"Every artist wants his work to be permanent. But what is? The Aswan Dam covered some of the greatest art in the world. Venice is sinking. Great books and pictures were lost in the Florence floods. In the meantime we still enjoy butterflies."
- BBC refuses to make Top Gear apology Fri, 31 Oct 2014 15:27:44 GMT
- The BBC's Head of TV refuses to make a formal apology over a Top Gear special filmed in Argentina, after demands from the country's ambassador to the UK.
- French radio station catches fire Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:08:49 GMT
- A major fire forces the evacuation of the French national radio building in Paris but there are no immediate reports of casualties.
- Rockets 'destroy chemical weapons' Fri, 31 Oct 2014 12:22:15 GMT
- A team has developed micro-sized rockets, powered by seawater, that can neutralise chemical and biological weapons.
- Wannabe is 'catchiest hit single' Sat, 01 Nov 2014 02:33:07 GMT
- Results from a citizen science online experiment suggests that the Spice Girls' Wannabe is the UK's catchiest hit single.
- UN chief defends Ebola aid workers Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:31:36 GMT
- UN chief Ban Ki-moon says discrimination against humanitarian workers who return home from the Ebola crisis in West Africa is "unacceptable".
- Google developing a cancer detector Tue, 28 Oct 2014 17:35:15 GMT
- Google is attempting to diagnose cancers, heart attack risks and other ailments with a system that combines nanoparticles and a wrist-worn sensor.
- Djokovic ends Murray's winning run Fri, 31 Oct 2014 20:34:27 GMT
- Andy Murray's 11-match winning run comes to an end with defeat by Novak Djokovic in the Paris Masters quarter-finals.
- Hamilton top in second US practice Fri, 31 Oct 2014 21:13:45 GMT
- Lewis Hamilton narrowly edges Mercedes team-mate and title rival Nico Rosberg to fastest time in second practice at the US Grand Prix.
- The channel that's spiced up French TV Fri, 31 Oct 2014 00:06:31 GMT
- For years the French media was set in its ways but a newcomer, BFMTV, has shaken things up - so what's the secret of its success?
- VIDEO: Meet the accidental stormtrooper Fri, 31 Oct 2014 00:08:53 GMT
- Laurie Goode's fleeting role as a Stormtrooper in Star Wars 38 years ago still has an impact on his life today
- Cows to keep Kenyan girls in school Thu, 30 Oct 2014 18:18:27 GMT
- Nine cows will be offered to fathers in areas of northern Kenya to ensure their daughters finish their education, a county governor says.
- Myanmar in rare multi-party talks Fri, 31 Oct 2014 15:06:15 GMT
- Myanmar's president holds rare roundtable talks with the opposition, military and ethnic groups, as the US calls for "credible" elections next year.
- Reduced EU sea mission set to go Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:45:51 GMT
- The EU is to launch a limited operation in the Mediterranean to help Italy stem the flow of migrants from North Africa.
- Colombian Farc in civilian admission Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:43:07 GMT
- Colombia's Farc rebel group acknowledges for the first time that its actions in Latin America's longest internal conflict "affected civilians".
- Mass graves found in western Iraq Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:29:32 GMT
- Scores of bodies of Sunni Muslim tribesmen apparently killed by Islamic State militants are found in mass graves in western Iraq.