"All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned--the biggest word of all--look."
—Robert (L.) Fulghum (b. 1937) American writer, author
- Plain packs 'no illegal smoking link' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:15:39 GMT
- A study of smokers in Australia suggests there is "no evidence" that the introduction of standardised cigarette packaging has changed the way people buy cigarettes.
- Everton 3-6 Chelsea Sat, 30 Aug 2014 19:05:48 GMT
- Diego Costa scores twice as Chelsea win a nine-goal thriller against Everton to keep up their 100% start to the season.
- India beat England to take 2-0 lead Sat, 30 Aug 2014 16:56:27 GMT
- India beat England by six wickets at Trent Bridge to take a 2-0 lead in the one-day series with two games left.
- The makeover that's divided a nation Sat, 30 Aug 2014 01:00:22 GMT
- Macedonia has embarked on a major revamp of its capital city, Skopje. But the changes have been controversial with some calling the makeover a "crime".
- The millionaires who rescue people at sea Thu, 28 Aug 2014 23:51:10 GMT
- A couple in Malta have launched what they say is the world's first privately funded boat to help migrants in trouble at sea.
- Senegal confirms first Ebola case Fri, 29 Aug 2014 20:28:21 GMT
- Senegal's health ministry confirms a first case of Ebola, making it the fifth West African country now affected by the outbreak.
- China warns of Hong Kong 'meddling' Sat, 30 Aug 2014 10:35:29 GMT
- China warns foreign countries against "meddling" in Hong Kong's politics ahead of a crucial announcement on the territory's election process.
- Italian and Pole get top EU jobs Sat, 30 Aug 2014 18:17:37 GMT
- EU leaders appoint Italy's Federica Mogherini as EU foreign policy chief and Poland's Donald Tusk as European Council President.
- Jews 'forced' from Guatemala village Sat, 30 Aug 2014 01:38:45 GMT
- Some 230 members of an Orthodox Jewish group begin leaving a village in western Guatemala after a bitter row with the local indigenous community.
- Egypt Brotherhood death sentence cut Sat, 30 Aug 2014 14:34:36 GMT
- The head of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood has one death sentence commuted to life in prison, but still faces another death penalty.
- Cold War US spy dies in prison Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:17:59 GMT
- A former US navy sailor who led a spy ring for the Soviet Union has died in a prison medical centre at the age of 77.
- Cameron welcomes EU chief's pledge Sun, 31 Aug 2014 01:41:18 GMT
- David Cameron welcomes a commitment by Donald Tusk, the new president of the European Council, to reach a deal with the UK on EU reform.
- 'Urgent' call for obesity taskforce Sun, 31 Aug 2014 02:14:46 GMT
- Doctors' leaders are calling for an emergency taskforce to be set up to tackle childhood obesity in England.
- Experts argue for drink price plan Sat, 30 Aug 2014 23:22:12 GMT
- Health professionals say they are stepping up efforts to see alcohol minimum pricing in place in Scotland, with a seminar being held in Brussels.
- E-cig liquid 'potentially harmful' Sun, 31 Aug 2014 04:52:13 GMT
- E-cigarette liquid bought on Tyneside contained a potentially harmful chemical, an investigation by BBC Inside Out finds.