"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."
- US works to free trio in N Korea Tue, 02 Sep 2014 02:50:51 GMT
- The White House says securing the release of three American citizens detained in North Korea is a "top priority", after they appealed for help.
- Reunite Ashya with parents - Clegg Tue, 02 Sep 2014 13:25:31 GMT
- The deputy prime minister calls for the parents of five-year-old brain tumour patient Ashya King to be freed from custody and reunited with their son.
- Abuse case council faces inspection Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:00:08 GMT
- The government is considering conducting an inspection of Rotherham Council in the wake of the child abuse scandal, Home Secretary Theresa May says.
- Boris Island airport plan 'not dead' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 08:20:55 GMT
- Mayor of London Boris Johnson says plans for an airport in the Thames Estuary, dubbed "Boris Island", are not dead despite a commission looking into the UK's airport needs rejecting the idea.
- Clacton by-election set for October Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:26:50 GMT
- The Clacton by-election, triggered by Douglas Carswell's defection to UKIP, is to be held on 9 October, the Conservative Party says.
- Day in pictures: 2 September 2014 Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:58:03 GMT
- News images from around the world: 2 September
- British Wildlife Photography Awards Mon, 01 Sep 2014 12:23:58 GMT
- Winners of the 2014 British Wildlife Photography Awards
- In pictures: India's coal miners Sun, 31 Aug 2014 20:34:57 GMT
- Coal miners a work in eastern India
- New Documentary Photography from Scotland & Wales Wed, 27 Aug 2014 07:17:12 GMT
- Photographers' images of Scotland and Wales
- Day in pictures: 1 September 2014 Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:49:04 GMT
- News images from around the world: 1 September
- Day in pictures: 29 August 2014 Fri, 29 Aug 2014 14:20:50 GMT
- News images from around the world: 29 August
- Richard Attenborough career in pictures Sun, 24 Aug 2014 22:36:55 GMT
- British actor and director's illustrious career
- In pictures: India's 'untouchable' scavengers Mon, 25 Aug 2014 05:37:59 GMT
- Calls to end India's low-caste manual scavenging
- Why Paris is forgetting Ernest Hemingway Tue, 02 Sep 2014 00:04:29 GMT
- Why Paris is forgetting Ernest Hemingway
- How much has the ice bucket challenge achieved? Tue, 02 Sep 2014 01:31:21 GMT
- How much has the Ice Bucket Challenge achieved?