"Some books are undeservedly forgotten; none are undeservedly remembered."
—Wystan Hugh Auden (1907-73) British-born American writer, critic
- Plain packs 'no illegal smoking link' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:15:39 GMT
- A study of smokers in Australia suggests there is "no evidence" that the introduction of standardised cigarette packaging has changed the way people buy cigarettes.
- Everton 3-6 Chelsea Sat, 30 Aug 2014 19:05:48 GMT
- Diego Costa scores twice as Chelsea win a nine-goal thriller against Everton to keep up their 100% start to the season.
- India beat England to take 2-0 lead Sat, 30 Aug 2014 16:56:27 GMT
- India beat England by six wickets at Trent Bridge to take a 2-0 lead in the one-day series with two games left.
- The makeover that's divided a nation Sat, 30 Aug 2014 01:00:22 GMT
- Macedonia has embarked on a major revamp of its capital city, Skopje. But the changes have been controversial with some calling the makeover a "crime".
- The millionaires who rescue people at sea Thu, 28 Aug 2014 23:51:10 GMT
- A couple in Malta have launched what they say is the world's first privately funded boat to help migrants in trouble at sea.
- Lesotho PM flees 'military coup' Sat, 30 Aug 2014 14:53:50 GMT
- Lesotho's prime minister crosses into South Africa, accusing Lesotho's army of staging a coup and telling the BBC his life is in danger.
- India's growth hits two year high Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:52:51 GMT
- India's economy grew by 5.7% in the three months to June, its fastest pace in two-and-a-half years, according to an official estimate.
- Italian and Pole get top EU jobs Sat, 30 Aug 2014 18:17:37 GMT
- EU leaders appoint Italy's Federica Mogherini as EU foreign policy chief and Poland's Donald Tusk as European Council President.
- Jews 'forced' from Guatemala village Sat, 30 Aug 2014 01:38:45 GMT
- Some 230 members of an Orthodox Jewish group begin leaving a village in western Guatemala after a bitter row with the local indigenous community.
- Iran anger over new US sanctions Sat, 30 Aug 2014 14:20:31 GMT
- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani criticises new US sanctions, saying they will harm negotiations over his country's nuclear programme.
- Cold War US spy dies in prison Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:17:59 GMT
- A former US navy sailor who led a spy ring for the Soviet Union has died in a prison medical centre at the age of 77.
- Cameron welcomes EU chief's pledge Sun, 31 Aug 2014 01:41:18 GMT
- David Cameron welcomes a commitment by Donald Tusk, the new president of the European Council, to reach a deal with the UK on EU reform.
- 'Urgent' call for obesity taskforce Sun, 31 Aug 2014 07:41:34 GMT
- Doctors' leaders are calling for an emergency taskforce to be set up to tackle childhood obesity in England.
- Experts argue for drink price plan Sat, 30 Aug 2014 23:22:12 GMT
- Health professionals say they are stepping up efforts to see alcohol minimum pricing in place in Scotland, with a seminar being held in Brussels.
- E-cig liquid 'potentially harmful' Sun, 31 Aug 2014 04:52:13 GMT
- E-cigarette liquid bought on Tyneside contained a potentially harmful chemical, an investigation by BBC Inside Out finds.