"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it."
—Julius Henry Marx (1890-1977) [Groucho] American comedian, actor, Horse Feathers, Duck Soup
- Algeria militants seize French man Mon, 22 Sep 2014 23:28:01 GMT
- Militants linked to Islamic State have seized a French man in Algeria and demanded an end to French air strikes in Iraq, France confirms.
- White House intruder had ammo in car Mon, 22 Sep 2014 21:50:12 GMT
- The man who broke into the White House on Friday had 800 rounds of ammunition, a machete and two hatchets in his car, officials say.
- Rockefellers to divest fossil fuels Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:26:15 GMT
- The Rockefeller family, which made its fortune from oil, is to sell its investments in fossil fuels and put money into clean energy.
- UN plea over Turkey refugee crisis Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:12:54 GMT
- The UN says Turkey urgently needs help to care for 130,000 Syrian refugees who have crossed the border fleeing Islamist militants.
- Top Israeli spy Harari dies Mon, 22 Sep 2014 14:00:05 GMT
- Mike Harari, the Mossad agent who oversaw a string of Israeli operations involving the assassination of Palestinian militants abroad, has died, aged 87.
- Sierra Leone hails Ebola lockdown Mon, 22 Sep 2014 18:11:02 GMT
- Authorities in Sierra Leone say a three-day curfew aimed at containing the Ebola outbreak has been a success and will not be extended.
- Tesco probe into £250m profit error Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:54:51 GMT
- Tesco suspends "a number of people", including four executives, as it launches an inquiry into why its half-year profit forecast was overstated by $400m.
- US student killed by black bear Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:49:53 GMT
- A New Jersey university student was killed after being mauled by a black bear, in what official called an extremely rare attack on a human.
- Ukraine to pull back artillery Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:01:32 GMT
- Ukraine is preparing to withdraw heavy weaponry away from separatist rebel lines in the east, the military says.
- Ghani praises Afghan vote deal Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:41:31 GMT
- Afghanistan's President-elect Ashraf Ghani hails the "first democratic transfer of power" as a "big victory" that may secure peace.
- Thousands of HK students at boycott Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:09:07 GMT
- Hong Kong students begin a week-long boycott of classes to protest against China's stance on electoral reform in the territory.
- Mars Maven mission arrives in orbit Mon, 22 Sep 2014 02:32:34 GMT
- The US space agency's (Nasa) latest Mars satellite arrives successfully in orbit above the planet, in a mission to study its high atmosphere.
- AUDIO: Pink Floyd unveil new album cover Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:13:06 GMT
- As the artwork for the new Pink Floyd album is unveiled, the band's creative director Aubrey Po speaks to BBC 6 Music about finding the right cover.
- VIDEO: Potter star launches equality campaign Mon, 22 Sep 2014 14:27:02 GMT
- Actress Emma Watson launches a global UN campaign to get 100,000 men and boys involved in the fight to achieve gender equality.
- VIDEO: Ghani on becoming Afghan president Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:28:59 GMT
- Ashraf Ghani has said people in Afghanistan "demonstrated a remarkable will for wanting transformation" during this election.