"It seems to me the book has not just aesthetic values-- the charming little clothy box of the thing, the smell of the glue, even the print, which has its own beauty. But there's something about the sensation of ink on paper that is in some sense a thing, a phenomenon rather than an epiphenomenon. I can't break the association of electric trash with the computer screen. Words on the screen give the sense of being just another passing electronic wriggle."
—John Hoyer Updike (b. 1932) American writer, Rabbit, Run, Rabbit at Rest
- German hostage freed in Nigeria Thu, 30 Oct 2014 17:02:04 GMT
- A German citizen is freed in Nigeria after being held for a week following his abduction in which a German colleague was killed.
- Mexico head meets students' families Thu, 30 Oct 2014 05:20:53 GMT
- Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto meets the families of 43 students who went missing more than a month ago, sparking nationwide protests.
- Tunisia secularists win elections Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:03:58 GMT
- Tunisia's secularist Nidaa Tounes party wins 81 seats in parliament, pushing the Islamists of Ennahda into second place, official results show.
- Rocket makers probe US explosion Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:27:46 GMT
- The builders of an unmanned supply rocket which exploded on the way to the International Space Station have vowed to find the cause of the failure.
- UK can be sued over rendition case Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:28:55 GMT
- A Libyan man can sue the UK government over claims he was illegally sent back to Libya and tortured, the Court of Appeal rules.
- Sarah Payne's father found dead Thu, 30 Oct 2014 17:15:15 GMT
- The father of murdered schoolgirl Sarah Payne is found dead at his home in Kent.
- End 'robotic' drugs policy - MPs Thu, 30 Oct 2014 16:45:37 GMT
- MPs back calls for a review of 40-year old legislation on drug misuse - as a row breaks out at the top of the coalition over drugs laws.
- New strike by NHS staff announced Thu, 30 Oct 2014 17:05:51 GMT
- NHS workers, including nurses and midwives, are to stage a new four-hour strike in England on 24 November as part of an ongoing pay dispute.
- Day in pictures: 29 October Wed, 29 Oct 2014 12:07:03 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 29 October
- Day in pictures: 28 October Tue, 28 Oct 2014 19:03:14 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 28 October
- Bolshoi behind bars Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:44:58 GMT
- Costumes on show at a former prison
- Day in pictures: 27 October Mon, 27 Oct 2014 14:59:55 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 27 October
- Week in pictures: 18-24 October 2014 Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:02:34 GMT
- Top news images from 18-24 October
- Day in pictures: 23 October Thu, 23 Oct 2014 16:36:21 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 23 October
- Your pictures: Steps Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:11:23 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "steps"