"It may not seem like much, but think of the consequences. One overdue library book today, the collapse of the universe by the end of the week."
- Tomatoes linked with fighting cancer Wed, 27 Aug 2014 17:03:56 GMT
- Eating tomatoes may lower the risk of prostate cancer, research suggests.
- Hormone 'protects premature babies' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:01:09 GMT
- The hormone erythropoietin (EPO) could prevent brain injuries in very premature babies, a study suggests.
- Arsenal 1-0 Besiktas Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:19:16 GMT
- Alexis Sanchez hits the only goal as 10-man Arsenal beat Besiktas to qualify for the Champions League group stage.
- India thrash England in second ODI Wed, 27 Aug 2014 18:10:46 GMT
- England lose by a crushing 133 runs in the second one-day international at Cardiff after Suresh Raina's superb century.
- The etiquette of reclining seats on flights Tue, 26 Aug 2014 23:11:32 GMT
- When is it acceptable to lean back at 30,000ft, asks Jon Kelly.
- The rehab centres that lock up addicts Tue, 26 Aug 2014 23:15:58 GMT
- In Guatemala City, thousands of addicts are offered treatment by churches - while Christianity offers salvation for some, many are held behind bars against their will.
- Mali to prosecute migrant parents Wed, 27 Aug 2014 18:12:36 GMT
- Mali says it intends to prosecute parents who send their underage children to Europe as migrants but needs Europe's co-operation to do so.
- Afghan election audit restarts Wed, 27 Aug 2014 16:57:58 GMT
- An audit of votes from Afghanistan's disputed presidential election restarts, but without observers from the camps of either candidate.
- Experts identify 173 MH17 victims Wed, 27 Aug 2014 15:00:27 GMT
- Forensics officers have so far identified 173 victims of flight MH17, shot down over Ukraine, but say the process is getting more difficult.
- Peru seizes cocaine hidden in coal Wed, 27 Aug 2014 14:23:29 GMT
- Peruvian police say they have found a stash a 3.3-tonnes stash of cocaine hidden in a consignment of coal that was bound for Europe.
- UN to act on Libya militia leaders Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:13:45 GMT
- The UN Security Council calls for an immediate ceasefire in Libya and sanctions against those involved in the recent surge in violence there.
- Cops crewmember killed by US police Wed, 27 Aug 2014 22:42:29 GMT
- A crew member on the US police reality TV show Cops is shot and killed when Nebraska police open fire on a robbery suspect.
- Wright quits Labour but not PCC role Wed, 27 Aug 2014 23:13:52 GMT
- Shaun Wright resigns from the Labour Party but refuses to quit his South Yorkshire police and crime commissioner role following a damning report into child abuse.
- Met chief backs 'new control orders' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 12:57:38 GMT
- Measures similar to control orders should be re-introduced to tackle the threat from Britons who fight with militants in Syria and Iraq, the UK's most senior police officer has said.
- Cancer drugs face NHS price squeeze Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:01:19 GMT
- The government might threaten to stop buying some expensive cancer drugs if the companies that make them do not cut their prices, Newsnight learns.