"Life is a library owned by an author. It has a few books which he wrote himself, but most of them were written for him."
—Harry Emerson Fosdick (1878-1969) American religious leader
- Man dead in suspected terror attack Wed, 22 May 2013 23:12:13 GMT
- A man is killed in a machete attack and two men are shot by police in London in what UK government sources say is a suspected terror incident.
- Boston bomb investigators kill man Wed, 22 May 2013 22:30:13 GMT
- A Florida man was shot and killed as he became violent under questioning by Boston bombing investigators, FBI officials say.
- Nigeria author Achebe to be buried Thu, 23 May 2013 00:25:12 GMT
- Renowned Nigerian author Chinua Achebe, who died in March, is due to be buried in his home town in Anambra state.
- Amnesty condemns abuse 'inaction' Wed, 22 May 2013 23:25:27 GMT
- Amnesty International accuses governments of using state sovereignty as an "excuse" for failing to intervene in emergencies such as in Syria.
- Twitter boosts security after hacks Thu, 23 May 2013 00:02:13 GMT
- Micro-blogging site Twitter says it is bringing in a two-step login for users to beef up security following recent high-profile breaches.
- US reveals four citizen drone deaths Thu, 23 May 2013 00:02:37 GMT
- US Attorney General Eric Holder confirms four American citizens have been killed in US drone strikes in Yemen and Pakistan since 2011.
- EU in drive against tax evasion Wed, 22 May 2013 17:32:37 GMT
- EU leaders say they are committed to tackling tax evasion and will push for global action to curb banking secrecy.
- US mayor to push tornado shelter law Wed, 22 May 2013 20:55:50 GMT
- The mayor of the tornado-devastated town of Moore in Oklahoma vows to push for a new law on shelters, after Monday's deadly twister.
- Germany tops BBC country image poll Wed, 22 May 2013 23:26:58 GMT
- A poll in 25 countries for the BBC World Service suggests Germany is the most favourably viewed country in the world.
- Ai Weiwei song rages against state Wed, 22 May 2013 15:48:30 GMT
- Chinese artist Ai Weiwei releases a foul-mouthed music video in which he recreates his detention and rages against abuses of state power.
- Costa Concordia charges announced Wed, 22 May 2013 14:59:10 GMT
- The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise liner which ran aground off Italy will face trial on 9 July on multiple manslaughter charges, a judge rules.
- Shamed congressman runs for NY mayor Wed, 22 May 2013 15:40:52 GMT
- A former congressman who resigned in disgrace in 2011 over his racy Twitter messages has announced he will run for mayor of New York City.
- Ethiopian awarded anti-FGM prize Wed, 22 May 2013 16:07:49 GMT
- Ethiopian activist Bogaletch Gebre wins an international prize for her campaign to eradicate female genital mutilation (FGM).
- Gif inventor says pronounce it 'Jif' Wed, 22 May 2013 13:55:57 GMT
- The inventor of the Gif image format says it should be pronounced Jif, despite what the Oxford English Dictionary says.
- Venezuela plans toilet paper relief Wed, 22 May 2013 10:21:32 GMT
- Venezuela's National Assembly backs plans to import 39 million rolls of toilet paper, in an effort to relieve a chronic shortage.