"Whenever you read a good book, it's like the author is right there, in the room, talking to you, which is why I don't like to read good books."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Burkina Faso's president resigns Fri, 31 Oct 2014 15:00:07 GMT
- Burkina Faso's President Blaise Compaore resigns following violent protests, with army chief Honore Traore taking over as head of state.
- UN chief defends Ebola aid workers Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:31:17 GMT
- UN chief Ban Ki-moon says discrimination against humanitarian workers who return home from the Ebola crisis in West Africa is "unacceptable".
- China makes 'biggest cash haul' Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:53:19 GMT
- Anti-corruption investigators in China confirm the finding of the equivalent of $33m in cash at an official's home - the biggest such haul to date.
- Lawsuit over Malaysia missing plane Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:40:12 GMT
- Two children whose father was on Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 which disappeared file a lawsuit against the airline and Malaysia's government.
- Key Jerusalem holy site reopens Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:56:12 GMT
- Israel reopens a key Jerusalem holy site after its temporary closure following the shooting of a prominent Jewish activist.
- IPCC debates 'most important' report Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:34:14 GMT
- Scientists and government officials are meeting in Copenhagen to edit a report on the causes, impact and solutions to global warming.
- Deadly blast at Nigeria bus station Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:02:38 GMT
- An explosion at a major bus station in Gombe state in north-eastern Nigeria kills at least four people and injures 32 people, police say.
- Hungary scraps controversial web tax Fri, 31 Oct 2014 12:57:00 GMT
- Hungary shelves a proposed tax on internet data traffic after tens of thousands of Hungarians marched against it.
- Myanmar in rare multi-party talks Fri, 31 Oct 2014 15:06:15 GMT
- Myanmar's president holds rare roundtable talks with the opposition, military and ethnic groups, as the US calls for "credible" elections next year.
- BOJ boosts monetary stimulus measure Fri, 31 Oct 2014 10:34:29 GMT
- Japan's central bank, the Bank of Japan, surprises markets by announcing an expansion of its monetary stimulus policy.
- Harris loses conviction appeal bid Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:38:29 GMT
- Entertainer Rolf Harris loses the first round of a legal challenge against his conviction for indecent assaults.
- US police killing suspect captured Fri, 31 Oct 2014 10:26:50 GMT
- A US man who has eluded police in the forests of Pennsylvania for seven weeks after the fatal shooting of a police officer has been found.
- VIDEO: Baby pandas wrestle with their keeper Fri, 31 Oct 2014 12:23:55 GMT
- A breeder in China's Chendgu province was trying to give these two baby pandas medicine instead of their usual bamboo leaves- and they were having none of it.
- VIDEO: Lab for world’s worst animal viruses Fri, 31 Oct 2014 00:10:15 GMT
- A look around a new lab at Pirbright Institute in Surrey, where the world’s most contagious livestock viruses will be kept.
- VIDEO: Prototype flying car shown off Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:18:17 GMT
- BBC Click looks at some of the week's technology highlights, including a flying car and electric rollerskates.