"Beyond the formative effects of reading on the individuals composing society, the fact that they have read the same books gives them experiences and ideas in common. These constitute a kind of shorthand of ideas which helps make communication quicker and more efficient. That is what we mean when we say figuratively of another person, We speak the same language."
—Charles Scribner, Jr.
- Iodine deficiency 'may lower IQs' Wed, 22 May 2013 00:23:29 GMT
- Mild iodine deficiency during pregnancy could be dimming the intellect of some babies born in the UK, say researchers who studied 1,000 families.
- Day in pictures: 21 May 2013 Tue, 21 May 2013 11:54:23 GMT
- Twenty-four hours of news photos: 21 May
- In pictures: India's fading trams Mon, 20 May 2013 23:19:20 GMT
- India's last remaining tramcars
- In pictures: Monster tornado hits Oklahoma Tue, 21 May 2013 16:17:59 GMT
- Gigantic tornado rips through Oklahoma City
- Eurovision Song Contest in pictures Sat, 18 May 2013 23:31:10 GMT
- 58th Eurovision Song Contest in Malmo
- Day in pictures: 20 May 2013 Mon, 20 May 2013 11:45:58 GMT
- Twenty-four hours of news photos: 20 May
- In pictures: English ritual year Sat, 18 May 2013 08:29:31 GMT
- Idiosyncratic English rituals on camera
- Week in pictures: 11-17 May 2013 Fri, 17 May 2013 15:40:43 GMT
- Some of the best news photos this week
- In pictures: Things come apart Fri, 17 May 2013 07:26:07 GMT
- Inside everyday objects and design classics
- Is Fussball coming home? Wed, 22 May 2013 03:59:19 GMT
- Is Wembley the cradle of German football?
- Wayne Rooney's baby and The K effect Wed, 22 May 2013 03:37:24 GMT
- Why is Wayne Rooney's baby Klay rather than Clay?
- Unmasking Chile's hooded protesters Wed, 22 May 2013 01:25:05 GMT
- Spotlight on Chile's masked protest movement
- Israeli court considers landmark property law cases Wed, 22 May 2013 02:40:10 GMT
- Landmark ruling could halt Israel's seizure of Palestinian property
- Can China become a hi-tech economy? Wed, 22 May 2013 00:52:36 GMT
- Can China harness its millions of cheap graduates?
- Is a paperless library still a library? Tue, 21 May 2013 23:13:20 GMT
- Getting ready for bookless libraries