"Learning is acquired by reading books; but the much more necessary learning, the knowledge of the world, is only to be acquired by reading man, and studying all the various editions of them."
—Philip Dormer Stanhope Chesterfield (1694-1773) [4th Earl of Chesterfield] English politician, writer
- Burkina Faso leader 'to stay on' Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:58:48 GMT
- Burkina Faso's President Blaise Compaore says he will stay in power for a year under a transitional government, despite violent protests.
- Russia and Ukraine agree gas deal Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:08:33 GMT
- Russia will resume gas deliveries to Ukraine this winter in a deal brokered by the European Union, which will also safeguard supplies to EU countries.
- US police killing suspect captured Fri, 31 Oct 2014 03:17:18 GMT
- A US man who has eluded police in the forests of Pennsylvania for seven weeks after the fatal shooting of a police officer has been found.
- Medical charity decries US quarantines Fri, 31 Oct 2014 02:36:53 GMT
- Officials with Doctors Without Borders have warned that some mandatory US state Ebola quarantines are having a "chilling effect" on operations.
- Drones buzz French nuclear plants Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:45:15 GMT
- An investigation begins after France's state-owned EDF power company says unidentified drones have flown over seven of its nuclear plants.
- Key Jerusalem holy site 'to reopen' Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:47:43 GMT
- Israel promises to reopen a key Jerusalem holy site after closing it following the shooting of a Jewish activist.
- Mass graves found in western Iraq Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:19:05 GMT
- Scores of bodies of Sunni Muslim tribesmen apparently killed by Islamic State militants are found in mass graves in western Iraq.
- Four dead in Kansas airport crash Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:45:27 GMT
- At least four people were killed and five injured when a small plane crashed into an airport building in Wichita, Kansas, officials say.
- Polanski freed after US arrest bid Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:40:23 GMT
- US attempts to have director Roman Polanski arrested for sex offences while visiting Poland fail.
- Iraqi Kurd fighters 'enter Kobane' Thu, 30 Oct 2014 18:59:52 GMT
- An advance party of 10 Iraqi Kurd fighters have entered the Syrian border town of Kobane to join the battle against Islamic State militants, activists say.
- Pirate Bay founder faces jail term Thu, 30 Oct 2014 16:52:50 GMT
- Pirate Bay co-founder Gottfrid Warg could face a lengthy prison sentence after being found guilty of hacking into Danish computers.
- VIDEO: Where are Mexico's missing students? Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:36:00 GMT
- The Mexican president has met with the families of 43 students who went missing in September, following clashes with police.
- VIDEO: Tower poppies artist hails volunteers Thu, 30 Oct 2014 19:09:22 GMT
- The artist behind a project to place almost 900,000 ceramic poppies around the Tower of London says he is surprised and happy that so many people have "taken it to heart".
- VIDEO: Stars glow at Interstellar premiere Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:22:09 GMT
- The stars of Christopher Nolan's much-anticipated Interstellar praise its "ambition" at the film's European premiere.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 31 Oct 2014 02:56:30 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.