"It is books that are a key to the wide world; if you can't do anything else, read all that you can."
- Abuse scandal force faces inquiry Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:35:40 GMT
- South Yorkshire Police commissions an independent investigation into its handling of the Rotherham child abuse scandal, while Labour suspends four members in the town.
- Boris Island airport plan 'not dead' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 08:20:55 GMT
- Mayor of London Boris Johnson says plans for an airport in the Thames Estuary, dubbed "Boris Island", are not dead despite a commission looking into the UK's airport needs rejecting the idea.
- Clacton by-election set for October Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:26:50 GMT
- The Clacton by-election, triggered by Douglas Carswell's defection to UKIP, is to be held on 9 October, the Conservative Party says.
- Day in pictures: 1 September 2014 Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:49:04 GMT
- News images from around the world: 1 September
- British Wildlife Photography Awards Mon, 01 Sep 2014 12:23:58 GMT
- Winners of the 2014 British Wildlife Photography Awards
- In pictures: India's coal miners Sun, 31 Aug 2014 20:34:57 GMT
- Coal miners a work in eastern India
- Day in pictures: 29 August 2014 Fri, 29 Aug 2014 14:20:50 GMT
- News images from around the world: 29 August
- Day in pictures: 28 August 2014 Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:13:22 GMT
- News images from around the world: 28 August
- New Documentary Photography from Scotland & Wales Wed, 27 Aug 2014 07:17:12 GMT
- Photographers' images of Scotland and Wales
- Day in pictures: 27 August 2014 Wed, 27 Aug 2014 14:19:24 GMT
- News images from around the world: 27 August
- Richard Attenborough career in pictures Sun, 24 Aug 2014 22:36:55 GMT
- British actor and director's illustrious career
- Why Paris is forgetting Ernest Hemingway Tue, 02 Sep 2014 00:04:29 GMT
- Why Paris is forgetting Ernest Hemingway
- How much has the ice bucket challenge achieved? Tue, 02 Sep 2014 01:31:21 GMT
- How much has the Ice Bucket Challenge achieved?
- Have some football clubs overpaid for players? Tue, 02 Sep 2014 09:31:52 GMT
- Have some football clubs overpaid for their new players?
- Does limiting the power of appliances save energy? Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:20:38 GMT
- Would banning high-power appliances actually save energy?