"Those who decide to use leisure as a means of mental development, who love good music, good books, good pictures, good plays, good company, good conversation -- what are they? They are the happiest people in the world."
—William Lyon Phelps
- Asian states search for missing jet Sat, 08 Mar 2014 16:18:09 GMT
- Asian nations join forces to search for a missing Malaysia Airlines jet carrying 239 people, with Vietnamese spotting potential oil slicks.
- Shots as Crimea observers stopped Sat, 08 Mar 2014 17:50:54 GMT
- Warning shots are fired as international observers are turned back from entering Crimea where pro-Russian forces have tightened their grip.
- Ukraine beat Russia to biathlon gold Sat, 08 Mar 2014 12:41:28 GMT
- Vitaliy Lukyanenko wins Ukraine's first gold at the Sochi Winter Paralympics, in the men's 7.5km visually impaired biathlon.
- Libya rebels load N Korea oil tanker Sat, 08 Mar 2014 16:29:05 GMT
- Rebels who seized oil ports in eastern Libya say they have loaded oil on to a North Korean-flagged tanker.
- Turkish ex-military chief freed Fri, 07 Mar 2014 23:52:32 GMT
- Turkey's former army chief Ilker Basbug is released from prison in Istanbul after a local court overturns his conviction for plotting a coup.
- Kenyan president takes pay cut Fri, 07 Mar 2014 23:57:34 GMT
- Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta announces that he and his cabinet will take pay cuts to help reduce the government's ballooning wage bill.
- US general faces assault accuser Sat, 08 Mar 2014 02:49:26 GMT
- A US Army captain weeps as she tells a court that a general made her perform oral sex on him and threatened to kill her family if she told anyone.
- VIDEO: On board a $300m superyacht Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:16:12 GMT
- Nima Abu Wardeh takes a tour of the most expensive superyacht currently on the market.
- VIDEO: 'Electronic lollipop' simulates taste Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:09:20 GMT
- Scientists at City University, London have developed a machine that they say is able to simulate taste.
- VIDEO: Rubbish piles up on Rio streets Fri, 07 Mar 2014 22:14:20 GMT
- Rio Carnival officially ended on Wednesday but piles of rubbish left on the city's streets are still waiting be collected.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sat, 08 Mar 2014 17:39:05 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Tension in Caracas as clashes continue Sat, 08 Mar 2014 09:10:41 GMT
- Clashes have broken out again on the streets of the Venezuelan capital, Caracas.
- VIDEO: Composer admits lying about deafness Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:02:07 GMT
- Mamoru Samuragochi, one of Japan's most famous composers, officially apologises for pretending to be deaf. He was exposed last month by a music teacher, who also claimed that he wrote all of his music for him in secret for 18 years.
- VIDEO: 'Marry me!' Harry heckled at Wembley Fri, 07 Mar 2014 16:38:11 GMT
- Prince Harry has taken to the stage at Wembley Arena to address 12,000 young people taking part in the first We Day UK.
- VIDEO: 'I have nothing to do with Bitcoin' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:27:07 GMT
- Controversy is surrounding claims by Newsweek to have found the creator of the Bitcoin virtual currency.