"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book - I'll waste no time reading it."
—Moses Hadas (1900-66)
- NHS complaints rise to 480 every day Thu, 28 Aug 2014 09:38:05 GMT
- The number of complaints made about NHS care in England increased to an average of 480 every day, according to official data.
- Depression in cancer 'overlooked' Thu, 28 Aug 2014 00:36:20 GMT
- Three-quarters of cancer patients who are depressed are not getting the psychological therapy they need, researchers say.
- Alonso set for Bayern Munich medical Thu, 28 Aug 2014 09:34:33 GMT
- Bayern Munich are in talks to sign Xabi Alonso from Real Madrid and the midfielder is set to have a medical.
- Cook angry about Swann's criticism Wed, 27 Aug 2014 20:55:40 GMT
- Alastair Cook calls Graeme Swann a "so-called friend" after the ex-spinner said he should quit as England one-day captain.
- The parenting lessons to be taken from movies Wed, 27 Aug 2014 09:10:16 GMT
- It is 50 years since Mary Poppins appeared on cinema screens.
- The etiquette of reclining seats on flights Tue, 26 Aug 2014 23:11:32 GMT
- When is it acceptable to lean back at 30,000ft, asks Jon Kelly.
- 'Baby-trafficking' speaker flees Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:53:16 GMT
- The speaker of Niger's parliament flees the country after a parliamentary committee agreed he could be arrested over a baby-trafficking scandal.
- Thai ex-PM murder charge dismissed Thu, 28 Aug 2014 08:28:19 GMT
- A Thai court dismisses murder charges against former Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva linked to a bloody crackdown on protesters in 2010.
- France's jobless total rises again Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:01:03 GMT
- The number of people looking for work in France rises 0.8% in July, as PM Manuel Valls promises business leaders to speed up reform.
- Brazil pursues Amazon 'destroyers' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 22:52:52 GMT
- Brazilian police say they have dismantled a criminal organisation they believe was the "biggest destroyer" of the Amazon rainforest, committing crimes worth millions of dollars.
- Netanyahu declares 'victory' in Gaza Wed, 27 Aug 2014 20:29:17 GMT
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says the seven-week conflict in Gaza ended in "victory", a day after a ceasefire came into effect.
- US hostage mother makes video plea Wed, 27 Aug 2014 19:45:03 GMT
- The mother of US journalist Steven Sotloff, held hostage by IS militants, pleads with his captors to release him in a video appeal.
- Tory MP Carswell switches to UKIP Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:52:15 GMT
- Tory MP Douglas Carswell has defected to the UK Independence Party - and says he will seek re-election in Clacton at a by-election.
- 'Significant' rise in migration to UK Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:54:50 GMT
- There has been a "statistically significant" increase in net migration into the UK - which reached 243,000 in the year up to March, figures show.
- Wright quits Labour but not PCC role Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:06:04 GMT
- Shaun Wright resigns from the Labour Party but refuses to quit his South Yorkshire police and crime commissioner role following a damning report into child abuse.