"Great nations write their autobiographies in three manuscripts--the book of their deeds, the book of their words and the book of their art."
—John Ruskin (1819-1900) British writer, art critic, Modern Painters
- BBC shows off 'script-changing' radio Thu, 23 May 2013 16:24:16 GMT
- A radio that has the ability to alter scripts and other content depending on its location and other factors is being developed by the BBC.
- Redford impresses Cannes critics Thu, 23 May 2013 14:43:07 GMT
- Robert Redford receives a standing ovation for his performance in his survival-at-sea epic All Is Lost at a Cannes Film Festival screening.
- King receives honour from Obama Thu, 23 May 2013 10:07:24 GMT
- US President Barack Obama honours "living legend" Carole King as he presents her with the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song.
- Genetics of white tigers pinpointed Thu, 23 May 2013 16:23:12 GMT
- Chinese scientists trace the rare white colouration in Bengal tigers to a single change in a gene that affects a host of animals, including humans.
- Iceland expands volcano monitoring Thu, 23 May 2013 07:39:12 GMT
- Installation is under way of an expanded monitoring system for Iceland's volcanoes, which it is hoped will give the world more warning of the next big eruption.
- Universal flu jab 'edges closer' Thu, 23 May 2013 03:13:25 GMT
- A way of creating more effective vaccines which could protect against a broad range of flu viruses has been reported by US researchers.
- Feet home to more than 100 fungi Wed, 22 May 2013 17:00:21 GMT
- Fungi live all over the human body but their favourite spots are the heel, under toenails and between the toes, according to a US study.
- Tour chief sorry for 'coloured' remark Thu, 23 May 2013 15:45:10 GMT
- European Tour chief George O'Grady apologises for using the phrase "coloured athletes" while defending Sergio Garcia.
- Rauf withdrawn from Champions Trophy Thu, 23 May 2013 14:47:59 GMT
- Pakistani umpire Asad Rauf is withdrawn from the Champions Trophy following media reports of an Indian police investigation.
- Is fussball coming home? Wed, 22 May 2013 03:59:19 GMT
- Thousands of football fans are heading to Wembley for Saturday's all-German Champions League final. Is it the home of German football - as well as English?
- Is the English language conquering France? Wed, 22 May 2013 09:30:02 GMT
- French universities could teach in English. For some, this amounts to a betrayal of the national language - for others it's just accepting the inevitable.
- Mozambique mines 'hurt locals' Thu, 23 May 2013 16:44:06 GMT
- International mining companies operating in Mozambique are failing in their obligation to people displaced by coal mining, says Human Rights Watch.
- Bomb attack kills Pakistan police Thu, 23 May 2013 14:40:50 GMT
- A bomb planted in a rickshaw has killed at least 12 people in Quetta in south-west Pakistan, officials say.
- Stockholm riots spread around city Thu, 23 May 2013 14:43:29 GMT
- A fourth night of unprecedented riots in Stockholm sees unrest spread around the city, with a restaurant and up to 40 cars burnt.
- J-Lo to create Latino mobile shops Thu, 23 May 2013 10:34:38 GMT
- A chain of mobile phone stores aimed specifically at the Latino market is to be opened by singer and actress Jennifer Lopez