"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book - I'll waste no time reading it."
—Moses Hadas (1900-66)
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 29 Aug 2014 23:55:26 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Police seize gamer during live broadcast Thu, 28 Aug 2014 15:22:53 GMT
- A video gamer in Denver was dramatically involved in a raid by armed police acting on an assumed hoax call - and the incident was broadcast live online.
- VIDEO: Buried gold sparks treasure hunt Thu, 28 Aug 2014 19:43:37 GMT
- Hundreds of people have descended on Folkestone beach in a bid to get their hands on a share of buried gold worth £10,000.
- VIDEO: Brad and Angelina marry in France Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:49:55 GMT
- Hollywood stars Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have married in France, a spokesman confirms.
- VIDEO: Litter bug mountaineers 'must recycle' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 23:01:55 GMT
- Over the decades tonnes of disposed tents, spent oxygen cylinders and bottles have been left behind on Mount Everest by people trying to scale it. Now authorities are urging them to bring the waste back down with them to recycle it.
- Legroom row diverts second US flight Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:56:32 GMT
- A US flight bound for Europe diverts after a mid-air fight between passengers over legroom, in the second such incident in a week.
- River Kwai film bridge to be rebuilt Fri, 29 Aug 2014 18:18:04 GMT
- Sri Lanka is to rebuild the replica bridge destroyed in an iconic scene from the film Bridge on the River Kwai, as part of a tourism drive.
- Russian rouble falls to new low Fri, 29 Aug 2014 15:59:01 GMT
- The Russian rouble falls to a record low against the dollar as investors fear further sanctions against the nation.
- India's growth hits two year high Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:52:51 GMT
- India's economy grew by 5.7% in the three months to June, its fastest pace in two-and-a-half years, according to an official estimate.
- Google trials drone deliveries Thu, 28 Aug 2014 22:00:23 GMT
- Google reveals it has built and tested its own drones as part of a plan to make automated deliveries to remote homes as well as disaster-hit zones.
- 2.6m historic pictures posted online Fri, 29 Aug 2014 08:18:35 GMT
- An academic is posting millions of historic photos and illustrations to Flickr where they can be searched and copied without charge.
- Australian actor Bill Kerr dies Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:44:06 GMT
- Australian actor Bill Kerr, "the boy from Wagga Wagga" who became one of Tony Hancock's radio sidekicks in the 1950s, dies in Perth at 92.
- Belafonte to receive honorary Oscar Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:26:52 GMT
- US actor and singer Harry Belafonte is to be honoured by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences.
- Legal challenge to badger cull fails Fri, 29 Aug 2014 10:29:47 GMT
- A High Court bid to halt this year's badger culling, which will take place without independent monitoring, fails.
- Scientists solve 'sliding rocks' puzzle Fri, 29 Aug 2014 15:26:31 GMT
- Scientists have finally worked out how rocks on a dry lake bed in California move across the ground.