"All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned--the biggest word of all--look."
—Robert (L.) Fulghum (b. 1937) American writer, author
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sat, 30 Aug 2014 12:07:10 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Pickleball: A sport for all ages Sat, 30 Aug 2014 10:20:22 GMT
- Pickleball is a racquet sport that combines badminton, tennis and table tennis.
- VIDEO: Buried gold sparks treasure hunt Thu, 28 Aug 2014 19:43:37 GMT
- Hundreds of people have descended on Folkestone beach in a bid to get their hands on a share of buried gold worth £10,000.
- VIDEO: Brad and Angelina marry in France Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:49:55 GMT
- Hollywood stars Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have married in France, a spokesman confirms.
- VIDEO: Litter bug mountaineers 'must recycle' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 23:01:55 GMT
- Over the decades tonnes of disposed tents, spent oxygen cylinders and bottles have been left behind on Mount Everest by people trying to scale it. Now authorities are urging them to bring the waste back down with them to recycle it.
- MSN Messenger to end after 15 years Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:48:01 GMT
- Microsoft's MSN Messenger will be switched off in China in October, bringing a final end to the 15-year-old service.
- Dahl draft spills Factory secrets Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:40:33 GMT
- Little-known characters and incidents that could have featured in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are released by the Roald Dahl estate.
- Russian rouble falls to new low Fri, 29 Aug 2014 15:59:01 GMT
- The Russian rouble falls to a record low against the dollar as investors fear further sanctions against the nation.
- Brazil's economy enters recession Fri, 29 Aug 2014 13:54:17 GMT
- A contraction of 0.6% in Brazil's economy between April and June, and a revision of the first quarter, has pushed the country into recession, latest figures show.
- Google trials drone deliveries Thu, 28 Aug 2014 22:00:23 GMT
- Google reveals it has built and tested its own drones as part of a plan to make automated deliveries to remote homes as well as disaster-hit zones.
- 2.6m historic pictures posted online Fri, 29 Aug 2014 08:18:35 GMT
- An academic is posting millions of historic photos and illustrations to Flickr where they can be searched and copied without charge.
- Australian actor Bill Kerr dies Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:44:06 GMT
- Australian actor Bill Kerr, "the boy from Wagga Wagga" who became one of Tony Hancock's radio sidekicks in the 1950s, dies in Perth at 92.
- Belafonte to receive honorary Oscar Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:26:52 GMT
- US actor and singer Harry Belafonte is to be honoured by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences.
- Legal challenge to badger cull fails Fri, 29 Aug 2014 10:29:47 GMT
- A High Court bid to halt this year's badger culling, which will take place without independent monitoring, fails.
- Scientists solve 'sliding rocks' puzzle Fri, 29 Aug 2014 15:26:31 GMT
- Scientists have finally worked out how rocks on a dry lake bed in California move across the ground.