"It does not matter how many books you have, but how good the books are which you have."
—Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC?-AD 65) [The Younger] Roman Stoic philosopher, writer, tutor
- Burkina Faso leader 'to stay on' Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:58:48 GMT
- Burkina Faso's President Blaise Compaore says he will stay in power for a year under a transitional government, despite violent protests.
- Russia-Ukraine deals secures EU gas Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:08:33 GMT
- Russia will resume gas deliveries to Ukraine this winter in a deal brokered by the European Union, which will also safeguard supplies to EU countries.
- Charity warns US on Ebola quarantine Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:51:34 GMT
- Charity Doctors Without Borders warns some mandatory US state Ebola quarantine measures are having a "chilling effect" on its work.
- Key Jerusalem holy site 'to reopen' Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:47:43 GMT
- Israel promises to reopen a key Jerusalem holy site after closing it following the shooting of a Jewish activist.
- Myanmar in rare multi-party talks Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:20:20 GMT
- Myanmar's president is holding rare roundtable talks with the opposition, military and ethnic groups, as the US calls for "credible" elections next year.
- US police killing suspect captured Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:55:13 GMT
- A US man who has eluded police in the forests of Pennsylvania for seven weeks after the fatal shooting of a police officer has been found.
- IPCC debates 'most important' report Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:34:14 GMT
- Scientists and government officials are meeting in Copenhagen to edit a report on the causes, impact and solutions to global warming.
- Nikkei leads Asia up after BOJ move Fri, 31 Oct 2014 06:53:22 GMT
- Japan led Asian shares higher after the Bank of Japan (BOJ) surprised markets by announcing more stimulus measures to boost the economy.
- Four dead in Kansas airport crash Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:45:27 GMT
- At least four people were killed and five injured when a small plane crashed into an airport building in Wichita, Kansas, officials say.
- Australia ends sanctions on Fiji Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:23:14 GMT
- Foreign Minister Julie Bishop says she is committed to "normalising" relations between Australia and Fiji after the nation's elections last month.
- Iraqi Kurd fighters 'enter Kobane' Thu, 30 Oct 2014 18:59:52 GMT
- An advance party of 10 Iraqi Kurd fighters have entered the Syrian border town of Kobane to join the battle against Islamic State militants, activists say.
- Evacuations amid Costa Rica eruption Thu, 30 Oct 2014 22:29:20 GMT
- Costa Rica issues an alert and evacuates communities after ash from the Turrialba volcano reaches the capital, San Jose, and beyond.
- VIDEO: Stars glow at Interstellar premiere Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:22:09 GMT
- The stars of Christopher Nolan's much-anticipated Interstellar praise its "ambition" at the film's European premiere.
- VIDEO: On the buses with Prince Harry Thu, 30 Oct 2014 19:01:46 GMT
- Prince Harry meets supporters of the British Legion's London Poppy Day Appeal at Buckingham Palace.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 31 Oct 2014 05:40:01 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.