"Never read a book that is not a year old."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Ukraine 'slipping out of control' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 18:09:30 GMT
- The Ukraine crisis is "slipping out of control", Germany's foreign minister warns as EU leaders prepare to discuss new sanctions against Russia.
- UK's terror threat level raised Fri, 29 Aug 2014 18:04:29 GMT
- The UK's terror threat level is raised from "substantial" to "severe" in response to conflicts in Iraq and Syria, the government announces.
- Test Ebola drug '100% effective' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:00:16 GMT
- The only trial data on the experimental Ebola drug ZMapp shows it is 100% effective in monkey studies, even in later stages of the infection.
- Kurds 'take Iraq oilfields from IS' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 15:07:59 GMT
- Kurdish forces say they have retaken oilfields near Mosul in north Iraq from Islamic State, but retreating militants blow up three installations.
- Iceland's volcano ash alert lifted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:33:56 GMT
- An eruption near Iceland's Bardarbunga volcano that briefly threatened air travel has ended, local officials say.
- Cold War US spy dies in prison Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:17:59 GMT
- A former US navy sailor who led a spy ring for the Soviet Union has died in a prison medical centre at the age of 77.
- IMF voices 'confidence' in Lagarde Fri, 29 Aug 2014 22:08:23 GMT
- The International Monetary Fund expresses confidence in its leader Christine Lagarde, despite her being formally investigated for negligence in France.
- Cave-in traps Nicaragua gold miners Fri, 29 Aug 2014 22:14:57 GMT
- Rescue workers in Nicaragua are trying to reach at least 24 workers trapped by a cave-in at a gold mine in the north of the country.
- Brazil's economy enters recession Fri, 29 Aug 2014 13:54:17 GMT
- A contraction of 0.6% in Brazil's economy between April and June, and a revision of the first quarter, has pushed the country into recession, latest figures show.
- US steps up sanctions over Iran Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:54:03 GMT
- The US has imposed new sanctions on companies and individuals in connection with Iran's nuclear programme.
- MSN Messenger to end after 15 years Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:48:01 GMT
- Microsoft's MSN Messenger will be switched off in China in October, bringing a final end to the 15-year-old service.
- Myanmar census shows 9m shortfall Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:42:33 GMT
- The first national census since 1983 reveals that Myanmar has 9 million fewer people than the 60 million the government had estimated.
- VIDEO: 100-year-old tortoise is on the move Fri, 29 Aug 2014 05:06:41 GMT
- An extremely rare Galapagos tortoise thought to be 100 years old has been given a new home at a zoo in Ohio.
- VIDEO: Song of a four-storey 'earth harp' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:31:30 GMT
- William Close is the inventor of the 'Earth Harp', a musical instrument which makes use of the architecture around it to create its sound.
- VIDEO: Brazil dismantles Amazon 'destroyers' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 03:22:05 GMT
- Police in northern Brazil say they are in the process of dismantling one of the country's biggest environmental criminal gangs.