"A man loses contact with reality if he is not surrounded by his books."
—François Maurice Mitterrand (b. 1916) President of France
- VIDEO: TV forecaster breaks endurance record Thu, 18 Sep 2014 16:47:47 GMT
- Eli Kari Gjengedal has broken the world record for continuous weather presenting, with 33 hours on screen.
- VIDEO: London hosts Turner and Constable shows Thu, 18 Sep 2014 19:02:19 GMT
- Rivals in life, two of Britain's greatest painters William Turner and John Constable, are the subjects of major exhibitions in London.
- VIDEO: Intel's new dual-screen laptop Thu, 18 Sep 2014 02:20:36 GMT
- Intel says it has several manufacturers building new computers based on the novel dual-screen laptop concept it has just unveiled.
- VIDEO: China’s online shopping revolution Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:52:53 GMT
- The Chinese internet giant Alibaba is set to raise billions on the US stock exchange and is expected to be one of the biggest share offerings in history.
- VIDEO: First buyer drops brand-new iPhone 6 Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:15:41 GMT
- The first person to buy the iPhone 6 in Perth, Australia, dropped his new gadget during an interview with a TV reporter.
- Slippery banana study wins Ig Nobel Fri, 19 Sep 2014 01:48:00 GMT
- Research that investigated why bananas are slippery when you step on them wins one of this year's Ig Nobel prizes.
- Shares rise in London on 'No' vote Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:49:37 GMT
- Shares rise in London after Scotland rejects independence, as a rally in the pound fades.
- Scottish 'No' vote 'relief' for firms Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:46:30 GMT
- Businesses speak of 'relief' over Scotland's rejection of independence, and banks say they will no longer be shifting operations out of Scotland.
- Google and Apple to force encryption Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:55:04 GMT
- Google and Apple commit to encrypting users' data by default, to protect against hackers and the requests of law enforcement agencies.
- Oracle boss Larry Ellison steps down Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:14:29 GMT
- Multi-billionaire Oracle boss Larry Ellison steps aside to focus on product engineering, as Mark Hurd and Safra Catz are named as co-chief executives.
- Spacey stalker given four years Fri, 19 Sep 2014 07:49:24 GMT
- A woman who engaged in a "persistent and malevolent" cyberstalking campaign against actor Kevin Spacey has been sentenced to more than four years in prison.
- Dancers suing Cher over race Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:29:22 GMT
- Three dancers are suing Cher for race and age discrimination amid claims she said there was "too much colour" on her tour.
- 'Artificial eye' to detect particles Fri, 19 Sep 2014 00:12:25 GMT
- The human eye has inspired physicists to create a processor that can analyse particle collisions 400 times faster than currently possible.
- Forest land rights need global focus Fri, 19 Sep 2014 00:21:47 GMT
- Recognising the land rights of local people could provide cost-effective protection for many of the world's tropical forests, a report says.
- Ebola health team killed in Guinea Fri, 19 Sep 2014 08:58:45 GMT
- Eight members of a team trying to raise awareness about Ebola have been killed by villagers in Guinea, officials say.