"There is a difference between a book of two hundred pages from the very beginning, and a book of two hundred pages which is the result of an original eight hundred pages. The six hundred are there. Only you don't see them."
—Elie(zer) Wiesel (b. 1928) Romanian-born writer, lecturer, survivor Nazi camps, Nobel
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Thu, 28 Aug 2014 09:39:20 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: 'White space' internet developed Wed, 27 Aug 2014 23:18:01 GMT
- David Grossman reports from the Isle of Wight, on the "white space" which could help remote areas access fast broadband.
- VIDEO: Banksy art sale saves Bristol boys' club Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:40:56 GMT
- The elusive street artist Banksy has helped save a boys club in his home city of Bristol.
- VIDEO: Eighty years married and still in love Wed, 27 Aug 2014 12:12:14 GMT
- A couple who met in 1928 are celebrating their 80th wedding anniversary today and tell the BBC why they're still in love.
- VIDEO: Cheryl and Cowell back to take on Strictly Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:30:18 GMT
- The new series of the X Factor is back on television screens from Saturday. Colin Paterson looks at the new judging line-up and the future of the show
- VIDEO: Close shave for Shaun the sheep Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:31:50 GMT
- A sheep called Shaun has been shorn for the first time in his life and his fleece has weighed in at a huge 23 kilograms.
- Hello Kitty is not actually a cat Thu, 28 Aug 2014 06:46:53 GMT
- Yes, you read that right, Hello Kitty is not a cat - she's a British school kid who likes apple pie, say her creators.
- Malaysia Airlines expects more losses Thu, 28 Aug 2014 13:30:14 GMT
- Malaysia Airlines says the full financial impact of the two tragedies to hit the company will be seen in the second half of the year.
- EU widens aid to dairy exporters Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:46:22 GMT
- The EU announces emergency help for dairy producers hit by the Russian ban on food imports from the EU.
- 'Fashionable' smartwatches announced Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:51:08 GMT
- South Korean tech firms LG and Samsung have announced more smartwatches, ahead of a widely anticipated entry to the sector from Apple.
- Call for Facebook beheadings rethink Wed, 27 Aug 2014 12:52:16 GMT
- Controversial beheading photo posts from Syria spur one of Facebook's safety advisers to call for pictures to have warnings.
- US film-maker William Greaves dies Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:45:42 GMT
- The US film-maker and Emmy-winning journalist, William Greaves, has died in New York at the age of 87.
- Bake Off contestant 'stitched up' Thu, 28 Aug 2014 13:13:08 GMT
- The Great British Bake Off contestant blamed by some for another's exit claims to have been "stitched up" by the way the BBC One programme was edited.
- Memories 'flipped' from bad to good Wed, 27 Aug 2014 19:09:02 GMT
- Neuroscientists artificially turn a mouse's fearful memory into a positive one, and vice versa.
- Ebola vaccine to be tested in UK Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:18:24 GMT
- A trial vaccine against Ebola could be tested on healthy volunteers in the UK in September, says an international health consortium.