"There is no reason why the same man should like the same book at 18 and at 48."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- First US strike under new IS plan Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:01:53 GMT
- The US has carried out an air strike in support of Iraqi troops under attack by Islamic State, the military says, the first under an expanded mission.
- Ukraine and EU to ratify key pact Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:27:28 GMT
- Ukrainian MPs and the European Parliament are set to ratify a key EU association pact criticised by Russia.
- Campaigns seize on Scotland pledge Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:18:01 GMT
- The pro-independence camp in Scotland calls a devolution pledge by the main UK parties an "insult" while pro-union campaigners hail it as a "vision".
- Obama 'to pledge troops for Ebola' Tue, 16 Sep 2014 06:52:14 GMT
- President Obama is to announce plans to send 3,000 troops to Liberia to help fight the Ebola virus, US officials say.
- Climate change remedies 'affordable' Tue, 16 Sep 2014 05:57:55 GMT
- A global commission says the extra costs of tackling climate change will be 'modest', but doing nothing could put the world economy at risk.
- Nato troops killed in Kabul bombing Tue, 16 Sep 2014 07:12:02 GMT
- A Taliban suicide car bomber attacks a foreign military convoy in the Afghan capital, Kabul, killing three Nato soldiers and injuring at least 16 civilians.
- Six police killed in Egypt bombing Tue, 16 Sep 2014 07:47:25 GMT
- Six Egyptian policemen have been killed by a roadside bomb in the Sinai peninsula, the interior ministry says.
- Alibaba raises price of share sale Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:48:05 GMT
- Chinese online giant Alibaba increases the price range of its initial public offering, meaning it could raise more than $25bn when it lists in New York.
- Death sentence for Nigeria mutineers Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:10:34 GMT
- Twelve Nigerian soldiers are sentenced to death for mutiny after shots were fired at their commanding officer in the city of Maiduguri in May.
- Police search after Thailand deaths Tue, 16 Sep 2014 03:40:42 GMT
- Police in Thailand continue to search for a man they want to speak to in connection with the deaths of two British tourists on the island of Koh Tao.
- Typhoon Kalmaegi hits southern China Tue, 16 Sep 2014 07:26:48 GMT
- Tens of thousands of Chinese are evacuated as Typhoon Kalmaegi lands in Hainan province, after barrelling past the Philippines and Hong Kong.
- Belgian murderer wins 'right to die' Mon, 15 Sep 2014 19:34:41 GMT
- A Belgian man serving a life sentence for rape and murder will be allowed to have doctors end his life, after a landmark ruling.
- VIDEO: Ivory Coast's homegrown tablet Mon, 15 Sep 2014 23:01:16 GMT
- How an Ivory Coast company developed a tablet computer which is being introduced in the country's schools.
- VIDEO: Why are London pavements exploding? Mon, 15 Sep 2014 20:43:13 GMT
- Two van drivers had a lucky escape after a pavement explosion in central London which was caught on CCTV.
- VIDEO: Dr Edhi: A life helping Pakistan's poor Tue, 16 Sep 2014 01:06:37 GMT
- Sixty years ago, Abdul Sattar Edhi gave up everything to start a charitable organisation, dedicated to improving the lives of the poor in Pakistan.