"What we become depends on what we read after all the professors have finished with us. The greatest university of all is the collection of books."
—Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881) British historian, essayist
- MI5 'approached Woolwich suspect' Sat, 25 May 2013 00:48:52 GMT
- UK security service MI5 asked London street attack suspect Michael Adebolajo if he wanted to work for them half a year ago, a childhood friend claims.
- French army to begin Mali pullout Sat, 25 May 2013 04:14:50 GMT
- France is set to begin the first major stage of its military withdrawal from Mali, four months after sending troops to push Islamist rebels out the north.
- Dancer 'lied' in Berlusconi sex case Fri, 24 May 2013 19:38:55 GMT
- A dancer alleged to have had paid sex as a minor with Italy's ex-PM Silvio Berlusconi tells a court she lied to investigators in 2010.
- Nigeria Boko Haram camps 'destroyed' Fri, 24 May 2013 20:01:31 GMT
- The Nigerian army says it has destroyed a number of camps used by militant Islamist group, Boko Haram, in the north-east of the country.
- Syria opposition ready to negotiate Sat, 25 May 2013 01:56:43 GMT
- Syria's main opposition coalition says it is willing to attend an peace conference next month only if President Bashar al-Assad agrees to step down.
- Afghan Taliban attack central Kabul Fri, 24 May 2013 19:48:03 GMT
- Afghan security forces battle Taliban insurgents for hours in central Kabul, following an explosion that shook the capital.
- Author investigated for 'clown' gibe Fri, 24 May 2013 22:28:54 GMT
- Portuguese author and journalist Miguel Sousa Tavares is being investigated for calling President Anibal Cavaco Silva "a clown" in an interview.
- Barrick Gold fined for Chile project Fri, 24 May 2013 22:42:47 GMT
- Chilean authorities fine the world's largest gold mining company, Barrick Gold Corp, more than $16m for environmental offences at an Andean mine.
- Toronto's Ford denies 'crack video' Fri, 24 May 2013 22:29:35 GMT
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has denied allegations from a major Canadian newspaper he was caught on camera smoking crack cocaine.
- IMF chief Lagarde made key witness Fri, 24 May 2013 20:28:18 GMT
- A French court does not place IMF head Christine Lagarde under investigation over a payout made when she was finance minister, making her a key witness instead.
- Arizona sheriff 'profiled' Hispanics Sat, 25 May 2013 02:04:02 GMT
- The office of Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, Arizona, improperly targeted Hispanics in patrols for undocumented immigrants, a judge finds.
- China-Swiss free-trade deal sealed Fri, 24 May 2013 21:56:37 GMT
- China and Switzerland sign a memorandum of understanding on a free-trade agreement, the first such deal for China with a major Western economy.
- Lesbian drama is Cannes favourite Fri, 24 May 2013 12:01:30 GMT
- An intimate love story between two young women receives rave reviews in Cannes days before the winner of the Palme d'Or is announced.
- Nasa to lease shuttle launch pad Thu, 23 May 2013 23:26:57 GMT
- Nasa is looking for commercial operators to lease a historic launch pad in Florida used for the first Moon missions and by the space shuttles.
- VIDEO: The book clubs that find bestsellers Fri, 24 May 2013 01:24:23 GMT
- Hookline Books have started a new way of finding bestsellers with book groups at the heart of the decision-making process.