"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."
—Saint Augustine (354-430) Christian church father, philosopher, bishop
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 24 Sep 2014 02:58:07 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: WW1 bus retraces Ypres battle routes Tue, 23 Sep 2014 07:15:11 GMT
- A London bus used in the Allied war effort of 1914 is retracing its route in Belgium.
- VIDEO: Paralysed father 'walks' at wedding Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:42:47 GMT
- A wheelchair user was able to stand up to deliver his speech at his daughter's wedding celebration thanks to a special robotic suit.
- AUDIO: Pink Floyd unveil new album cover Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:13:06 GMT
- As the artwork for the new Pink Floyd album is unveiled, the band's creative director Aubrey Po speaks to BBC 6 Music about finding the right cover.
- VIDEO: Many Islamabad state schools closed Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:18:22 GMT
- Weeks after the start of term, many state schools in the capital, Islamabad, are still closed, after being taken over by police drafted in to deal with ongoing political protests.
- Seattle to fine for wasted food Tue, 23 Sep 2014 23:30:37 GMT
- The Seattle city council votes to fine businesses and residents that waste too much food, in an effort to boost composting and recycling.
- Cape Town shuts pro-gay mosque Tue, 23 Sep 2014 18:46:02 GMT
- A gay-friendly mosque opened in Cape Town last week is closed because it does not have any parking spaces, a South African official tells the BBC.
- Starbucks in Japanese partner buyout Wed, 24 Sep 2014 01:05:30 GMT
- US coffee chain Starbucks plans to buy the remaining 60.5% stake of its Japanese unit in a $914m deal.
- RBS cuts price in Citizens sale Wed, 24 Sep 2014 00:24:07 GMT
- Royal Bank of Scotland cuts the price of shares in the sale of a stake in US bank, Citizens Financial Group.
- Google warned over anti-trust fine Tue, 23 Sep 2014 16:17:24 GMT
- EU competition commissioner says that "the next logical step" in Google anti-trust case is a fine.
- Museum reunites Colossus veterans Mon, 22 Sep 2014 22:56:14 GMT
- The largest gathering of veterans who operated the Colossus code-cracking computer in World War II has been held at Bletchley Park.
- Singer to direct new X-Men outing Tue, 23 Sep 2014 08:36:02 GMT
- Film-maker Bryan Singer is to direct X-Men: Apocalypse, the next movie in the long-running blockbuster franchise.
- Four Mobo nominations for Sam Smith Tue, 23 Sep 2014 15:12:33 GMT
- Sam Smith and Krept & Konan lead the way with four nominations each for this year's Mobo Awards.
- Liberia in 'trees for cash' deal Tue, 23 Sep 2014 08:11:15 GMT
- Liberia is to become the first nation in Africa to completely stop cutting down its trees in return for development aid.
- Farming 'vital for global growth' Wed, 24 Sep 2014 00:46:34 GMT
- Scientific agricultural advances can help "climate-proof" farming systems around the globe, especially in developing nations, a conference will hear.