"Men do not understand books until they have had a certain amount of life, or at any rate no man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least part of its contents."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- Obama: Russia causing Ukraine crisis Fri, 29 Aug 2014 01:08:12 GMT
- US President Barack Obama accuses Russia of being responsible for the violence in eastern Ukraine, as Nato prepares to hold an emergency meeting.
- IS militants 'behead Kurdish man' Thu, 28 Aug 2014 23:26:27 GMT
- The Islamic State group releases a video appearing to show militants killing a Kurdish man as a warning to forces fighting it in northern Iraq.
- No charges in US accidental shooting Fri, 29 Aug 2014 02:26:49 GMT
- Officials say there will be no charges for a nine-year-old girl who killed her shooting instructor by accident.
- Ford 'threatened' fellow school coach Fri, 29 Aug 2014 01:33:38 GMT
- As a youth football coach, Toronto Mayor Rob Ford allegedly threatened a teacher and made players roll in goose droppings, newly released documents say.
- Ebola Africa travel bans to be axed Thu, 28 Aug 2014 23:05:07 GMT
- West African health ministers meeting in Ghana follow WHO advice and lift travel restrictions on countries affected by the Ebola outbreak.
- UN peacekeepers held in Golan Fri, 29 Aug 2014 02:50:34 GMT
- Forty-three UN peacekeepers are being held by an armed group in the Syrian Golan Heights, amid heavy fighting between rebels and the army.
- Google trials drone deliveries Thu, 28 Aug 2014 22:00:23 GMT
- Google reveals it has built and tested its own drones as part of a plan to make automated deliveries to remote homes as well as disaster-hit zones.
- Erdogan sworn in as Turkey president Thu, 28 Aug 2014 20:48:45 GMT
- Recep Tayyip Erdogan is officially sworn in as Turkish president after winning the country's first ever public vote for head of state.
- Nigeria launches electronic ID cards Thu, 28 Aug 2014 18:45:51 GMT
- Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan formally launches a national electronic identity card, which can also be used to make payments.
- Historic Afghan minaret 'threatened' Thu, 28 Aug 2014 15:21:54 GMT
- One of Afghanistan's architectural marvels, the minaret of Jam in Ghor province, is in danger of collapse, officials tell the BBC.
- Police seize video gamer live on cam Thu, 28 Aug 2014 16:06:35 GMT
- Armed police dramatically raid the office of a video gamer near Denver, US - and the incident was broadcast live online.
- VIDEO: Police seize gamer during live broadcast Thu, 28 Aug 2014 15:22:53 GMT
- A video gamer in Denver was dramatically involved in a raid by armed police acting on an assumed hoax call - and the incident was broadcast live online.
- VIDEO: Song of a four-storey 'earth harp' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:31:30 GMT
- William Close is the inventor of the 'Earth Harp', a musical instrument which makes use of the architecture around it to create its sound.
- VIDEO: Millionaires search Med for migrants Thu, 28 Aug 2014 23:02:35 GMT
- A philanthropist couple have launched what they say is the world's first privately funded boat to help migrants in trouble at sea.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 29 Aug 2014 02:35:49 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.