"I can tell you, honest friend, what to believe: believe life; it teaches better than book or orator."
—Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832) German writer, scientist, master of poetry, drama and novel
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 07 Mar 2014 04:42:14 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Doctor 'tried to revive Steenkamp' Thu, 06 Mar 2014 13:46:27 GMT
- Lawyers have been cross-examining neighbours of Oscar Pistorius on the fourth day of the athlete's trial for the murder of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp.
- VIDEO: Venezuela breaks ties with Panama Thu, 06 Mar 2014 05:12:24 GMT
- Venezuela's President, Nicolas Maduro, has broken diplomatic relations and frozen economic ties with Panama.
- VIDEO: Plight of malnourished Afghan children Wed, 05 Mar 2014 23:07:43 GMT
- Half of all children under five in Afghanistan are suffering from the effects of malnutrition, according to estimations.
- Lost tourist 'ate flies' to survive Fri, 07 Mar 2014 03:35:31 GMT
- A German tourist who went missing for almost three weeks while walking in Australia's outback survived by eating flies, police say.
- Cowboy 'trick rope physics' revealed Fri, 07 Mar 2014 00:20:47 GMT
- A French scientist has unravelled a formula for trick roping, made famous in Western movies, to teach himself how to lasso like a cowboy.
- Bitcoin not a currency says Japan Fri, 07 Mar 2014 02:15:14 GMT
- Japan's government says Bitcoin is not a currency but that some transactions using the virtual unit should be taxed.
- Staples closes North American stores Thu, 06 Mar 2014 18:12:36 GMT
- American stationer Staples says it will close 225 stores in the US and Canada as sales in the fourth quarter fell 10.6%
- Getty makes 35m photos free to use Thu, 06 Mar 2014 12:27:05 GMT
- Getty Images, the world's largest photo agency, makes millions of its pictures free to use, in an effort to combat piracy.
- Twitter bans porn on Vine app Fri, 07 Mar 2014 04:22:19 GMT
- Video-sharing Twitter app Vine announces a ban on all sexually explicit content from being published on the platform.
- BBC One to get £30m from Three closure Thu, 06 Mar 2014 21:53:13 GMT
- BBC One drama is to receive a £30m boost from the closure of BBC Three as a TV channel, director general Tony Hall announces.
- Mr Selfridge set for third series Thu, 06 Mar 2014 17:00:22 GMT
- ITV period drama Mr Selfridge, starring US actor Jeremy Piven, will return for a third series, the broadcaster announces.
- Teenage elephant mums 'are fitter' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 02:29:52 GMT
- Elephants that give birth as teenagers die younger, but are fitter than mothers that delay, scientists say.
- Restoring bogs 'could cut flooding' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 02:24:27 GMT
- Scientists say restoring peat bogs could help reduce flooding, as the government looks at ways of tackling poor land management.
- Sixteen killed by hospital superbug Fri, 07 Mar 2014 03:26:05 GMT
- Sixteen patients have died in Manchester over the past four years from a highly resistant superbug spreading across North West England, figures show.