"Buying books would be a good thing if one could also buy the time to read them in: but as a rule the purchase of books is mistaken for the appropriation of their contents."
—Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860) German philosopher, believed will to live is fundamental reality
- Easy Rider chopper goes under hammer Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:12:50 GMT
- The customised chopper Peter Fonda rode in 1969 film Easy Rider is expected to fetch more than $1 million (£613,000) when it goes up for auction next month.
- Chin strap turns chewing into power Wed, 17 Sep 2014 01:27:12 GMT
- Engineers build a chin strap that harnesses the energy produced by jaw movements, and could one day power hearing aids or bluetooth earpieces.
- Better mobility key for clean cities Wed, 17 Sep 2014 01:29:09 GMT
- Effective urban transit systems can encourage people out of their cars and provide a cost-effective way to tackle climate change, a report suggests.
- British Ebola nurse travels to US Thu, 18 Sep 2014 00:05:23 GMT
- A British nurse who recovered from Ebola travels to the US to donate blood to try to save the life of another victim of the virus.
- Berries in cancer therapy trial Thu, 18 Sep 2014 00:18:03 GMT
- Early research suggests wild berries could play a role in boosting chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer.
- Bayern Munich 1-0 Manchester City Wed, 17 Sep 2014 21:26:23 GMT
- Bayern Munich's Jerome Boateng scores a last-minute winner to deny Manchester City a point in their Champions League opener.
- Chelsea 1-1 FC Schalke 04 Wed, 17 Sep 2014 22:03:33 GMT
- Cesc Fabregas scores his first for Chelsea but they are held to a draw by Schalke in their Champions League group opener.
- The freedivers who swim with whales Tue, 16 Sep 2014 23:16:14 GMT
- A group of researchers who risk their lives to swim side-by-side with sperm whales and humpbacks are hoping to get a unique insight into the animals' behaviour.
- VIDEO: Last of the castanet makers? Tue, 16 Sep 2014 23:30:29 GMT
- Juan Vela is one of very few artisans making traditional, handcrafted castanets for Spanish flamenco.
- South Sudan U-turn on foreigner ban Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:46:09 GMT
- South Sudan's government says it will not expel foreign workers, annulling a controversial decree it issued a day earlier.
- Sony shares fall 12% on loss warning Thu, 18 Sep 2014 01:42:24 GMT
- Sony shares fall by 12% at the start of trade in Tokyo, after it warned of bigger losses for the full year.
- Shares plunge after Russian arrest Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:41:55 GMT
- Russian billionaire Vladimir Yevtushenkov is put under house arrest on suspicion of money-laundering, and shares in his company Sistema tumble.
- Odile storm moves towards Arizona Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:16:04 GMT
- Tropical storm Odile is moving up Mexico's Baja California peninsula, bringing heavy rains and the threat of mudslides and flash floods.
- Dozens killed in Syria air strikes Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:24:15 GMT
- Almost 50 people have been killed by two days of government air strikes in an opposition-held town in central Syria, activists say.
- 'Genius grant' winners announced Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:09:20 GMT
- A physicist, a graphic memoirist and an organiser of home care workers are among this year's recipients of the MacArthur "Genius" grants.