The International Criminal Court prosecutor requests an adjournment in the trial of Kenya's President Kenyatta after the loss of two key witnesses.
- Cuba loosens car buying restrictions Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:21:34 GMT
- Cuba is loosening long-standing restrictions on people buying foreign-made new and used cars, according to state media.
- Mandela interpreter 'hospitalised' Thu, 19 Dec 2013 10:39:33 GMT
- The sign language interpreter at Nelson Mandela's memorial service, accused of making up gestures, is admitted to a psychiatric hospital, local media say.
- Istanbul police chief dismissed Thu, 19 Dec 2013 12:21:36 GMT
- The head of Istanbul's police is dismissed in the aftermath of mass arrests by officers investigating corruption claims, reports say.
- Two guilty of Lee Rigby murder Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:21:54 GMT
- Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale are found guilty of the murder of soldier Lee Rigby in Woolwich, south-east London in May.
- Syria abductions 'a terror strategy' Thu, 19 Dec 2013 12:32:20 GMT
- The Syrian government is systematically abducting civilians as part of a widespread campaign of terror, UN investigators say.
- European markets rise on Fed move Thu, 19 Dec 2013 17:28:38 GMT
- European stock markets rise on news of the US Fed's "taper", but Wall Street fails to hold on to gains made after the announcement.
- EU summit to approve banking reforms Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:21:38 GMT
- EU leaders meeting in Brussels are to sign off a long-awaited pact on closing failing banks, seen as the biggest centralisation of power in the bloc since the euro's launch.
- Man sets himself on fire in Vatican Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:02:07 GMT
- A man is hospitalised with severe burns after setting himself alight in St Peter's Square in Vatican City, church officials say.
- Suicide bombers target Iraq pilgrims Thu, 19 Dec 2013 17:25:37 GMT
- Shia pilgrims travelling to the Iraqi holy city of Karbala have been targeted in three suicide bomb attacks, with at least 29 people dead.