"Life is a wonderful thing to talk about, or to read about in history books - but it is terrible when one has to live it."
—Jean Anouilh (1910-87) French playwright
- Mass rallies mark referendum climax Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:30:15 GMT
- Both sides in the Scottish referendum campaign hold rallies as they make their final efforts to win over undecided voters.
- Ebola can 'ruin W Africa economies' Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:14:18 GMT
- The Ebola outbreak could have a catastrophic economic impact on three West African countries, the World Bank says.
- Obama to address troops on IS plan Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:54:40 GMT
- US President Barack Obama is to address troops involved in his new strategy to "degrade and destroy" Islamic State (IS) in Iraq and Syria.
- Nigeria college attacked by gunmen Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:46:12 GMT
- Gunmen attack a government teacher training college in the northern Nigerian city of Kano.
- Ukraine to vet one million officials Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:32:52 GMT
- Ukraine will screen one million civil servants to root out corrupt practices, Prime Minister Arseniy Yatseniuk says.
- Lagos collapse 'killed S Africans' Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:39:06 GMT
- At least 67 South Africans were killed when a church hostel belonging to Nigerian TV evangelist TB Joshua collapsed in Lagos, President Zuma says.
- Thai murder police quiz two Britons Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:29:55 GMT
- Thai police investigating the murders of two UK tourists on a holiday island say two British men are "possible suspects" and face questioning.
- China leader Xi begins India visit Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:47:43 GMT
- China's President Xi Jinping begins his first official visit to India aiming to improve ties and boost Chinese investment.
- Shares plunge after Russian arrest Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:41:55 GMT
- Russian billionaire Vladimir Yevtushenkov is put under house arrest on suspicion of money-laundering, and shares in his company Sistema tumble.
- Richard III death injuries revealed Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:29:50 GMT
- King Richard III was probably killed by two blows to the head during a "sustained attack", according to new research.
- Dozens killed in Syria air strikes Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:17:46 GMT
- Almost 50 people have been killed by two days of government air strikes in an opposition-held town in central Syria, activists say.
- VIDEO: War ammo found in residential garage Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:05:42 GMT
- Munitions and other artefacts from World War One and World War Two have been found during a raid on a residential garage in St Albans, Hertfordshire.
- VIDEO: Thai murder police to quiz Britons Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:17:10 GMT
- Police investigating the murders of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller in Thailand say two British men are "possible suspects" and will face questioning.
- VIDEO: Politician recovering after bin stunt Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:10:43 GMT
- A politician has told Ukrainian TV he needs to recover "morally, physically and psychologically" after being dumped in a rubbish bin.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:21:44 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.