"In the dark colony of night, when I consider man's magnificent capacity for malice, madness, folly, envy, rage, and destructiveness, and I wonder whether we shall not end up as breakfast for newts and polyps, I seem to hear the muffled cries of all the words in all the books with covers closed."
—Leo C. Rosten
- Thai murder police expand DNA tests Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:44:43 GMT
- Thai police expand DNA testing on the island of Koh Tao to try to identify the killers of British tourists Hannah Witheridge and David Miller.
- Week in pictures: 13-19 September 2014 Fri, 19 Sep 2014 14:19:20 GMT
- The best news photos from around the world
- Day in pictures: 19 September Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:23:08 GMT
- News images from around the world: 19 September
- In pictures: Scottish independence referendum results Fri, 19 Sep 2014 08:13:28 GMT
- Scotland votes "No" to independence
- Your pictures: Vintage Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:26:35 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "vintage"
- Day in pictures: 18 September Thu, 18 Sep 2014 12:33:26 GMT
- News images from around the world: 18 September
- In pictures: Memory of History Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:48:00 GMT
- Lewis Bush's pictures link the past with the present
- In pictures: Scotland decides Fri, 19 Sep 2014 04:50:13 GMT
- Images from the Scottish independence referendum
- Your Pictures: Photos from Wales Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:26:47 GMT
- A selection of your photos from around Wales
- Ants v humans Sun, 21 Sep 2014 23:04:48 GMT
- Do all the world's ants really weigh as much as all the humans?
- 'I lost a job because of my tattoos' Mon, 22 Sep 2014 02:55:11 GMT
- People who lost their jobs because of their tattoos
- Yemen's road to democracy uncertain Mon, 22 Sep 2014 20:53:01 GMT
- Yemen's road to democracy far from clear
- IS challenges US to put boots on ground Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:47:35 GMT
- Why Islamic State wants the West to put boots on the ground
- New chapter in Rob Ford soap opera Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:50:07 GMT
- Toronto mayor's enemies unite with him in new battle
- 'Why I bet £900k on the Scottish referendum' Mon, 22 Sep 2014 14:17:15 GMT
- 'Why I bet £900,000 on the Scottish independence referendum'