"Let us welcome controversial books and controversial authors."
—John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917-63) 35th US President, Democrat, politician
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Mon, 15 Sep 2014 00:40:36 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Pacino's passion: Wilde about Oscar Sun, 14 Sep 2014 10:06:55 GMT
- Actor Al Pacino on his surprise at the contemporary nature of the play Salomé.
- VIDEO: Life in a Donetsk bomb shelter Sat, 13 Sep 2014 11:28:41 GMT
- Fighting in Ukraine has abated but it has not stopped completely and people are still living in fear for their lives.
- VIDEO: Africa Beats: M.anifest Sat, 13 Sep 2014 23:28:59 GMT
- Ghanaian rapper M.Anifest kicks off new season of BBC Africa Beats with a medley of hits
- VIDEO: Therapy to combat Cambodia trauma Sat, 13 Sep 2014 04:08:23 GMT
- A new approach to psychological healing after the genocide in Cambodia combines aspects of psychotherapy with Buddhist meditation
- Samsung accuses LG of damaging goods Sun, 14 Sep 2014 14:00:54 GMT
- A bizarre spat has broken out between South Korean manufacturing giants Samsung and LG, with Samsung accusing its rival of damaging goods in German stores.
- Amy Winehouse statue unveiled Sun, 14 Sep 2014 13:21:58 GMT
- A statue of singer Amy Winehouse is unveiled in Camden on the anniversary of her birthday.
- Heineken rejects SABMiller offer Mon, 15 Sep 2014 01:27:55 GMT
- Dutch brewing giant Heineken has rejected a takeover offer from SABMiller saying the proposal is "non-actionable".
- Novo Banco names new chief executive Sun, 14 Sep 2014 20:20:21 GMT
- Novo Banco, the "good bank" created from troubled Portuguese lender Banco Espirito Santo (BES) names Eduardo Stock da Cunha its new chief executive.
- Twitch malware spends users' money Fri, 12 Sep 2014 17:18:57 GMT
- Malicious links posted on the chat forums of video games streaming site Twitch can spend money without users' authorisation, it has emerged.
- Drag queens in Facebook name row Fri, 12 Sep 2014 16:44:19 GMT
- A group of drag queens have called on Facebook to allow them to use their stage names rather than real names on the social network.
- Actor Sir Donald Sinden dies aged 90 Fri, 12 Sep 2014 14:29:41 GMT
- Theatre, film and TV actor Sir Donald Sinden dies at his home aged 90 following a long illness.
- Crusaders musician Joe Sample dies Sun, 14 Sep 2014 11:45:42 GMT
- US musician Joe Sample, who wrote chart hits including Randy Crawford's Street Life and One Day I'll Fly Away, dies age 75.
- Decision due on comet landing site Sun, 14 Sep 2014 17:13:59 GMT
- The European Space Agency is about to announce the site on Comet 67P where the Rosetta mission will try to make a historic landing.
- Ban on shark trade comes into force Sun, 14 Sep 2014 02:52:44 GMT
- In a significant step forward for shark conservation, all trade in five named species is to be regulated from today.