"There are men that will make you books, and turn them loose into the world, with as much dispatch as they would do a dish of fritters."
—Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616) Spanish writer
- Antibiotic 'link to child obesity' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 04:02:29 GMT
- A large American study suggests young children who are given repeated courses of antibiotics are more likely than those given fewer drugs to be obese.
- Liberia chief doctor in quarantine Sat, 27 Sep 2014 14:15:58 GMT
- Liberia's chief medical officer puts herself under quarantine for 21 days, after a colleague was killed by the deadly Ebola virus.
- Stoke City 1-0 Newcastle United Mon, 29 Sep 2014 22:15:29 GMT
- Peter Crouch scores the only goal as Stoke win 1-0 to leave Newcastle still without a Premier League league victory.
- Clarke rift will not sway McGinley Mon, 29 Sep 2014 15:16:54 GMT
- Paul McGinley says his relationship with Darren Clarke will not influence the appointment of Europe's next Ryder Cup captain.
- One people, 1,200 sausages Mon, 29 Sep 2014 00:18:46 GMT
- The history of Germany in beer and bratwurst.
- An electronic revolution in the doctor's bag Sun, 28 Sep 2014 00:32:00 GMT
- The rise of the stethoscope led doctors to touch their patients, its decline may lead to them talk more.
- Migrant deaths in Med pass 3,000 Mon, 29 Sep 2014 15:27:45 GMT
- The International Organization for Migration finds that a record 3,072 migrants have died crossing the Mediterranean so far this year.
- Modi meets Obama at White House Tue, 30 Sep 2014 04:26:22 GMT
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi meets US President Barack Obama at the White House over dinner, ahead of formal talks on Tuesday.
- Clash 'kills seven Ukraine troops' Mon, 29 Sep 2014 16:57:22 GMT
- Seven Ukraine soldiers reportedly die in a clash with pro-Russian rebels near Donetsk airport - the military's heaviest single loss since a truce.
- Brazil hotel hostage crisis ends Mon, 29 Sep 2014 20:48:39 GMT
- An apparently armed man who held a hotel employee hostage in Brazil's capital, Brasilia, surrenders to police after a seven-hour stand-off.
- Libya parliament rivals hold talks Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:43:45 GMT
- Representatives from rival factions in Libya's new parliament have held UN-brokered talks for the first time in the oasis town of Ghadames.
- Hannah suspect 'linked to 2009 case' Mon, 29 Sep 2014 20:12:06 GMT
- Police searching for missing student Hannah Graham say there is a forensic link between suspect Jesse Matthew and another unsolved murder case.
- PM vows seven-day GP access by 2020 Tue, 30 Sep 2014 03:37:58 GMT
- David Cameron is to tell the Conservative Party conference there will be more money to ensure seven-day GP access is rolled out across England by 2020.
- May: New extremism powers needed Tue, 30 Sep 2014 06:03:12 GMT
- Home Secretary Theresa May is to tell the Conservative Party conference a future Tory government will seek new powers to ban extremist groups.
- Annual house price growth 'slows' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 06:25:41 GMT
- The annual pace of house price growth slowed to 9.4% in September, according to the Nationwide.