"We have talked long enough in this country about equal rights. ... It is time now to write the next chapter-and to write it in the books of law."
—Lyndon Baines Johnson (1908-73) 36th US President, Democrat
- Sierra Leone begins Ebola lockdown Fri, 19 Sep 2014 16:58:32 GMT
- A three-day curfew is under way in Sierra Leone to enable health workers to find and isolate cases of Ebola, but critics warn it will achieve little.
- Ebola health team killed in Guinea Fri, 19 Sep 2014 08:58:45 GMT
- Eight members of a team trying to raise awareness about Ebola have been killed by villagers in Guinea, officials say.
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool Sat, 20 Sep 2014 20:05:25 GMT
- Liverpool suffer their third defeat in five Premier League games as West Ham United beat them 3-1 at Upton Park.
- Hamilton & Rosberg 'back to normal' Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:11:29 GMT
- Lewis Hamilton says his relationship with team-mate and title rival Nico Rosberg is "back to normal" after their Spa clash.
- The scary element that saved the crew of Apollo 13 Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:00:00 GMT
- Plutonium may be the most feared and fearsome substance in the entire periodic table, but it also saves lives.
- My family and other ibex Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:20:10 GMT
- The mountain goats of the Italian Alps used to be encountered by any hiker who ventured high enough. Not any more.
- ICC summons Kenya leader to hearing Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:33:50 GMT
- The International Criminal Court orders Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta to appear on 8 October, over claims his government obstructed prosecutors.
- NZ governing party wins elections Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:56:25 GMT
- New Zealand's governing National Party, led by Prime Minister John Key, wins an emphatic election victory, near-complete results show.
- Ukraine deal with eastern rebels Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:50:41 GMT
- The Ukrainian government and pro-Russian rebels agree a memorandum on a peace plan for the conflict in the east of the country, at talks in Minsk.
- Mexico 'leading drug lord' killed Fri, 19 Sep 2014 17:52:41 GMT
- Mexican police find the body of Aquiles Gomez, who was believed to be one of the top leaders of the Knights Templar drug cartel.
- Iran Happy dancers given 91 lashes Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:14:36 GMT
- Six Iranians arrested for filming a video tribute to Pharrell Williams' song Happy are sentenced to 91 lashes and jail terms, their lawyer says.
- NFL boss sorry over abuse scandals Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:01:08 GMT
- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says he 'got it wrong' in dealing with issues of domestic violence that have plagued the league over the past weeks.
- Labour attacks England-only MP votes Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:34:38 GMT
- Labour warns that creating England-only Commons votes will mean "two classes of MP", as parties deal with Scotland's rejection of independence.
- Scottish ministers 'back Sturgeon' Sat, 20 Sep 2014 23:19:07 GMT
- Half the Scottish cabinet are publicly backing Alex Salmond's deputy, Nicola Sturgeon, to replace him as SNP leader and first minister.
- William on official visit to Malta Sat, 20 Sep 2014 20:29:05 GMT
- The Duke of Cambridge is on an official visit to Malta to help the country celebrate the 50th anniversary of its independence.