"There is divine beauty in learning, just as there is human beauty in tolerance. To learn means to accept the postulate that life did not begin at my birth. Others have been here before me, and I walk in their footsteps. The books I have read were composed by generations of fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, teachers and disciples. I am the sum total of their experiences, their quests. And so are you."
—Elie(zer) Wiesel (b. 1928) Romanian-born writer, lecturer, survivor Nazi camps, Nobel
- UK hostage's wife in appeal to IS Sun, 21 Sep 2014 00:00:26 GMT
- The wife of a British taxi driver being held hostage by Islamic State appeals to the militants to "see it in their hearts" to release him.
- Nato: Ukraine truce 'in name only' Sun, 21 Sep 2014 01:12:52 GMT
- A two-week-old ceasefire between Ukraine and pro-Russia separatists in the east is a truce "in name only", says Nato top commander Philip Breedlove.
- Salmond: 'No' voters were 'tricked' Sat, 20 Sep 2014 23:20:41 GMT
- Scotland's first minister says "No" voters in last week's independence referendum were "tricked" by UK politicians' late vow of more devolved powers.
- Afghan contenders in election deal Sun, 21 Sep 2014 04:33:38 GMT
- Afghan presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah says his rival Ashraf Ghani should become leader, as they prepare to announce a power-sharing deal.
- UN chief on streets for climate deal Sun, 21 Sep 2014 01:38:56 GMT
- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon will take part in a protest march this weekend to highlight global inaction on climate change.
- 66,000 Syrians 'flee to Turkey' Sat, 20 Sep 2014 22:21:45 GMT
- Turkey says at least 66,000 Syrians have crossed the border in 24 hours, as the UN warns hundreds of thousands more may flee an Islamic State advance.
- Boko Haram 'kills dozens' at market Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:49:35 GMT
- Islamist militants from Boko Haram attack a rural market in the Nigerian state of Borno, killing dozens, security officials and witnesses say.
- Yemen agrees truce with Houthis - UN Sat, 20 Sep 2014 21:00:04 GMT
- Yemen's government agrees a truce with Shia Houthi fighters, a UN envoy says, after a week of deadly clashes in the capital Sanaa.
- UK and France agree Calais measures Sat, 20 Sep 2014 17:04:37 GMT
- The UK government is to provide £12m to help France tackle the problem of illegal immigrants trying to enter Britain from Calais.
- Paratroops mark Arnhem WW2 battle Sat, 20 Sep 2014 15:26:34 GMT
- Paratroops from Europe and the US are staging parachute jumps in the Netherlands to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Arnhem.
- Blast hits Hezbollah checkpoint Sat, 20 Sep 2014 21:40:32 GMT
- A suicide blast has targeted a checkpoint manned by the Shia Hezbollah group in eastern Lebanon, killing three people, state media says.
- Philippines storm displaces 200,000 Sat, 20 Sep 2014 16:34:20 GMT
- Tropical storm Fung-Wong brings flooding, heavy rains and high winds to the Philippines, forcing some 200,000 people from their homes.
- Tipsy Australian 'repels' crocodile Sat, 20 Sep 2014 09:08:55 GMT
- An Australian hunter says he fought off a crocodile by poking the reptile in the eye, admitting he was tipsy during the attack.
- VIDEO: River dwellers fear for their future Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:01:05 GMT
- A government immigration census in Cambodia has members of the ethnic Vietnamese community living on the Tonlé Sap river fearing for their future.
- VIDEO: Metal ballet meets Games of Thrones Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:01:02 GMT
- Brutal Ballet performed a Games of Thrones inspired piece at TitanCon, a science fiction and fantasy convention in Belfast.