"The advice of their elders to young men is very apt to be as unreal as a list of the hundred best books."
—Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. (1841-1935) American associate justice, US Supreme Court
- Tree storm damage 'worst since 1987' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:52:48 GMT
- This winter's extreme winds caused the biggest loss of trees in in more than 20 years, according to the National Trust.
- Malaria 'spreading to new altitudes' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 01:13:24 GMT
- Warmer temperatures are causing malaria to spread in the African and South American highlands, traditionally havens from the disease, scientists say.
- Warning over hospital superbug rise Fri, 07 Mar 2014 03:26:05 GMT
- Sixteen patients have died in Manchester over the past four years while infected with a highly resistant superbug, figures show.
- Wales game 'will impact on World Cup' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:58:03 GMT
- England coach Stuart Lancaster says a win over Wales can have a psychological impact on next year's World Cup.
- How to move a town two miles east Thu, 06 Mar 2014 01:26:46 GMT
- A 20-year project to move a town in Lapland two miles from its current location in the Arctic Circle is about to begin.
- When does a lost dog become the finder's property? Thu, 06 Mar 2014 11:41:10 GMT
- A family in California spent a week looking for their lost dog, only to find it had been adopted by someone else. What legal rights do US dog owners have?
- ICC convicts Congo militia leader Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:54:06 GMT
- The International Criminal Court finds Congo militia leader Germain Katanga guilty of complicity in war crimes but acquits him of sexual offences.
- Anwar gets jail term for sodomy Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:35:57 GMT
- A Malaysian court sentences opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim to five years in jail after overturning his acquittal on sodomy charges.
- Sochi ready for biggest Paralympics Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:36:13 GMT
- Russia will welcome the sporting world back to Sochi on Friday when the opening ceremony takes place for the Winter Paralympics.
- Venezuela expels Panama diplomats Fri, 07 Mar 2014 05:12:08 GMT
- Venezuela expels Panama's ambassador and three others as President Nicolas Maduro accuses the country of meddling amid ongoing opposition rallies.
- Niger extradites Gaddafi's son Thu, 06 Mar 2014 11:30:42 GMT
- The Libyan government says former leader Col Muammar Gaddafi's son, Saadi, has been extradited from Niger and is now in custody in Tripoli.
- US general faces assault accuser Fri, 07 Mar 2014 22:13:58 GMT
- A female US Army captain who says a general sexually assaulted her weeps as she tells a court he threatened to kill her family.
- Chief vows to restore trust in Met Fri, 07 Mar 2014 22:58:36 GMT
- The head of the Metropolitan Police has vowed to win back public trust after a report found officers spied on the family of murdered teenager Stephen Lawrence.
- Baltacha diagnosed with liver cancer Fri, 07 Mar 2014 17:09:33 GMT
- Former British tennis number one Elena Baltacha reveals she has been diagnosed with cancer of the liver.
- Games volunteer uniforms unveiled Fri, 07 Mar 2014 14:48:33 GMT
- The uniforms that will be worn by Commonwealth Games volunteers are unveiled during a huge induction event in Glasgow.