"The ideas I stand for are not mine. I borrowed them from Socrates. I swiped them from Chesterfield. I stole them from Jesus. And I put them in a book. If you don't like their rules whose would you use?"
—Dale Carnegie (1888-1955) American pioneer in self-improvement
- Concerns grow over Iceland volcano Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:47:08 GMT
- Overnight earthquakes raise fears that magma from Iceland's Bardarbunga volcano could be heading towards another large volcanic system, scientists say.
- Nigeria closes schools over Ebola Wed, 27 Aug 2014 14:44:14 GMT
- Nigerian schools are ordered to remain shut, delaying the new academic year until 13 October as part of measures to prevent the spread of Ebola.
- Tomatoes linked with fighting cancer Wed, 27 Aug 2014 17:03:56 GMT
- Eating tomatoes may lower the risk of prostate cancer, research suggests.
- Arsenal 1-0 Besiktas Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:19:16 GMT
- Alexis Sanchez hits the only goal as 10-man Arsenal beat Besiktas to qualify for the Champions League group stage.
- India thrash England in second ODI Wed, 27 Aug 2014 18:10:46 GMT
- England lose by a crushing 133 runs in the second one-day international at Cardiff after Suresh Raina's superb century.
- The etiquette of reclining seats on flights Tue, 26 Aug 2014 23:11:32 GMT
- When is it acceptable to lean back at 30,000ft, asks Jon Kelly.
- The rehab centres that lock up addicts Tue, 26 Aug 2014 23:15:58 GMT
- In Guatemala City, thousands of addicts are offered treatment by churches - while Christianity offers salvation for some, many are held behind bars against their will.
- Mali to prosecute migrant parents Wed, 27 Aug 2014 18:12:36 GMT
- Mali says it intends to prosecute parents who send their underage children to Europe as migrants but needs Europe's co-operation to do so.
- Japan PM marks war criminal ceremony Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:06:38 GMT
- Japanese PM Shinzo Abe sent a message to a ceremony honouring war criminals, official confirm, amid strained ties with China and South Korea.
- Experts identify 173 MH17 victims Wed, 27 Aug 2014 15:00:27 GMT
- Forensics officers have so far identified 173 victims of flight MH17, shot down over Ukraine, but say the process is getting more difficult.
- Policemen jailed over Ecuador revolt Wed, 27 Aug 2014 11:45:24 GMT
- Six Ecuadorean police officers who took part in a 2010 mutiny are sentenced to 12 years in jail for trying to assassinate President Rafael Correa.
- UN to act on Libya militia leaders Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:13:45 GMT
- The UN Security Council calls for an immediate ceasefire in Libya and sanctions against those involved in the recent surge in violence there.
- Cops crewmember killed by US police Wed, 27 Aug 2014 22:42:29 GMT
- A crew member on the US police reality TV show Cops is shot and killed when Nebraska police open fire on a robbery suspect.
- Wright quits Labour but not PCC role Wed, 27 Aug 2014 23:48:31 GMT
- Shaun Wright resigns from the Labour Party but refuses to quit his South Yorkshire police and crime commissioner role following a damning report into child abuse.
- PM: UK 'supports million Scots jobs' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 23:55:08 GMT
- The prime minister is to tell business leaders that the UK is "an economy of opportunity" which supports one million Scottish jobs.