"A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it."
—Edward P. Morgan
- IS accused of Iraq ethnic cleansing Tue, 02 Sep 2014 06:22:46 GMT
- Amnesty International says it has proof Islamic State militants have launched a campaign of ethnic cleansing against minorities in northern Iraq.
- VIDEO: Iraq grannies 'take on IS in Amerli’ Mon, 01 Sep 2014 21:52:25 GMT
- Residents and fighters in Amerli are celebrating the end of a two-month siege and the withdrawal of IS militants from around the town.
- Ukraine in 'great war' with Russia Tue, 02 Sep 2014 06:07:53 GMT
- Russia has launched a 'great war' that could claim tens of thousands of lives, Ukraine's defence ministry warns amid a rebel offensive.
- FBI probes 'Cloud' celebrity leaks Tue, 02 Sep 2014 01:38:25 GMT
- The FBI looks into allegations that the online accounts of celebrities have been hacked, leading to intimate pictures being posted online.
- Boris Island airport plan rejected Tue, 02 Sep 2014 07:01:44 GMT
- A plan for an island airport in the Thames Estuary, dubbed "Boris Island", is rejected by the commission looking into the UK's airport needs.
- Falcao caps record summer spending Tue, 02 Sep 2014 02:22:59 GMT
- Radamel Falcao's loan move to Manchester United was the major deadline day signing as summer spending hits a record £835m.
- US attacks al-Shabab in Somalia Tue, 02 Sep 2014 07:19:25 GMT
- The US military says it carried out a military operation against al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabab militants in Somalia.
- British activist in Thailand trial Tue, 02 Sep 2014 06:25:54 GMT
- A British activist who campaigns for better labour conditions is on trial in Thailand charged with criminal defamation.
- US works to free trio in N Korea Tue, 02 Sep 2014 02:50:51 GMT
- The White House says securing the release of three American citizens detained in North Korea is a "top priority", after they appealed for help.
- Pakistan MPs hold emergency session Mon, 01 Sep 2014 23:52:04 GMT
- A joint session of parliament is to be held in Pakistan as PM Nawaz Sharif seeks to gain support against protesters calling for his resignation.
- Japan tackles dengue fever outbreak Tue, 02 Sep 2014 05:47:04 GMT
- Japan is battling its first outbreak of dengue fever in almost 70 years, with at least 22 people confirmed as being infected.
- China accuses MPs of 'interference' Mon, 01 Sep 2014 22:38:45 GMT
- Chinese authorities accuse British MPs of interfering in Hong Kong's affairs by investigating tensions there, BBC Newsnight learns.
- Spain returns Colombian treasure Mon, 01 Sep 2014 23:08:27 GMT
- Spain returns to Colombia hundreds of indigenous artefacts that were seized from drug gangs in 2003, but later smuggled out of the country.
- VIDEO: Footage of powerful solar flares Mon, 01 Sep 2014 01:44:43 GMT
- The US Space Agency Nasa has released new footage showing a series of powerful solar flares.
- VIDEO: Uganda's Ghetto Kids: 'Dance changed my life' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 07:03:04 GMT
- Children in Uganda working in a pioneering dance group, Ghetto Kids, have been describing how it has changed their lives for the better.