"There is divine beauty in learning, just as there is human beauty in tolerance. To learn means to accept the postulate that life did not begin at my birth. Others have been here before me, and I walk in their footsteps. The books I have read were composed by generations of fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, teachers and disciples. I am the sum total of their experiences, their quests. And so are you."
—Elie(zer) Wiesel (b. 1928) Romanian-born writer, lecturer, survivor Nazi camps, Nobel
- US strikes Islamic State in Syria Tue, 23 Sep 2014 05:59:47 GMT
- The US and other nations, including Arab states, begin air strikes against Islamic State militant targets in Syria, the Pentagon says.
- Algeria militants seize French man Mon, 22 Sep 2014 23:28:01 GMT
- Militants linked to Islamic State have seized a French man in Algeria and demanded an end to French air strikes in Iraq, France confirms.
- Uighur academic jailed for life Tue, 23 Sep 2014 06:16:51 GMT
- A court in China has found prominent Uighur scholar Ilham Tohti guilty of separatism and jailed him for life, his lawyer says.
- White House intruder had ammo in car Mon, 22 Sep 2014 21:50:12 GMT
- The man who broke into the White House on Friday had 800 rounds of ammunition, a machete and two hatchets in his car, officials say.
- Students to protest in HK centre Tue, 23 Sep 2014 04:44:25 GMT
- Thousands of Hong Kong students are to gather in a park in front of government offices, on the second day of a week-long protest.
- US crackdown on overseas tax deals Mon, 22 Sep 2014 23:01:21 GMT
- The White House announces new treasury department measures aimed at stopping companies avoiding US taxes by merging with overseas firms.
- Floods hit north-east India states Tue, 23 Sep 2014 04:21:38 GMT
- People in India's north-east are told to move to higher ground as heavy monsoon rains triggers floods and landslides, killing at least 10 people.
- China exporting 'tools of torture' Tue, 23 Sep 2014 05:06:56 GMT
- A growing number of Chinese companies are exporting "tools of torture" such as electric shock batons and spiked metal batons, Amnesty says.
- Fireworks blast at China factory Tue, 23 Sep 2014 05:26:07 GMT
- An explosion at a fireworks factory in China has killed at least 12 people and injured 33 others, local government officials say.
- Rockefellers to divest fossil fuels Tue, 23 Sep 2014 01:21:57 GMT
- The Rockefeller family, which made its fortune from oil, is to sell its investments in fossil fuels and put money into clean energy.
- US student killed by black bear Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:49:53 GMT
- A New Jersey university student was killed after being mauled by a black bear, in what official called an extremely rare attack on a human.
- AUDIO: Pink Floyd unveil new album cover Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:13:06 GMT
- As the artwork for the new Pink Floyd album is unveiled, the band's creative director Aubrey Po speaks to BBC 6 Music about finding the right cover.
- VIDEO: Potter star launches equality campaign Mon, 22 Sep 2014 14:27:02 GMT
- Actress Emma Watson launches a global UN campaign to get 100,000 men and boys involved in the fight to achieve gender equality.
- VIDEO: Ghani on becoming Afghan president Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:28:59 GMT
- Ashraf Ghani has said people in Afghanistan "demonstrated a remarkable will for wanting transformation" during this election.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Tue, 23 Sep 2014 05:42:24 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.