"All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value."
—Carl Sagan (b. 1934) American astronomer noted for research for extraterrestrial life
- Million 'have fled Ukraine conflict' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:03:50 GMT
- The number of people who have fled the fighting in Ukraine has doubled in weeks, and the UN says more than a million have now been displaced.
- Afghan militants 'may join IS' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:15:49 GMT
- Fighters from a militant Islamic group in Afghanistan, allied to the Taliban, tell the BBC they are considering joining forces with Islamic State.
- Ashya situation not right - police Tue, 02 Sep 2014 15:11:40 GMT
- UK prosecutors seek to withdraw the arrest warrant that enabled Spanish police to hold the parents who took their ill son from a British hospital.
- US 'targets al-Shabab's leader' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:23:48 GMT
- The US military carries out air strikes in Somalia, reportedly targeting the leader of militant group al-Shabab, though it is unclear if he was hit.
- FM: Independence 'closer than ever' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:12:37 GMT
- Scottish independence is "closer than it's ever been" claims First Minister Alex Salmond, as an opinion poll suggests gains for the Yes campaign.
- Terror suspects held in Saudi Arabia Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:38:56 GMT
- Saudi Arabia's interior ministry says it has arrested 88 people suspected of plotting attacks inside and outside the country.
- FBI probes 'Cloud' celebrity leaks Tue, 02 Sep 2014 09:09:12 GMT
- The FBI looks into allegations that the online accounts of celebrities have been hacked, leading to intimate pictures being posted online.
- Ebola 'threatens W Africa harvests' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 15:08:28 GMT
- The deadly Ebola outbreak is putting food prices and harvests in West Africa "at serious risk", warns the UN's Food and Agriculture Organisation.
- Nigeria militants 'seize' major town Tue, 02 Sep 2014 12:15:04 GMT
- Nigeria's militant Islamist group Boko Haram seizes the key north-eastern town of Bama after fighting with government forces, residents tell the BBC.
- Ecuador volcano increases activity Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:23:18 GMT
- A massive ash cloud is rising from the Tungurahua volcano in Ecuador as it shows increased activity with a series of explosions on Monday.
- Dethroned beauty queen seeks apology Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:54:52 GMT
- A dethroned Burmese beauty queen is refusing to hand back her crown until she receives an apology from South Korean organisers.
- Mass escape from juvenile US prison Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:18:57 GMT
- More than 30 teenagers held at a juvenile detention centre in Tennessee escape by crawling through a fence and 17 are still being sought.
- Chris Brown pleads guilty over punch Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:29:16 GMT
- Rapper Chris Brown admits punching a man in October last year but walks free from court because of time already served.
- VIDEO: Uganda's Ghetto Kids: 'Dance changed my life' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 07:03:04 GMT
- Children in Uganda working in a pioneering dance group, Ghetto Kids, have been describing how it has changed their lives for the better.
- VIDEO: Beauty queen refuses to return crown Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:13:28 GMT
- Myanmar's first ever beauty queen has refused to give back her $100,000 (£60,300) crown after being dethroned.