"I do not believe that civilization will be wiped out in a war fought with the atomic bomb. Perhaps two-thirds of the people of the Earth might be killed, but enough men capable of thinking, and enough books, would be left to start again, and civilization could be restored."
—Albert Einstein (1875-1955) German-born American theoretical physicist, theories of relativity, philosopher
- New lights and AC for Sistine Chapel Thu, 30 Oct 2014 02:54:06 GMT
- The Vatican unveils a new lighting and air-conditioning system to better preserve and display the famous frescoes of the Sistine Chapel.
- Mexico head meets students' families Thu, 30 Oct 2014 05:20:53 GMT
- Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto meets the families of 43 students who went missing more than a month ago, sparking nationwide protests.
- Rebels reinforce besieged Kobane Wed, 29 Oct 2014 13:05:12 GMT
- Free Syrian Army fighters arrive in Kobane to help the defence of the Syrian border town under siege by Islamic State militants, sources there say.
- Lava flow creeps toward Hawaii homes Wed, 29 Oct 2014 22:55:09 GMT
- Rain has helped tamp down smoke from a creeping lava flow, which continues to threaten residents of a Hawaiian village.
- Penalties 'do not stop' drug use Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:00:23 GMT
- There is no link between tough laws and levels of illegal drug use, a Home Office study finds, sparking a policy row within the coalition government.
- Sarah Payne's father found dead Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:12:13 GMT
- The father of murdered schoolgirl Sarah Payne is found dead at his home in Kent.
- Ebola aid ship docks in Sierra Leone Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:30:23 GMT
- UK ship RFA Argus, which is carrying medical supplies, equipment and vehicles, arrives in Sierra Leone to help deal with the deadly Ebola outbreak.
- Man arrested over McConville murder Thu, 30 Oct 2014 09:16:57 GMT
- Police arrest a 73-year-old man in Dunmurry, on the outskirts of Belfast, in connection with the murder of Jean McConville.
- Day in pictures: 29 October Wed, 29 Oct 2014 12:07:03 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 29 October
- Day in pictures: 28 October Tue, 28 Oct 2014 19:03:14 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 28 October
- Bolshoi behind bars Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:44:58 GMT
- Costumes on show at a former prison
- Day in pictures: 27 October Mon, 27 Oct 2014 14:59:55 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 27 October
- Week in pictures: 18-24 October 2014 Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:02:34 GMT
- Top news images from 18-24 October
- Day in pictures: 23 October Thu, 23 Oct 2014 16:36:21 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 23 October
- Your pictures: Steps Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:11:23 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "steps"