"I do not mean to suggest that our handsome, newly enlarged library is to be a headquarters of busy bookworms, old and young, routinely absorbing knowledge by the hour while birds sing outside and the Mets fight it out for last place in the National League. On the contrary, a good library is a joyful place where the imagination roams free, and life is actively enriched."
—John K. Hutchens
- Man dead in suspected terror attack Wed, 22 May 2013 19:30:43 GMT
- A man is killed in a machete attack and two men are shot by police in London in what UK government sources say is a suspected terror incident.
- Boston bomb investigators kill man Wed, 22 May 2013 18:55:02 GMT
- A Florida man was shot and killed as he became violent while being questioned by Boston bombing investigators, FBI officials say.
- US mayor to push tornado shelter law Wed, 22 May 2013 18:23:29 GMT
- The mayor of the tornado-devastated town of Moore in Oklahoma vows to push for a new law on shelters, after Monday's deadly twister.
- EU in drive against tax evasion Wed, 22 May 2013 17:32:37 GMT
- EU leaders say they are committed to tackling tax evasion and will push for global action to curb banking secrecy.
- Ai Weiwei song rages against state Wed, 22 May 2013 15:48:30 GMT
- Chinese artist Ai Weiwei releases a foul-mouthed music video in which he recreates his detention and rages against abuses of state power.
- Ethiopian awarded anti-FGM prize Wed, 22 May 2013 16:07:49 GMT
- Ethiopian activist Bogaletch Gebre wins an international prize for her campaign to eradicate female genital mutilation (FGM).
- Costa Concordia charges announced Wed, 22 May 2013 14:59:10 GMT
- The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise liner which ran aground off Italy will face trial on 9 July on multiple manslaughter charges, a judge rules.
- Kerry condemns Hezbollah over Syria Wed, 22 May 2013 17:22:43 GMT
- US Secretary of State John Kerry says Lebanon's Hezbollah and Iran are perpetuating President Bashar al-Assad's "campaign of terror" in Syria.
- Bernanke hails benefits of stimulus Wed, 22 May 2013 19:23:54 GMT
- US Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke tells Congress that it is too soon to end the central bank's monetary stimulus programme or raise interest rates.
- Gunmen kill 12 in Baghdad brothel Wed, 22 May 2013 13:47:57 GMT
- Gunmen burst into a brothel in eastern Baghdad, killing seven women and five men, in the latest violence in a week of bloodshed in Iraq.
- Icelanders to vote on EU membership Wed, 22 May 2013 15:02:15 GMT
- The new government of Iceland calls off talks with Brussels on EU membership and promises a referendum to give Icelanders their say.
- Shamed congressman runs for NY mayor Wed, 22 May 2013 15:40:52 GMT
- A former congressman who resigned in disgrace in 2011 over his racy Twitter messages has announced he will run for mayor of New York City.
- VIDEO: An orchestra walks into a bar... Tue, 21 May 2013 23:06:36 GMT
- The Cleveland Orchestra realised long ago that it needed to attract new customers in order to survive.
- Venezuela ends toilet paper shortage Wed, 22 May 2013 10:21:32 GMT
- Venezuela's National Assembly backs plans to import 39 million rolls of toilet paper, in an effort to relieve a chronic shortage.
- VIDEO: South Africa's growing prosperity Wed, 22 May 2013 06:21:23 GMT
- Andrew Harding looks at an example of economic change at a shopping mall in the township of Alexandra.